Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What This Button Wheel For?

ItalianStig

Hey guys, this may be hard to explain but I think owners of the same yaris as me may be able to relate as I am new to cars.

Ok I have 2001 Yaris GS 1liter, on the right hand side of my steering wheel, just above the ignition slot on the right, there is a sliding wheel button that has 4-5 functions on it, and has 2 arrows with a symbol of what looks like a light, can anyone tell me what this is for?

If you are having problems I can post a picture of it.

cheers

Sounds like headlamp leveling, set it down if you have weight in the back so you don't dazzle people coming the other way :thumbsup:

Park opposite a wall or similiar in the dark and watch your lights move, it will make a whiring noise.

Sounds like headlamp leveling, set it down if you have weight in the back so you don't dazzle people coming the other way :thumbsup:

Park opposite a wall or similiar in the dark and watch your lights move, it will make a whiring noise.

Ok cheers buddy

Quite correct Dale, it is for headlamp levelling... had one on my 00 Yaris 1.0 GS :thumbsup:

Talking about buttons that spin round... On the clock display, to the left is a big button that you can press and depress and it turns when you turn it. What is it for?

Quite correct Dale, it is for headlamp levelling... had one on my 00 Yaris 1.0 GS :thumbsup:

:o :yahoo::lol: ;)

I have noticed I have a TRIP computer button near the speed onmeter , but dont have a clue on how it works!

On the topic whats this button on the left for, the one with the X in it below?

32.jpg

It prevents the passenger from operating their window. Have a look at the manual, its all in there. You can also randomly push buttons and see what they do.

It prevents the windows from being operated. Have a look at the manual, its all in there. You can also randomly push buttons and see what they do.

That is not quite true!

It actually prevents the PASSENGER window from being operated.........................READ THE MANUAL!! :rolleyes:

It prevents the windows from being operated. Have a look at the manual, its all in there. You can also randomly push buttons and see what they do.

That is not quite true!

It actually prevents the PASSENGER window from being operated.........................READ THE MANUAL!! :rolleyes:

cheers guys, but I didnt get the manual with the car, I have tryed downloading it but no luck

You didn't get the manual with the car? :| what plonker decided to go and lose it or not give it to you then? I always keep mine in the glove box and make sure it stays there. Try asking your nearest dealer for one perhaps? They're useful things and the Toyota Manual is well worth reading.

That is not quite true!

cheers guys, but I didnt get the manual with the car, I have tryed downloading it but no luck

Your Toyota dealer can supply the Owners Manual at very little cost!

You didn't get the manual with the car? :| what plonker decided to go and lose it

I found the whole book pack for one of my old company cars in a draw the other day, the car was a 51 Reg Ooops :lol:

I have noticed I have a TRIP computer button near the speed onmeter , but dont have a clue on how it works!

On the topic whats this button on the left for, the one with the X in it below?

32.jpg

Your having a laugh now ain't you, press the f****** buttons and other stuff and see what they do.

Play with the buttons 'eh? I locked myself in the car doing that after I brought it home for the first time and started prodding everything!!! :eek::lol:

(The rocker above the 'Auto' window control deadlocks all the doors; You can't pull up the locking pin or use the remote fob to re-open the car!! :eek:)

Talking about buttons that spin round... On the clock display, to the left is a big button that you can press and depress and it turns when you turn it. What is it for?

If I'm thinking right, that's the volume control for the sound system; The push in/out thing does nothing other than make it easier to twist when it's out and harder to snag when it's in (Pretty daft design if you ask me...)

I thought it was broken because on my old car, pushing the volume knob in turned the radio on and off! :lol:

Play with the buttons 'eh? I locked myself in the car doing that after I brought it home for the first time and started prodding everything!!! :eek::lol:

(The rocker above the 'Auto' window control deadlocks all the doors; You can't pull up the locking pin or use the remote fob to re-open the car!! :eek:)

If I'm thinking right, that's the volume control for the sound system; The push in/out thing does nothing other than make it easier to twist when it's out and harder to snag when it's in (Pretty daft design if you ask me...)

I thought it was broken because on my old car, pushing the volume knob in turned the radio on and off! :lol:

On some models that button provided an "extra" 10BHP power for just enough time to overtake an articulated lorry!! ;) :rolleyes:

It could also be used for the "ladies" to hang their handbags ^_^

Ah! Ingenious! I can play music as loud as I like or however I like and nobody can fiddle with my knobs! (No pun intended) don't you just hate it when passengers not only tell you how to drive but also fiddle with your instruments?

Ah! Ingenious! I can play music as loud as I like or however I like and nobody can fiddle with my knobs! (No pun intended) don't you just hate it when passengers not only tell you how to drive but also fiddle with your instruments?

LoL I did try pressing some buttons to see what they do but i always cautious as its my first car ever etc and I aint familiar with cars at it only to know where the driving aids are located such as steering wheel etc.

But why does the door lock button when pressed only lock the passenger door and not the driver door, If I want driver door locked for security when driving in a dodgy area do just do it manually by flicking the button on rim of the door down?

Best plan is to drive into the country, tell them to get out the car and drive off. ;)

no the button on top left lock the passenger WINDOW from being used, the button on the top right has two functions, you can push the bottom end of it to lock ALL doors, or the top end to open ALL doors, once your in the car you cant really go wrong, just push away at the buttons, the trip button gives you 3 displays, 1. total milage of car 2. 'trip a'- if you want to check the distance from your house to the shop you clock it back to zero and check the reading when at you distination 3. 'trip b'- same as trip a, to clock it back to zero you hold the botton down for about 5 seconds and its goes back to 0

But why does the door lock button when pressed only lock the passenger door and not the driver door, If I want driver door locked for security when driving in a dodgy area do just do it manually by flicking the button on rim of the door down?

It locks both but the drivers door can be opened from inside by the driver... the passenger would need you to unlock the door for them ;)

no the button on top left lock the passenger WINDOW from being used, the button on the top right has two functions, you can push the bottom end of it to lock ALL doors, or the top end to open ALL doors, once your in the car you cant really go wrong, just push away at the buttons, the trip button gives you 3 displays, 1. total milage of car 2. 'trip a'- if you want to check the distance from your house to the shop you clock it back to zero and check the reading when at you distination 3. 'trip b'- same as trip a, to clock it back to zero you hold the botton down for about 5 seconds and its goes back to 0

Cheers appreciate it

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links