Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My First Track Day - Help, Advice & Guidence

Makina

Hi there, I'm doing my first track day on the 5th Feb.

Taking my 2006 Celica GT - Can anybody give me advice - Please

Stephen

I haven't done one myself but I would imagine that you should feel no need to go mad, but do make sure you find and sometimes push your limits, that way you gain experience and you have a bloody good time!

Take your time you need to warm up and get familiar, then you can really give it the berries! :lol: ;)

If you are going to Brands Hatch you will have a great time. I have done the Indy circuit a number of times and always enjoyed it :yes:

Remember the best rule.... slow in = fast out

Don't go burning into a corner as you will get more enjoyment by driving out quickly. Always make sure to complete your braking before you turn into the corner or bend, powering through the bend means you will have maximum control.

However, don't worry about it as you will be fully briefed before going on track and ytou will also have a few laps following an experienced driver so that you can learn the correct race line.

Whatever happens I hope you enjoy your day :thumbsup:

There are two types of "problem driver" on track days. As a novice, make sure you are not one of these:

* The boy (or girl) racer---somebody who sees the track day as an opportunity to try and overtake as many cars as possible, regardless of safety or ability.

* The oblivious driver---somebody who is concentrating so hard on the perfect line that they are not paying attention to others using the track.

There is a definite etiquette to track days. If you are trying to set a personal best lap time you will almost certainly have a mishap or cause another driver to have one. If you are unaware of other drivers then you will likely inconvenience them (possibly dangerously) too.

Always pay attention in the driver briefing, but most track days allow overtaking only on the straights, with consent, on one side of the track. Once you learn to keep your car in the right position at the right time, you will make things safe for everybody and win friends.

Check your mirrors every few seconds. Your Celica is a medium speed car, there may be much faster cars on the track who could be doing 50mph+ more than you on a straight section. When you see somebody coming up behind, it is usually sensible to indicate to the side of the track you are moving to (shows the driver behind that you have seen they want to overtake) and get out of the way to the correct side.

Likewise, if you are overtaking somebody else, stick on the correct side and wait for them to see you and move out of your way. Also, it is generally very poor form to attempt to overtake in the braking zones.

Other things to bear in mind: always have your windows wound fully up and cover your arms and legs. Wear a helmet which is designed for car use, not a motorbike one.

If you are going to Brands, note that the sand pit on the outside of Paddock Hill Bend is The Worst Gravel Trap in England. The only way out of there is attached to a huge 4x4 truck. And you will probably end up upside down so driving out will be difficult anyway :D

Be sensible and I'm sure you will have a great day :thumbsup:

Paul.

ps. Paddock Hill Bend mistake

Go out to have fun, not to race... and enjoy, but look out for idiots with a point to prove....

Paul Pretty much covered it.

That's why I refuse to time my Nur laps!

Obviously make sure the car is 100% prepared properly, if you brake pads are half knackered, the chances are they'll be no good before the end, the same goes for tyres. I like to do a brake fluid and oil change before a trackday too, maybe after if things get a little toasty!

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links