Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High Clutch Bite Point

Steve84

Hi all, i'm asking this question on behalf of a mate of mine. He's got a 1.4 vvt-i corolla with 52k on the clock, its a 2005 model. He replaced his clutch about 4k ago cos in his mind the clutch was hevay, to be honest it felt fine to me a nice feel and a bite around half way on the pedal. Anyhow he got a blue print cluch fitted and he now moans the bite is to high, it been bleed countless times and the bite is still on the top of the pedal. I must say the clutch is a bit lighter but nothing to write home about. I've drove the car and the bite is high the clutch is disengaged with the pedal pressed down about a inch or 2 the car will only stall once the pedal is released totally if you take up the free play by resting your foot on the pedal it wont stall thats how high the bite point is. No clutch slip tho. I'm thinking its a duff clutch, he thinks its the flywheel tho. He got the clutch fitted at the garage he works at, the tech who fitted it reckons its a duff clutch, but cos my mate never complained about it till a few weeks ago when he drove another corolla, the clutch is out of warranty now. He asked me to post and ask you guys if any of you think the flywheel is the problem. Any ideas welcome. He is certain the clutch is not faulty, to quote what he told me " it a new clutch so it cannot be faulty") but me and a few others think it is.

Any ideas welcome so i can print them off and give to him to shut him up.

Thanks in advance

Steve

i *think* you can actually adjust the free pedal play in the clutch, you can basically move the bite point further down, there is a ratchet screw behind the pedal so have a look at that, the only other thing i can think of is the seals may be passing or when they refitted it, they actually moved the slave cylinder very slightly, it doesn't take much movement to cause a severe increase in pedal travel.

When i started out in the motor trade i thought the same new parts can be duffers but i have had a few brand new genuine parts being duff.

Matt

Having driven a Corolla with a blueprint clutch, I can confirm that that car too had a light pedal and awfully high bite point. It was stall city for the first 5 minutes with practically ZERO feel. ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links