Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0d4d Complete Power Loss

vmssys

g/f driving her 2.0D4D on dual carriageway yesterday suffered a complete loss of power. Engine warning light come on and car just slowed no matter how hard she pressed the accelerator.

stopped the car turned off engine and restarted no problem. was able to drive home normally. engine warning lighht remains on.

car is 53 plate with about 64k on clock.

any ideas on fault before i take it in tomorrow for diagnosis??

g/f driving her 2.0D4D on dual carriageway yesterday suffered a complete loss of power. Engine warning light come on and car just slowed no matter how hard she pressed the accelerator.

stopped the car turned off engine and restarted no problem. was able to drive home normally. engine warning lighht remains on.

hi mate

yr problem must be in EGR valve due to contra pressure due to too much carbon deposits.

have it dismantled and cleaned/ this topic was actual some days ago.

Good luck

Igor

if engine is well started, then the only problem is there.

have it cleaned and revert with driving result. this job might be peformed by you without visiting of dealership or so.

cheers

See http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=106241 for cleaning EGR valve.

understand the reply. but if this is the problem then why is the car driving ok today with the eml still on?? and what caused the loss of power

now I know why its still driving OK.

you're all wrong. The fault has been diagnosed as the stepper motor on the turbo charger.

Cost

Labour : 200

Parts : 1463 (sold complete with new turbo)

+ vat

Glad we took out the extended warranty.

Sorry you guys. Read the symptoms and you'd have known that a blocked EGR would have caused ongoing power loss. not just dead turbo. now I'm driving the car a little harder I can tell the turbo isn't working.

I wouldn't thrash the engine while I know there's a fault would I???

understand the reply. but if this is the problem then why is the car driving ok today with the eml still on?? and what caused the loss of power

I wouldnt suggest replacing turbo.

You need to check other components. Just dont rely on code, the fault your experiancing can do with a multiple issue, and not just the turbo and at 64k i would be suprised the turbo went faulty

Toyota technician diagnosed faulty stepper motor on the turbo and it is only supplied as a complete unit. At that sort of cost to the Toyota warranty company I'm sure they must be pretty sure.

The turbo is definately not working. Driving like a non turbo car with no sudden power surge.

After Mr T has done his best I'll report back.

The turbo is definately not working. Driving like a non turbo car with no sudden power surge.

don't know about the 2.0D4D but imo the 2.2 D4D doesn't have a sudden power surge.

Actually come to think of it I have driven a 2008 T25 2.0D4D & that didn't have a sudden power surge either imo.

you're all wrong. The fault has been diagnosed as the stepper motor on the turbo charger.

With all due respect, this is a forum which I suspect is filled with mostly non-mechanics that mostly have personal experience of a similar problem with their own car or a good knowledge of mechanics / electrics. We cannot inspect the car personally and only have your description of the actual fault to go on and saying that the car died on your gf but you managed to drive it despite the engine warning light doesn't give a whole lot of clues as to the actual issue either. If you want opinions on what 'might' be the problem then by all means ask but don't expect the answers given to be 100% correct (given the at best sketchy fault description). I would suggest that next time you have an issue with your car that you go straight to Mr T, spend your money and forget the "you're all wrong" remarks and save people wasting their time trying to help!

• Like 1

It is quite normal on this model that when the MIL comes on all power is lost, stopping and restarting puts the car into limp mode which enables the car to be driven carefully to a garage for repair, If the fault clears then the MIL will extinguish after around 5 miles and normal power will be resumed.

To expect anyone to diagnose the fault from your description is asking far too much, I am prepared to bet that the Toyota tec who diagnosed the fault connected a code reader and let it decide for him. :yahoo:

• Like 1

Cost

Labour : 200

Parts : 1463 (sold complete with new turbo)

+ vat

Glad we took out the extended warranty.

Sorry you guys. Read the symptoms and you'd have known that a blocked EGR would have caused ongoing power loss. not just dead turbo. now I'm driving the car a little harder I can tell the turbo isn't working.

I wouldn't thrash the engine while I know there's a fault would I???

hello mate

you can change all parts/units as one by one but firstly you'd evaluate what is going on -- why do you have an issue with turbo???

the reall problem is with your injectors giving bad injection (!) + unburnt carbon-- the turbocharger is the first unit on the exhaust gases way and second is EGR. i do not belive that you could not clean vanes drive to reach flexibility. and secondly -- the manner of your dialog is wrong here cos all of posters here tried to help but not to be sarcastic. Good luck

• Like 1

Sorry I did not tend to offend. I posted a question describing the symptoms and was about to cancel my visit to Mr T and attempt to clean the EGR thingy, Whenever I've done anything that I've always made a complete hash of it. Mr T would have been quite pleased if I'd messed and they then disclaimed any warranty claim stating that I'd caused the problem by my own hards.

The point is that this fault is not uncommon according to the service manager who rang me today although its more common to RAV4s. This experience can be added to your knowledge base for helping future posters. The fact that the car is running in non-turbo form discounts the EGR valve since a blockage would cause the car to run very badly. I stated this in my original posting.

So sudden loss of power followed by running on non-turbo power = fault with turbo unit.

Please use my experience to help other posters. I will advise whether or not the replacement turbo fixes the problem at the weekend. Mr T is collecting the Car Thurs and returning it on Saturday.

Sorry I did not tend to offend. I posted a question describing the symptoms and was about to cancel my visit to Mr T and attempt to clean the EGR thingy, Whenever I've done anything that I've always made a complete hash of it. Mr T would have been quite pleased if I'd messed and they then disclaimed any warranty claim stating that I'd caused the problem by my own hards.

The point is that this fault is not uncommon according to the service manager who rang me today although its more common to RAV4s. This experience can be added to your knowledge base for helping future posters. The fact that the car is running in non-turbo form discounts the EGR valve since a blockage would cause the car to run very badly. I stated this in my original posting.

So sudden loss of power followed by running on non-turbo power = fault with turbo unit.

Please use my experience to help other posters. I will advise whether or not the replacement turbo fixes the problem at the weekend. Mr T is collecting the Car Thurs and returning it on Saturday.

The point is that in your original post you did NOT mention that your car was under extended warranty. No one would have given you advice then to do anything as it would have made your warranty void.

People here are very helpful and some of them do repair cars for living. Spending time trying to help means something, at least to me and some other forumers.

Good luck with your car.

New Turbo fitted and warning light gone. Car running fine. Best Warranty ever purchased - £805 interest free over 2yrs. Saved me a packet.

Thank you for your help.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links