Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mot Advisories!

z-tune-z2

Just had my car back from the garage and have a few advisories...

Firstly, it states that my front brake discs are 'slightly' pitted. How concerned should I be with this?

Secondly, my nearside front steering rack gaiter is twisted. This would be due to my recent accident, the car was fully repaired by one of my insurers 'approved' garages. Again, how concerned should I be about this? Should I talk to my insurance about it?

Thanks!

By themselves slight pitting (caused by rust) to the front disks is nothing to worry about. BUT, if you park in the wet - and have not applied the brakes to stop hard enough to dry any water on the disk - or if rain gets onto the disk - the small pit will collect water and rust more and more until a small pit becomes bigger..and then you get ridges and the disk needs to be replaced...

Having said that our Peugeot 106 has had pitting to its front disks for the past 10 years ... I just brake very hard occasionally to remove any rust.

A twisted rubber seal will eventually break and spill grease. You want to loosen it, untwist it and retighten..

I would'nt be too concerned if i was you. If the discs were pitted quite badly, the car would have failed it's MOT.

I had an advisory last MOT about my front discs being quite worn and "Lipped" but it still passed and they still worked well enough to pass the test.

I eventually changed them as the pads needed doing anyway so i did them both at the same time.

As for the gaitor, i would do as madasafish suggests and it should be fine. ;)

Thanks for the replies!

With readjusting the gaitor, would it be silly to go to my insurance and ask them to fix it? I have no idea where to start with doing such a job. The garage that fixed it was on of their approved ones and appear to have not put the gaitor in its proper place.

Also, does anyone know how long it would take for the gaitor to split or open up? Is it such a huge concern that I should stop driving immediately?

z-tune, take the car back where you got it's MOT done and ask them to adjust the gaitor, should only take them 5mins or so. ;)

z-tune, take the car back where you got it's MOT done and ask them to adjust the gaitor, should only take them 5mins or so. ;)

I'm afraid I already asked my insurance to deal with it, as it was their garage that installed the gaitor in this manner! Won't be done for another week or so, I do not plan on driving it at all, bar a 140 mile journey.

If I were to ask the guys who did my MOT and service to do it, wouldn't they charge me? I had it done at a Toyota dealer actually. When I collected the car, they came out and told me it'd passed and then pointed out the advisory :huh: Didn't ask if I wanted them to fix it or anything...!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links