Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windscreen Waasher Not Working

Surfer01

The car is an Avensis T2 1.8 auto 2004. After the mini Ice Age recently we have found that the windscreen washer no longer works. When pulling back on the lever we cannot even hear the humming noise it normally makes from the pump. I have no idea how to access the pump that is if it is the pump and not a fuse. The problem is that the book is not very clear about where the fuse for the waasher is located.

Can any one offer any suggestions at what to look for etc and perhaps advise where it is located and whether the pump can be stripped and repaired or will it need replacement?

The car is an Avensis T2 1.8 auto 2004. After the mini Ice Age recently we have found that the windscreen washer no longer works. When pulling back on the lever we cannot even hear the humming noise it normally makes from the pump. I have no idea how to access the pump that is if it is the pump and not a fuse. The problem is that the book is not very clear about where the fuse for the waasher is located.

Can any one offer any suggestions at what to look for etc and perhaps advise where it is located and whether the pump can be stripped and repaired or will it need replacement?

nothing wrong with your washer pump ( water freezes ), allow system to completely de-ice then completely drain the washer bottle refill with screen wash do not then refill washer bottle with ordinary water with the extremes we have experienced any trace of water will freeze then just top up with screenwash then next year you will not have the same problem , resist temptation to top up with water

I drive a HGV for a living and never once had problems with my washers

nothing wrong with your washer pump ( water freezes ), allow system to completely de-ice then completely drain the washer bottle refill with screen wash do not then refill washer bottle with ordinary water with the extremes we have experienced any trace of water will freeze then just top up with screenwash then next year you will not have the same problem , resist temptation to top up with water

I drive a HGV for a living and never once had problems with my washers

Okay thanks will give it a try. The problem came up about 2 weeks ago when we had snow. Temperature has been around 4C on averaeg so woudl have thought it would have defrosted by now.

if you cant hear the motor when you turn the switch on then its probable that the motors gone, located behind the drivers front wheel arch, they are a complete unit and cant be stripped, before that check the connector on the motor is fitted right and there is water in the washer bottle,. regards.

if you cant hear the motor when you turn the switch on then its probable that the motors gone, located behind the drivers front wheel arch, they are a complete unit and cant be stripped, before that check the connector on the motor is fitted right and there is water in the washer bottle,. regards.

I hope that they don't cost too much to replace as I was made redundant recently and money is tight but so is safety I guess.

I see by your location "worcestershire" that you are not far from me "Bristol", the temp here has been hovering round freezing for quite a while............ why not try putting a couple of spoonfulls of salt on the washer bottle ( to lower the freezing point of the water) then syphon contents out and refill with screenwash.

before screenwash became openly available the thing to do was put a couple of spoonfulls of meths in the washer bottle if you can get any of that it might be worth a try

probably the reason you cannot hear the pump is simply because its frozen.

good luck :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links