Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Disable Abs Warnig Light

Juandan

Hi, I have a S reg Avensis GLS, the ABS warning light on the dash board stays on all the time when I'm driving, my braks are ok, this is what I've done so far to try and solve the problem, I've disconnected the Battery for half an hour, reconnected the Battery, then started it, had it on idle for 5 mins then disconnected the Battery again for 30 sec, reconnected the battery, but the ABS light is still on, is there a way I can fix this myself? If I go to a Toyota dealer they will rip me off

please go and get code read,

we can help you then

Hi thanks for your help, how do I get the code read?

You need a code reader of eBay or go to somewhere with code reading equipment (I think Kwik Fit offer this service for a price).

The fact that the lights coming back on after a Battery reset means there is a real fault on your ABS. Call me paranoid but having an error on something as serious as brakes means you should get it fixed. If you have an accident and the police find out that you've been driving around with this on and have known about it for someitme I don't think the consequences will be good.

M.

I am with M4 on this issue.... it is your braking system so why play with it :unsure: .... get it fixed as your life depends on it :yes:

It may be worth taking a look at the ABS sensors at each wheel to see if they are still in their proper position and still properly connected. This is quite a common problem after driving in snowy conditions.

In the interest of your safety and other road users and as already suggested it would be wise to have the matter investigated immediately.

Remember brakes are like your best friends - you miss them most when they ain't around.:)

It may be worth taking a look at the ABS sensors at each wheel to see if they are still in their proper position and still properly connected. This is quite a common problem after driving in snowy conditions.

In the interest of your safety and other road users and as already suggested it would be wise to have the matter investigated immediately.

Remember brakes are like your best friends - you miss them most when they ain't around.:)

Thanks for your help, I'm going to kwit-fit tomorrow morning, they do a diagnostic test but they are not sure if there tester will fit my s reg Avensis, its £40 if they can do a diagnostic test, Toyota want £55 for the test, I don't like going to a Toyota dealer as you aways seem to get Ripped off, I will post back when I get the results.

As others have said ABS light on means a fault somewhere in the system. This could be a wheel sensor, the valve block, the ABS computer, the ABS on/off switch, the brake pedal sensor a brake light bulb not working or anything in the braking system that flags a fault to the ABS computer.

Not only does the light being on mean you have no ABS function (even though you have standard brakes) but it is also an MOT failure. So for both safety and paperwork reasons you need to get the system fixed.

As others have said ABS light on means a fault somewhere in the system. This could be a wheel sensor, the valve block, the ABS computer, the ABS on/off switch, the brake pedal sensor a brake light bulb not working or anything in the braking system that flags a fault to the ABS computer.

Not only does the light being on mean you have no ABS function (even though you have standard brakes) but it is also an MOT failure. So for both safety and paperwork reasons you need to get the system fixed.

Hi, well I'm happy to report Toyota fixed the ABS problem, it was two blown fuses,

I have another problem now, I can't get any water to spay on to the windscreen, could be blocked jets or a nacked pump

Hi, well I'm happy to report Toyota fixed the ABS problem, it was two blown fuses,

I have another problem now, I can't get any water to spay on to the windscreen, could be blocked jets or a nacked pump

I'm please to read that your ABS problem was easy to clear.... as for the screen washer issue.... you should be able to hear the pump whirring if it is working at all. If so then you most likely to indeed have blocked jets, time to get out some old fuse wire to clean them out :yes: Good luck :thumbsup:

I'm please to read that your ABS problem was easy to clear.... as for the screen washer issue.... you should be able to hear the pump whirring if it is working at all. If so then you most likely to indeed have blocked jets, time to get out some old fuse wire to clean them out :yes: Good luck :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help, one more question please, where is the windscreen washer pump located?

Thanks for all the help, one more question please, where is the windscreen washer pump located?

Juandan, your windscreen washer pump is located at the bottom of the washer bottle, inside the front right side of the bumper/wheel arch. Undo the front most screws of the wheel arch liner to gain access. You should see the bottle with a pair of pumps held by a plastic retaining collar. Using a flat screwdriver, depress the catch of the retaining collar from above/between the pumps to remove it.

Now before all that, does the washer bottle have fluid? I also assumed you have a hatchback, hence the double pumps. I test mine by swapping the pump electrical connections, so the front was working the rear, visa versa. Then when you try the both washers the front switch will operate the rear instead.

If you have the saloon, it is just a case of removing the single pump. Obviously you will need a bowl to catch the fluid. Removing the pump is not difficult and replacing it is reverse of removal.

It is more likely to be the pump due to the age. Unless you have been using pure water, the nozzle never really gets blocked.

I hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Juandan, your windscreen washer pump is located at the bottom of the washer bottle, inside the front right side of the bumper/wheel arch. Undo the front most screws of the wheel arch liner to gain access. You should see the bottle with a pair of pumps held by a plastic retaining collar. Using a flat screwdriver, depress the catch of the retaining collar from above/between the pumps to remove it.

Now before all that, does the washer bottle have fluid? I also assumed you have a hatchback, hence the double pumps. I test mine by swapping the pump electrical connections, so the front was working the rear, visa versa. Then when you try the both washers the front switch will operate the rear instead.

If you have the saloon, it is just a case of removing the single pump. Obviously you will need a bowl to catch the fluid. Removing the pump is not difficult and replacing it is reverse of removal.

It is more likely to be the pump due to the age. Unless you have been using pure water, the nozzle never really gets blocked.

I hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Thank you for a very informative reply, I'll have a go at it some time today, and let you know how I get on, when I took the car in for the ABS fault, they also did a free visual safety report, they told me the exhaust cat to rear section flanges are corroded and blowing, they quoted me £720 + labour, I know they are telling the truth because I got the exhaust patched up some months ago, would you recommend kwit-fit to do the job? they quoted me £324 fitted.

Well I can't seem to get the wheel arch liner off, I could only find one screw, I took that out and a little bolt if that what you call it from under the bumper, but I still couldn't get it to come out, I thought if I keep on pulling it something is going to break,

can you tell me where the fuse for washer is located, I thought I might check that as well, your help is appreciated

It is the fuse for the wipers. It is a 20 A fuse located behind the kick panel. If your wipers work then the fuse are ok.

By the way you should put the correct model of your Avensis in your profile. I don't believe it is from 1989.

Thanks for that, It should of been 98 not 89, I checked all the fuses any way all are ok, but I'm have trouble removing the wheel arch liner, so I can get at the washer pump,

It is the fuse for the wipers. It is a 20 A fuse located behind the kick panel. If your wipers work then the fuse are ok.

By the way you should put the correct model of your Avensis in your profile. I don't believe it is from 1989.

It says his car is 1998 not 1989. :yes: He must have changed it later.

Car Model:1998 Avensis GLS 1800 5 door Hatchback

Pete.

Thanks for that, It should of been 98 not 89, I checked all the fuses any way all are ok, but I'm have trouble removing the wheel arch liner, so I can get at the washer pump,

You don't need to remove the whole arch liner. Just remove the screws closer to the front near the bumper. Also undo screws to front right under tray. You just need to open them for access, no need to completely remove. Then you will see the washer bottle and pumps.

Since you have two pumps does the rear still work? As I said in my earlier post once you have access to the pumps, you test by swapping the plugs over.

If you lived a lot closer to my location I would help.

Let us know your progress.

Due to The weather I haven’t had a chance to try and get to the washer pump,

I got the exhaust sorted cost £270 for the full system, not bad considering Toyota wanted £720 + labor, I now have another problem, 3 am this morning the car alarm went off, I didn’t think it was my car as I’ve never had problem with the alarm, I looked out of the bedroom window I at my car, no flashing lights so I thought it must be one of the neighbors cars, it stopped for about 15 mins then started again, so on, in the end I went out side and yes it was my car, it wouldn’t stop by using the car key, I had to disconnect the Battery.

Due to The weather I haven’t had a chance to try and get to the washer pump,

I got the exhaust sorted cost £270 for the full system, not bad considering Toyota wanted £720 + labor, I now have another problem, 3 am this morning the car alarm went off, I didn’t think it was my car as I’ve never had problem with the alarm, I looked out of the bedroom window I at my car, no flashing lights so I thought it must be one of the neighbors cars, it stopped for about 15 mins then started again, so on, in the end I went out side and yes it was my car, it wouldn’t stop by using the car key, I had to disconnect the battery.

Hi again Juandan,

You seem to have electrical related faults & gremlins. It makes me wonder if it the age & condition of the car, or the it was exposed some elements. It could be that you just are unlucky. I have the same car of the same spec and year (mine is metallic green). It has had the usual 'Avensis' issues, but overall it has been a faithful servant for over 6 years.

I hope you solve the alarm. I am no expert but try the 6 door switches first. One of them could be playing up.

Juandan, you might as well start a new thread for this problem, since you fixed the ABS warning light. I will follow this with interest.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

• 7 years later...
3 hours ago, Caral said:

Ihave fault showing  CO 278 ABS Solenoid Relay circuit .This is an Auris where is the solenoid

Your car is an Auris, so should be on the Auris forum. The original car is a '98 Avensis Mk1, and only some diagnostics worked with it, since the early leanburn Avensis is not OBD2 compatible. I used to use the 'paperclip' trick, linking the pins 4 and 13 in the OBD socket to get morse code style readouts from the engine/ABS/SRS ECU's 

http://www.olyonline.com/techtips/toyota_ICabstoycorolla0301.asp

When my Avensis had total ABS failure, I got a replacement from the breakers yard and changed it in just over half an hour. 

Since your car is much later and you have got a reading using a scanner, you need to locate the faulty part.  
Check the handbook for fuse and relay locations for your car.   

If solenoid can be found I think I could sort this.Everbody say you do not get this with Toyota so nobody I speak too seem to know...

14 hours ago, Caral said:

If solenoid can be found I think I could sort this.Everbody say you do not get this with Toyota so nobody I speak too seem to know...

For the benefit of others the post has been moved to the Auris page as per link above. Even though the car is an Auris, this may also apply to Avensis of similar age or T27 Mk3. 

• 1 year later...

Hi people, I have abs,parking break,and trackion control lights coming up on my avensis 59 reg plate. It's just coming up randomly sometimes.Also my dashboard shown check VSC system. Any idea?

Check your alternator, what's the charging voltage on a car with no load (no lights, no ac, no radio etc.)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links