Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New To Mr2 Automatic Ownership ...

odin the terrible

Greetings one and all ...

Have just acquired a MK2 Rev1 Automatic, Japanese import with the original Japanese scripting on much of the cars identification/info stickers and with a really odd ... well, what I perceive to be original Japanese short form 'Frame number' instead of the usual 17 character VIN codes.

As a newcomer a MR2 Automatic ownership I wonder if one or other of you kind souls might like to throw a little light onto one or two areas where some 'translation' might be of use ?!!? LOL ... namely, the following :

red-button.jpg

It's the red button next to the automatic gear shift lever ... has scripting in both black on white and white on black ... but doesn't appear to do anything when pressed in or depressed !

Anyone got any idea as to what it's for ???

fog-switch.jpg

Fog light switch on dash just under the ignition key... it's a rocker switch ... says fog on the bottom and Japanese script on the top. I assume that the switch when down operates the rear fog ... but when u press the top ... ??? Anyone got a clue ???

ect-s.jpg

ECT-S has 2 coloured lights in the Rev counter which are activeted from 2 buttons below the Automatic shift ... press either button and the light comes on and press again and the light goes out (manual and power) ... trouble is they don't seem to have any effect on the car. Anyone care to enlighten me ???

And finally ... the heated rear window doesn't appear to be working ... the switch on the dash illuminates OK but the window doesn't defog ... I've looked everywhere but can't find any reference to a fuse for the heater. Does anyone know where it may be lurking ???

Apart from that the only other button which I know for sure DOES work is the OverDrive button on the side of the Automatic shift ... it DOES activate and deactivate the overdrive !!! LOL

Any assistance would be gratefully accepted as I don't have any sort of user/operating manual for the car. Many, many thanks in anticipation.

Regards

O T T

From what I understand...

MANU = Economy mode for the auto box, gear changes happen at lower revs and are smoother.

PWR = Power mode, gear changes happen higher in the rev range for a more sporty and aggressive drive.

With neither switched on I guess the you will be in normal mode.

Red button next to the gear stick - At first I thought it was overdrive, but as you said that works then I guess it's not that button, so I googled it.. It could be to allow the gear stick to go into neutral without the key being in the ignition.. perhaps if it needs to be towed etc.

Most of the questions your asking refer to standard automatic transmission operation.

It's the shift lock button, as said allows you to move the selector with no key in, it's for emergency purposes more than anything.

Manu, may be snow mode, starts off in 2nd gear rather than 1st, PWR means gears are held onto longer before changing.

Many thanks for the input ;)

Looks like I can skip the Japanese night school classes now LOL

O T T

O T T

as all the above have said regarding the auto box

the fog light swith is for steering fogs on the front (no rear fog fitted as standard)

as you say its a rocker switch ,at the top the fogs are on and in steering mode ,they move with the steering

centre is off

and the bottom is fogs on but not steering

O T T

as all the above have said regarding the auto box

the fog light swith is for steering fogs on the front (no rear fog fitted as standard)

as you say its a rocker switch ,at the top the fogs are on and in steering mode ,they move with the steering

centre is off

and the bottom is fogs on but not steering

Many thanks

The "red button" along with all the other questions have been covered MANY times on this forum alone.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links