Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Keep Saving For A Post

Bong Water

Need some opinions please

First off, picture the scene, I dont have a car and i'm using public transport to get to work, its a pain and its cold but its only a 20 min bus journey, also it hard to get about at weekend for shopping etc I have been doing this since I sold my Accord in September, one or two may remember my old thread asking questions on the CTS

I would ideally like to save about £5.5K and get a nice facelift T-Sport but right now I have enough to buy a pre facelift, in all honesty I dont like the look of the pre facelift from the rear, and lets be honest it sits like a tractor as standard. Now I really dont want to mod which is why I want the facelift as IMO they look great standard with the skirts and the beefed up suspension set up BUT i'm getting a bit desperate for a car and I could always whack a set of Eibach springs and a lip kit on the post facelift, I have to keep my next car for at least 2 years as i'll be saving up for and buying a flat so I dont want to make the wrong decision!

Your thoughts please!?

Imo mate, save for the facelift. Yes most of the extras on it are cosmetic but it'll save you having to lower it / add strut braces etc for improved handling.

The Pre's can look lush with the TTE stuff fitted but again that'll cost you an arm and a leg. I say put up with Public Transport for a little while longer and get yourself a Facelift. :thumbsup:

Cheers but it wouldnt be "a little while" we are talking £1500 - £2000 of potential mortagage deposit, thats 3/4 months of saving therefore another 3/4 months of public transport and 3/4 months longer of saving for a flat, all for a car, i'm not sure if its worth it but they look so much nicer, really like them, plus they are newer and I wouldnt spend any money on mods

Argh, could go insane thinking about this!

If you are that needy for a car buy the pre, nothing wrong with them as they are IMO, but if you rather the facelift looks like you'll have to wait.

Seems like a lot of you on here are young pups into your modding. Myself i'm 38 with 2 kids so say no more.

Saying that never really been into that modding thing anyway.

Not really, i'm 28 and bored of modding, I have done all that and want something that I wont get tempted to mod as i'll be honest the modding bug is still there

According to the automotive press there is a huge difference is handling between pre and post, the post was a massive improvement, nothing that cant be sorted but it all costs £££

I like the pre's or I wouldnt even consider them, but I like the post more! Its just a case of putting the mortgage deposit thing on hold for a further 3/4 months as I refuse to borrow the money

Not really, i'm 28 and bored of modding, I have done all that and want something that I wont get tempted to mod as i'll be honest the modding bug is still there

According to the automotive press there is a huge difference is handling between pre and post, the post was a massive improvement, nothing that cant be sorted but it all costs £££

I like the pre's or I wouldnt even consider them, but I like the post more! Its just a case of putting the mortgage deposit thing on hold for a further 3/4 months as I refuse to borrow the money

Seems to me as if you have your heart set on the facelift, looks like you better keep saving.

Yeah it does seem that way, I suppose I was hoping i'd be talked out of it because I dont want to wait!

Unless mint rustless Prelude VTI like my old one or Accord Type-R comes up, but thats never going to happen their too old now and were rare anyway

Yeah it does seem that way, I suppose I was hoping i'd be talked out of it because I dont want to wait!

Unless mint rustless Prelude VTI like my old one or Accord Type-R comes up, but thats never going to happen their too old now and were rare anyway

Best to go with your gut instinct or you will pay all that money and regret it.

also bear in mind that if you buy a pre and mod it to get the post look you will have to declare the mods to your insurance which will possibly cost more

Insurance isnt a problem i've had much quicker cars in the past i'm at the age where it doesnt really matter that much anymore especially on a sub £6k car

i would get the facelift, i had a test drive in a prefacelift before i bought my current car. there is a difference and a big one at that.

bong water i think i saw you on civic life.....i put a post out a while back when you were deciding. Hit a facelift it would please you more. Save that tad more as compared to a good condition pre facelift you can put the extra cash in and get a facelift for a few hundred more. Keep a keen eye out ;)

Ok my 2p worth of advice ......

Aside from the cosmetics, what are the differences, Lower Sus & a Strutbrace ?? Correct me if i have missed something that matters.

How much do those 2 items cost ? within £250, im damn sure a FL will cost more than that extra.

The bonus IMO with a PFL is they come in 5 doors which look much nicer than the 3 door van.

With that said, would you regret the PFL, if so then continue saving for the FL, but do think about how much extra that will cost you, funds that could be put towards your property, a purchase that does increase in value, unlike a car which WILL only continue to de-value.

I would always put property before a car ...... 35 with a child so there is the opinion from someone that HAS responsibility.

Good luck either way fella .... ;)

facelift has the rear yamaha strut brace, comes with the extra skirts etc. Looks more like what is should have been

facelift has the rear yamaha strut brace, comes with the extra skirts etc. Looks more like what is should have been

Ok so i missed a rear strut brace ........

Looks ? Well you are of course entitled to your opinion, i don't share it.

Ultimately, i take you back to property being far more important .... ;)

facelift has phase 2 wiring, TTE front brace, Modified Lift bolts, Skirts, front and rear bumpers, autodimming rear view mirror, white dials, Panasonic Radio, graphite interior. Lowered, anti roll bar

can't think of anything else. + I may have made the odd mistake.

The only thing i miss in facelift is the lack of 5 doors. Thats worth a lot IMO

wait for a facelift... if you keep shopping around you may find a facelift in you budget just keep your eyes open and keep checking car websites

facelift has phase 2 wiring, TTE front brace, Modified Lift bolts, Skirts, front and rear bumpers, autodimming rear view mirror, white dials, Panasonic Radio, graphite interior. Lowered, anti roll bar

What is phase 2 wiring ?

What is phase 2 wiring ?

Not phase 1. :D

What is phase 2 wiring ?

Not phase 1. :D

Ok Smart A$$, to clarify my query, what is the difference between "Phase 1" & "Phase 2" wiring?

Copper conductors Vs Silver ?

the phase 2 has different wiring. the cosmetic differences are the steering wheel controls are different and the connectors are different. The practical differences are if you want to upgrade lets say your radio to the full map sat nav (the one that is all in the headunit) - you can't with a phase 1 unless you want to do a spot of chopping of cables and running some more wires.

Save for the facelift model

If it does take 3/4 months then thats what it takes, buy a pre F/L now and you'l be forking out for 3/4 months insurance, petrol and any servicing that needs doing.

I've owned both the pre and post. both amazing cars but with the pre (52 plate) the slight cosmetic differences plus a few extra wear and tear marks really niggled me.

now i have a 06 plate and i love it.

public transport can be a ballache but on the bright side your not missing out on summer driving, defrosting windscreens, washing salt/grit off your car everyweek

what ever you do keep us up to date

I reckon that you should save for the Facelift, we already know that there are some common faults such as lift bolts in the PFL models and not quite so common with the facelift. It looks better (my personal opinion) and you are more likely to get your hands on a stronger engine.

Interior is a bit nicer too I think, and you can be happy knowing that you didn't settle for second best.

Save those sheckles, and the reward will be that much better, believe me! :)

Good luck with making the decision that is right for you! ;)

Looking at prices for both Pre & Post there's not that much difference... so you'd be better going for the Facelift...

If you're not into modding then the cosmetic differences of the post plus the fact it doesn't have 4x4 suspension like the pre would seem like a better deal for you...

Don't rush buying a car... you'll only end up regretting it

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links