Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Dress!pics

geocool69

alright id like to give my engine some tarty clothes and was wondering what i can do to the rocker cover.......

can it be cromed?

can u powder coate it

or would i be better off using heat resistance paint...

does anyone know where i can get any type of anodised bolts and screws

and other things like braided lines.

does samko do a hose kit at all?

sorry for all the questions but id rather put them all in one post.

some pics to give u a ruff idea wha im on about

cars_350sm.jpg

cars_348sm.jpg

Can't be chromed - it would dissolve in the process. It could be painted with chrome paint if required but this is painting, not chroming.

Can be polished (you can do this yourself)

Could be powder coated (although care required to block off all oil ways and to prevent powder getting places it shouldn't) and there is a slim possibility that it could warp and then not seal

Could be painted with engine paint (again diy)

Anodised (aluminium) bolts can be bought from places like Demon Tweeks. Stainless Steel bolts can also be bought.

Braided hoses can be made - either the proper way of replacing the hose, or the Max Power way of just slipping braiding over the standard hoses (can look messy)

Silicon hoses can be made up. I know Samco have hoses for the turbo, but most of these won't do... Samco are expensive. There are cheaper silicon hose suppliers.

If your talking about aluminium cam covers then they can certainly be chromed. The ones on the 4A-GZE in my Corolla have been done.

Those braided hose covers are universal, and you can cut them to the legth you need

I've seen a 5E-FE chrome valve cover on eBay here, so apparently it can be done

Bolts and screws are also universal

Plating aluminium is not straightforward. It requires a number of procedures to prepare the surface, so you actually plating something else... If it goes wrong, it could be an ugly mess or even worse.... The easiest and safest option is to use chrome paint or to polish them. A nicely polished head is cheap to do, gives satisfaction as you've done it yourself. and safe.

Bolts and screws are universal - yes and no. Automotive fasteners yes, although pay attention to both the pitch and also the length. If the bolt is too long it could bottom in its drilling, giving the impression of being tight when actually its not making a good seal This can cause leaks. To short and there are other problems.

Andrew

you can use ordinary auto paint to spray the cam cover but there are some key points for it to be succesful:-

1, it needs to be 100% clean (have it alcaline dipped at most engineering shops) then clean with solvent eg white gas or cellulose thinners)

2, you will then need to apply 1 or 2 coats of Etch primer

3, a few coats of ordinary primer

4, flat down with 800grit wet 'n' dry but dont go through the etch primer

5, dry and tack wipe to remove any dust etc

6, apply chosen top coat and a good few coats of clear coat

7, allow to dry (best to use gentle heat)

8 stand back and admire your handi work

Depends on moisture. You could paint it with a clear coat afterwards.

I don't know the process of chrome plating but I spoke to the guys at Freeline Electroplating in Cardiff and they did a superb job for me. They advised against plating my stainless steel intercooler pipes and polished then instead. cam_covers2.jpg

Now all I have to do is the rest of the engine :o

I don't know the process of chrome plating but I spoke to the guys at Freeline Electroplating in Cardiff and they did a superb job for me. They advised against plating my stainless steel intercooler pipes and polished then instead. cam_covers2.jpg

Now all I have to do is the rest of the engine :o

:eek: wow is that ur bay!?

from just polishing????

The intercooler pipes are polished the cam covers have been chromed.

andrew ive heard if u use a clear coat iutgoes a horible brown ocolour after a while....

ae111sr could i do get my cam cover electro plated like yours...

how much did that skin u....?

:blink: dumb question but.....

What would you use to polish the engine?

Its just i was thinking bout painting some engine components but think that the super clean look looks cool.

I just would like my engine to shine a bit better. :thumbsup:

post-47-1076590694.jpg

Autoglym do a metal polish that works great on alloy :thumbsup:

Might be a bit fiddly on the rocker cover with its ridges but a polishing mop on a drill would sort it. PS. I'd remove it first though ;)

:blink: dumb question but.....

Its just i was thinking bout painting some engine components but think that the super clean look looks cool.

I just would like my engine to shine a bit better. :thumbsup:

Best thing to do first is remove your rocker cover.

I know it sounds harsh but:

Rub it down with rough, medium & then fine emory paper to get rid if the casting defects etc

After you have done this it should look pretty nice

Then I would use a good metal polish with some elbow grease!!!!

Or you could use a polishing mop on a drill.

This should last for quite some time, but it wouldn't harm giving it another polish every few months

Hope this helps

Nath :thumbsup:

thank you people, yeah i use auto glym polish and stuff on my car and it brings it up a treat, i might have to give that a go. I wana make sure that my car is looking lovely for JAE. :thumbsup:

The emory cloth part is important. As you need to get rid of all those nasty nobbly bits and casting defects.

Once you have doen that it Should be realatively easy to polish

Nath :hokus-pokus:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links