Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hid Headlights.

zulu

I managed to change my headlights to HID (6000k) today. Lot of scratches on my hands.

I can drive my car in the nights finally. :D :D .

I managed to change my headlights to HID (6000k) today. Lot of scratches on my hands.

Have you also fitted self-levelling and headlight washers as required by law??:)

I quite like the HID lights , I have them on my Lexus and they are also self levelling and cleaning and even see round corners ..

Go on you know you want one ! :rolleyes:

To zulu & Jamesbelfast.

Glad to hear you can now see the road in front of you. But just a clarification from Jamesbelfast please regarding legality of HID kits. When you say self-levelling lights, do you mean rotary switch in car next to h/lamp switch or by some other means. Also, what exactly is the purpose of h/lamp washers apart from keeping h/lamps clean. Just to use an older car for example ie: BMW 3/5 series had seperate headlamps for dipped & main beams with wash/wipe kits. Why does it appear that newer models with xenon lights straight from the showroom have done away with the little h/lamp Wiper Blades & just have washer jets instead.

Regards, Beagh.

Makes a big difference, I too converted (I can see the light).....anyway just some other info...I also got rid of the dull yellow sidelight by simply replacing the wedge bulb with an LED wedge bulb (as recommende by a fellow member)....it's a perfect match. Checkout link if you want to change. It says its from the US but ignore that as its from Hong Kong so delivery may take upto 14 days and its easy to fit so less scratches....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

To zulu & Jamesbelfast.

Glad to hear you can now see the road in front of you. But just a clarification from Jamesbelfast please regarding legality of HID kits. When you say self-levelling lights, do you mean rotary switch in car next to h/lamp switch or by some other means. Also, what exactly is the purpose of h/lamp washers apart from keeping h/lamps clean. Just to use an older car for example ie: BMW 3/5 series had seperate headlamps for dipped & main beams with wash/wipe kits. Why does it appear that newer models with Xenon lights straight from the showroom have done away with the little h/lamp wiper blades & just have washer jets instead.

Regards, Beagh.

Under EU legislation and guidance HID lighting fitted to cars must have a self-levelling system. The self leveling system must be automatic with no input from the driver. This is usually operated via links to both the front and rear suspension integrated with a controller and motors incorporated into the headlight system. Also as the lenses of HID lights are quite different to that of standard headlights any dirt which accumlates on the lens will produce a strong dazzling effect to other road users. Technically HID lights which don't conform to the EU standards can in effect be illegal and I woud suspect insurers to take a dim view of such.

For further information and the Dept of Transports ruling on the topic of fitting HID lighting systems see the link below.

Also note in summary they clearly state:- It is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links