Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

215/45/r16 On 16" Wheel

CorollaD4D

If I buy these wheels and tyres for my corolla, at a later date can I put wider 215 tyres on those wheels or can they only take 205s?

Two things..

1. You will be pushed to fit 215 tyres on a 6J rim.. 7J is the minimum recommended width, however at 6.5J you will just get away with.

2. 215 tyres in 16" for the Corolla isn't something that is normally done, but 205/45x16 would be the size to go for... just not on a 6J rim I'm afraid.

The whhels will probably take a 215.. but it will be a bit of a squeeze for the fitter and the sidewalls will look "pushed out" if you know what I mean... not a good look IMO.

To be clear: those are stock E12 wheels.

Normal tyre on them is 195/55/16...

215 looks even a little bit too wide on 7J wheels to be honest.

What u wanna reach with those 215 tyres?

So 205/45/16 is the best tyre to put on the 6J 16" standard t-sport wheels? Right now my Corolla is the t-spirit model and the 15" rims look way too small (hence going for 16") and the stock tyres (195/60/15) are way to thin and the profile is too thick.

I want to have a bigger wheel to fill the arch more and also a wider tyre for looks and handling but mainly for looks. I was thinking to buy those wheels and when the tyres they come with wear low I'll replace with Uniroyal Rainsport 2 is this a bad idea for what I want to achieve?

cfc1 - is it not possible to put 205/45/16 on the 6J rims I linked to in my original post? The reason I want to keep to 16" and not go for 17" wheels is to avoid problems such as rubbing at full lock and rubbing when the car is loaded fully. I prefer to retain the functionality of the car as well as improve the look.

205/50x16, lower by around 30mm... desired looks achieved :)

When you raise the wheel size you lower the profile of the tyre so as to keep the gear ratios as close to what they should be, this keeps the speedo as accurate as possible. To get the wheel and tyre package to fill the arches you lower the car down onto the tyres.... eg.

If you were to put say 18" wheels with a slightly oversized tyre, it will raise the full car up and it will look like it's on stilts... lowering the car down onto the tyres gives the desired looks.

Sorry for being a newbie but I'm kinda confused now. Lets say I scrap the whole keeping the car standard idea and go with some nice looking alloys. What would be your recommended wheel/tyre size so that there is no rubbing but so the tyres don't look as skinny and the car looks 'meatier' if you know what I mean.

The local alloy wheel shop guy suggested 17" wheels with 205/45/17 tyres...is this suitable? Or what would be your personal choice?

I also have got 17" wheels with 205/45/17 on it...

Is actually also the best thing u can do.

And you don't need to say sorry, everyone has to learn :D

It means that, for example the diameter of a 16" wheel, with 205/55/16 tyre on it.

When u're looking for 17", that means your wheel itself is bigger.

But to keep about the same diameter as the stock ones with your new wheels, you'll have to look for a tyre with lower profile, by example 17" wheels with 205/45/17 tyres on.

The bigger the wheel, the "thinner" (lower profile) your new tyres have to be.

Hope i explained this a bit understandable?

Go 17s with a 45 profile, i have 18s with a 35 profile which look very nice but produce a hard ride, i will be changing to a 40 profile at some point to ease this.

iav got 17's on 215/45/17, AND iav her lowered 40mm all round, i never get any rubbing on full lock but yes the back does rub BUT only when iav a gang in the back and going over a bumpy road, 80% of the time its just meself and the woman and its grand

Thanks for the help guys...so I've established to go for 17" wheels but now do I go for 205/45/17 tyres or 215/45/17 tyres? I suppose the 215's will help achieve the "meaty" look I want (i.e. fat tyres from rear view). Is there any reason not to go for 215 over 205 other than the addition cost and possibly quicker wear rate? Do 215 fit nicely on 17"?

It depends on wheel width and especially ET, my OZ 8x17 et37 with 215/45/17 rubbed a lot... I think the best is 7x17 or 7.5x17 with 205/45/17 or 215/40/17 tires...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links