Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Irritating Bug In The Auto Gearbox

St Thicket

Hi

Don't know if there are anyone here that has an E12 with automatic gearbox (not MMT), but I have lately noticed a slight change in behaviour from the gearbox. Sometimes it won't engage the overdrive.

Normally when I drive down a long hill, I brake lightly, and the overdrive disengages, so that the revs increase and the speed is maintained and will not exceed noticeably. When I then touch lightly on the accelerator, the overdrive engage, revs decrease and car will start rolling so that the speed increase with gravity. This will now not happen! I kan press the accelerator as much as I'd like, and it's still in overdrive! To engage overdrive, I have to press O/D button twice.

Another thing that I noticed today on my way to work was that the overdrive suddenly kicked in without any actions from me. I was just rolling down a slope, and did't touch the brakes at all. This has never happened before. I tried excessively to activate overdrive again without pressing the O/D button, but it just wouldn't.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Could it be any sensors that might be faulty?

I have an e12 with a proper auto box ( not MMT)

Are you referring to dropping a gear by pressing the button on the handle of the auto selector, that shows a yellow light on the speedo. If not I have never know mine to change down a gear by itself when going down a hill. I sometimes wish it would.

Perhaps yours is different from mine

I have an e12 with a proper auto box ( not MMT)

Are you referring to dropping a gear by pressing the button on the handle of the auto selector, that shows a yellow light on the speedo. If not I have never know mine to change down a gear by itself when going down a hill. I sometimes wish it would.

Perhaps yours is different from mine

Yeah, I have the proper gearbox. It will disengage the overdrive (without having to press the button) if you press lightly on the brakes for a couple of seconds. Then it will keep the overdrive disengaged until you press the accelerator again. This feature is not working properly any more.

I wish mine would do that. I have to use the button on the handle of the selector.

Hope you manage to get it fixed, does sound like a sensor.

Best wishes

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like it was the newly installed LED tail lights that made the gearbox act strangely. When I replaced the LEDs with the old bulbs, everything went OK again... So now you're warned!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links