Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Followed Advice On Here, But Still Cant Fix

gramps99

hi everybody,

OK, where to start, the engine light came on, on my 2001 rav4 2.0 petrol NRG a while back. it runs fine but it failed the mot on emissions. i did a lot of searching on here as i know a lot of topics keep getting brought up which have already been covered. anyway i brought a obd11 tool from eBay as recommended and got the fault P1155. after more searching i found that it was the top left sensor as you stand looking at the engine.

as i have been made redundant recently i thought i would give a universal sensor a try. they work for some but not others, but at £17 i thought it worth a shot. it arrived i cut the plug off the original sensor and connected it to the universal one. i cleared the fault code and fitted the universal sensor. i started the car and the light stayed out..........for about 20 seconds :( i tried the process again, same thing happened. i thought i would double check i was working on the correct sensor as when doing my research on here there was a little confusion as to which position bank 2 sensor 1 actually was. i disconnected the right hand sensor and this brought up a different code, so i was confident i was working on the correct sensor.

right time to bite the bullet and fork out for an original equipment sensor :( i found one on eBay, denso original equipment sensor £80 delivered. i just fitted it after clearing the code. fired the car up and the light stayed out...... yep you guessed for about 20 seconds ! i rechecked the fault code and its still P1155 !

its the only code coming up and i cant find any other info except for it being the sensor i have changed :rolleyes: i am now past my mot return within 10 days and only pay for a part test aswell :(

so any ideas chaps as i am at my Witt's end.......and the bottom of my wallet :rolleyes:

thanks in advance

There is a really good diagram of a 4.2 VVTi engine and the position of the sensors.

Can anybody find it?

I've got more info to say it is bank 1 sensor 2 but I'd just like to look.

Gramps

Most of my info on 4.2s is for diesels but it might be worth going on the techdocs site and have a rummage. It costs about £3 and you can download any pdfs of interest

We'd probably have to find you a ECU connector pin out, but is it worth just checking the harness continuity (short to ground and open cct) from the sensor plug back to the EMS ECU main connector? Probably not that, but possibly worth eliminating maybe?

....or checking/measuring the voltage across or current into the heater?

well had another play today. i cleared the codes again and unplugged the 2 sensor at the lower of the engine, this didn't make any difference, no extra codes at all ? strange. but it still leads me to believe i am playing with the correct sensor as like i said before when i unplugged the other top sensor i got a different code. anyway i rang the company i got the sensor from and they double checked it was the correct sensor which it seems to be....but he said if it doesn't put the light out send it back and we will send you a different type of sensor as sometimes it doesn't put the light out and needs a different type (think he mentioned that the type i have now is a zirconia sensor) so i will send it back and await the other sensor

will let you know how i get on, if the light doesn't go out i will be stuck as i dont know enough to play around with other stuff/check things with meters etc. also a bit stuck as the car is off the road with no tax so i think can only be taken on the road to a pre booked mot ? if thats correct i cant even take it to a garage can i ?

• 1 month later...

just ordered one of these (made in gold) on just lambda for £117 :o :o

just shoking what parts for jap cars do cost...

just ordered one of these (made in gold) on just lambda for £117 :o :o

just shoking what parts for jap cars do cost...

Try swappin the wires over on the non gen sensor before you buy a gen. they can sometimes be the wrong way round on non gen sensor wiring.

2 blacks wire should have continuity ( heater side of the sensor)

1 blue wire and 1 white wire should be the votlage side ( this is were the confusion can happen try swappin these 2 round).

regards.

These sensors are getting to be notoriously difficuilt for the vast majority of people. In past experience of the same faulty sensor I too bought an off the shelf Universal sensor ;) thinking I was saving money........wrong I may as well flushed it down the pan! You get what you pay for with these little babies & if you value your Rav then respect it by buying the best.

When fitting try not to touch the the "sensor" tip as any contamination can cause a failure-follow the instructions by the book & you should be ok :D

However this does not mean that the sensor supplied is not faulted to begin with :( A good reputable dealer will replace it as soon as & hopefully your pride & joy will be back purring like a kitten B)

Good Luck & Happy motoring :thumbsup:

i have tested the failed sensor with my multimeter before i forked out the £ :)

mr t wanted to have £159 plus VAT for the sensor...

i should just keep sailing left? :laughing:

any how the 5dr is for sale so any one wants her? pm me

started at 8:06 and finished at 8:31, all done!

cost for me £117. looking at an old bill of the 3dr from jan 2008 of £274.34 plus not having the car for halve a day. i cannot really justify that kind of monies...

thanks to this new A / F sensor it passed MOT with flying colours this morning! :thumbsup:

@puma, thanks

but i rather spend that money on my boat :rolleyes:

bear in mind that my MPG dropped from about 33mpg to 29mpg with this broken sensor! :o and with these fuel prices well worth to fix it!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links