Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Squeak From Engine

11nash

Have had a squeak coming from the engine for around 12 months on my 2007 (57 plate) Yaris. Been back to the dealers on numerous occasions and had the fan belt tightened, pulley replaced, air conditioning compressor and water pump replaced but the squeak is still there.

It happens when the car reaches 2,000 rpm plus and can occur in any gear.

Also, around three months ago the car developed an exhaust blowing noise when applying full throttle at low revs (between 1,000 - 1,500rpm). The dealer has said that this was the gear cable that was vibrating on the exhaust, but after being tightened three times the noise still happens.

The car has been in again today and they have now said that they have contacted Toyota technical support who have said that both are considered to be normal and occur due to design problems.

Don't believe the dealer and am going to take it to another Toyota approved service garage.

Any one heard of either of these problems?? or can anybody tell me what they may be caused by?

Thanks

Welcome to Yaris oc ;)

To say these problems are considered normal and due to design problems seems laughable to me and i wouldn't buy that aswell.

What model is your Yaris, is it petrol or diesel? If it's a deisel it could be a turbo problem maybe?

I would do exactly as you are in taking it to another dealership to have it fully investigated.

Can't help anymore unfortunately but there must be somebody on here with an 07 Yaris who could help more.

Good luck and keep us posted. ;)

Welcome to Yaris oc ;)

To say these problems are considered normal and due to design problems seems laughable to me and i wouldn't buy that aswell.

What model is your Yaris, is it petrol or diesel? If it's a deisel it could be a turbo problem maybe?

I would do exactly as you are in taking it to another dealership to have it fully investigated.

Can't help anymore unfortunately but there must be somebody on here with an 07 Yaris who could help more.

Good luck and keep us posted. ;)

Have had a squeak coming from the engine for around 12 months on my 2007 (57 plate) Yaris. Been back to the dealers on numerous occasions and had the fan belt tightened, pulley replaced, air conditioning compressor and water pump replaced but the squeak is still there.

Also, around three months ago the car developed an exhaust blowing noise when applying full throttle at low revs (between 1,000 - 1,500rpm). The dealer has said that this was the gear cable that was vibrating on the exhaust, but after being tightened three times the noise still happens.

The car has been in again today and they have now said that they have contacted Toyota technical support who have said that both are considered to be normal and occur due to design problems.

Don't believe the dealer and am going to take it to another Toyota approved service garage.

Any one heard of either of these problems?? or can anybody tell me what they may be caused by?

Thanks

Try running the A/C for 10 mins every 2 weeks, as the coolant contains a lubricant, which is needed by the seals, -- they dry up and leak if you don't run the system. (the A/C won't run below 4 deg C). The water pump in the 3-cylinder 1-litre engine is a well known problem. My wife's Aygo, with that engine got a new pump and radiator, after the mechanic noticed a leak at the pump at its 1st Service, and by the time the pump arrived, I noticed the top plastic tank on the radiator was leaking. (porous pump casting;-- new pump has a different pulley).

If engine IS the 3-cylinder unit, the latest version of it is fitted with a quiet-running rubber-mounted pulley on the auxilliaries belt;-- possibly a straight swap with the older one. That is on the 2009 Aygo improvements.

My father was a mechanic all his life, and he used to test rubber belts for noise by pouring water on them while the engine is running;-- no effect on noise=not the belt.

P.S., make sure the engine oil viscosity is 5W30, as some dealers think 10W30, or even 10W40 is OK.--- in the cold temperatures of the U.K., the 5W30 spec. must be used, just look at the trend to 0W20, as used in the '09 Aygo, to ensure rapid delivery of lube around the engine. 0W20 is expensive, but not so bad for a dealer, buying from Toyota, in bulk batches.

Thanks

I know this may sound daft but we had a squeak that sounded like it was coming from the engine but managed to trace it to the ventilation duct, you can tell if the noise is from the same place by gently moving the vent control knob to a different setting whilst driving (it only did it at 30mph plus).If the noise goes away then you know it's nothing serious.(As yet still haven't found a cure) The only other squeak we had was from the drive belts and pullies, which has been covered in a previous thread.

Hope this helps.

Merry Christmas!

I have had a high pitched Intermittent Squeak on my 2008 1.3 Pet. Yaris from New, generally it only occurs when the engine is hot, or in warm whether conditions, I have isolated the squeak to the Clutch Thrust Bearing, = if you drive along in a high gear 30mph,ish, preferable on a downward gradient, then throttle back, press Clutch Pedal to floor for 3 or 4 Secs, if the Squeak has gone and returns when you raise the pedal it's Probably Thrust Bearing,

Best Wishes for a :thumbsup: Squeak Free Christmas,

The squeak arrives at speeds where the revs are above 2,000rpm. To be honest it doesn't squeak when it is cold and only occurs during the summer months or in cold conditions when the engine is warm after 10 miles or so.

During the summer I depressed the clutch whilst the car was squeaking (freewheeling whilst the revs were above 2,000) and the squeaking stopped, but come back as soon as the clutch was released.

I have a friend who is a mechanic so I will get him to check out the thrust bearing.

Not taking it back to the garage it has been in many times.

Service is good but they don't seem to be able to identify problems like this.

If not sorted this could be the first and last Toyota I have and I will go back to VW.

Merry Christmas.

PS. In reply to DONFRAMAC the car is a 1.3 petrol

The squeak arrives at speeds where the revs are above 2,000rpm. To be honest it doesn't squeak when it is cold and only occurs during the summer months or in cold conditions when the engine is warm after 10 miles or so.

During the summer I depressed the clutch whilst the car was squeaking (freewheeling whilst the revs were above 2,000) and the squeaking stopped, but come back as soon as the clutch was released.

I have a friend who is a mechanic so I will get him to check out the thrust bearing.

Not taking it back to the garage it has been in many times.

Service is good but they don't seem to be able to identify problems like this.

If not sorted this could be the first and last Toyota I have and I will go back to VW.

Merry Christmas.

PS. In reply to DONFRAMAC the car is a 1.3 petrol

Unfortunately the only way to visually inspect the Thrust Bearing, is by removing the gearbox, thereby allowing access to the bearing which is located on the end of the clutch actuating arm within the Bell-housing.

(annoying, in as much as a small 2sec squirt of a suitable lubricant into the cage would cure the irritation)

I haven't actually seen the thrust bearing on a Yaris, I would suspect that it is a steel roller/ball type? of release (hence the squeak) rather than the older, yet quieter Carbon Thrust/Release Bearing,

The Toyota dealership always become very hard of hearing, when it comes to the audible detection of this squeak, along with there insistence that this is not a common fault with the Yaris.

Therefore reluctantly "One of those irritations we have to live with"

Have a Good Christmas Day :yahoo: tomorrow

Spoke to my friend who is a mechanic and he has suggested that we take it back to the garage saying that the clutch is juddering when the engine is cold.

They may then replace this.

Worth a try.......

Otherwise he will take a look at it for me.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links