Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Accelerator Sticking Recall?!?!

farhanali89

Seriously no joke, For a few weeks i noticed my accelerator pedal in my 2004 CTS sometimes when full throttling then coming to a stop my accelerator pedal would become stiff. It would take a heavy right foot to move off again.

A few days back i met up with kangzy and all of a sudden we both drove off...My accelerator pedal got stuck and i was redlining in 2nd gear like crazy. I had to turn the car off, Got outside and had a look, Found my TPS sensor lost a screw....Now the inside of the TPS was slightly damaged so i did the wise thing and replaced it.

Now today i go out thinking all is well.....New TPS is firmly on. I give it a bit of a kick to see if it happens again, I hit lift come to a stop shortly after and the accelerator pedal just goes firm....Like its sticking and theres something in the way of the throttle plate which wont let it open.

I have checked all around the throttle body again, TPS is firmly in so thats not half hanging off and not letting the throttle butterfly open and close incorrectly.

I have also checked the throttle cable, Doesnt seem to be anything wrong, There is play in the cable and i have tightened it and loosened it aswell to see if it makes any difference.

Now my thinking is....What on earth could it be? My cars a 54 plate....So wont come under the recall as it is before 2005...But it is the facelift model and the recall mentions "Corolla 2005" The facelift was 04 Onwards, I cant see why they would change the accelerator cable as there were no revisions to the facelift model after 2004....All facelifts were built the same.

Any suggestions what i should do? Would it be valid to contact toyota, I would pay someone else to have a look at this or get my hands dirty and start fishing about but if i feel my car is possibly in the recall for this i shouldnt hesitate to contact them.

the corolla effected in the list is the us/jdm model afaik so doubt its effected by the same issue. although it may be possible on a 1 in a million basis (stats not guranteed lol).

best thing you could probably do is take the throttle body completely OFF. that way you can see both sides of the butterfly and check for play in the 'bearings' as it were. youl also be able to feel any sitffness alot better with it in 2 hands. (a more deft touch as it were). carb cleaner will help free it up, just dont drench your new TPS if you do use any.

also, Marc had to change his throttle cable as that was totally nadgered, visually fine from both pedal and throttle body end, it had a compression in the line and was simply not running freely at all.

Its really odd tho, im sure its something minor and the car goes in to toyota on saturday so ill mention it. I have removed the TB checked it all over, My TB is seriously proper clean, You could eat off it literally.

I have a feeling it could be under the pedal or......as you mentioned further down the cable.

I had the TB off yesterday and the butterfly doesnt seem to catch with anything, It operates smoothly. I even have a spare TB at home, The problem seems to lie with the cable or pedal i feel.

having spent a fair amount of time lying upside down under marcs dashboard id go more with the cable. the peddle assembley is proper noddy and not likely to go wrong.

literally metal bar........ plastic hinge.....2 screws....... spring and lug that the cable pops into.

the cable route is a propper beast to get out on the bulkhead (engine side) as it sits right under the master cylinder and the suspension turret gets in the way. girly arms ftw!

edit:- propper clean TB's = bad. :/ needs a slight amount of oily goodness for the unhindered, low wear, rotation

i had a look at the cable....it does look like a pain to work with. I should be alright girly arm ftmfw!

I had a look at the pedal assembly while adjusting my clutch a while back....does seem simple and well built but just a concern and at worst a odd coincidence that my car gives me accelerator problems while a recall is taking place lol.

you should be able to find a photo of the offending recal accelerator. youl see it looks nothing like the ones on the cts :)

the corolla effected in the list is the us/jdm model afaik so doubt its effected by the same issue. although it may be possible on a 1 in a million basis (stats not guranteed lol).

If that was the case Ricc, Toyota GB would not include the Corolla on their website as being one of those affected ;)

Thats what i was wondering, I had a look at the official toyota website and they list the corolla aswell and verso separate.

Who knows, Drove to work fine this morning but i will give it in tomorow to toyota so will mention it to them.

If that was the case Ricc, Toyota GB would not include the Corolla on their website as being one of those affected ;)

Yeah fair enough, but with regards to the CTS it doesnt apply....... from Toyota I give you a diagram of the issue.

car_photo_354025_25.jpg

They arent fitted to the PFL,FL CTS or the CTS-C.

If anything theyre more than likely fitted to the Diesels. But I don't work for toyota or have a copy of their service sortware to search for the parts on different car models ;) I therefor stand by my GUESS of it being a crappy cable. lol

So whats that anyway?

Some kind of electronic throttle, rather than our cable? Nice to have the neanderthal technology, lucky us :)

I like the way Toyotas director on the morning news today was saying that these problems would be identified and remedied on your next scheduled service, now thats marketing for you. I assume you can book in to have this problem sorted free of charge though, sure as hell wouldnt pay for a toyota service lol.

I believe recall repairs are totally free to the end customer and dealer. toyota themselves foot the bill not the garage.

As for the technology, it looks like an electronic TPS, typically on cars that dont require a butterfly throttle to be pulled by a cable. so like, diesels etc and probably some of these fancy new engine things. lol

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links