Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

We Are Not Alone!

Mike JD

Makes tragic reading, the mention of the toddler losing her life like that. RIP little one.

Makes tragic reading, the mention of the toddler losing her life like that. RIP little one.

Indeed. Puts things on perspective a bit, doesn't it

Mike D

That's truly horrific. Some things just shouldn't be allowed to happen, and when they do, it makes it all that much more saddening.

People wonder why it is that I am agnostic, well there's your answer...

It takes a death before motor manufactures take notice of what faults are being reported about their vehicles from the consumer.

They soon stop Bull ****ting and fobbing people off when someone dies. There are many vehicles with dangerous faults, and they do noting about it, until a death.

I know that and it angers me to a point of utter disbelief.

A mother has lost her child for the sake of a few million pounds. It may sound like a lot of money, but in comparison with the loss of a child, it is nothing. She will never have the chance to sit her child down on her knee, and stroke her hair. She will never again see those young, inquisitive eyes, and she will have to sit at the dinner table with always one empty space.

It is wrong and unfair to outrageous extents, it is as if the human greed for money knows no limits, and the price of this is a mothers loss of her child, for good.

That is why I like to remember myself, and stay away from the greed that inevitably arrives with money...

As with all these stories there is more info Honda 'not responsible' for Vanilla's death.

This is reported to be a one off to date, how can a manufacturer know of the fault until it occurs?

Of course a child dying is terrible, but manufacturers could stop making cars altogether if every time one of the endless what if scenarios occur and the reaction goes wild.

Blame culture :( Do we all want to live in padded boxes to remove all risk and of course any fun?

As with all these stories there is more info Honda 'not responsible' for Vanilla's death.

This is reported to be a one off to date, how can a manufacturer know of the fault until it occurs?

Of course a child dying is terrible, but manufacturers could stop making cars altogether if every time one of the endless what if scenarios occur and the reaction goes wild.

Blame culture :( Do we all want to live in padded boxes to remove all risk and of course any fun?

IMO very well put Cabcurtains, I also googled the Vanilla Nurse story + came up with the above link, I didn't post it because its a very emotive story, I dont mind admitting the photo of this little angel brought a tear to my eyes, However, at the end of the day this was an accident no matter who is to blame, Honda or whoever else manufactured this switch did not do so in order to save money, of the millions of components fitted to the 3 million cars sold, this one went wrong with tragic results, but none the less. an accident, a fault, a mistake, such as we all make every day, but thankfully with less horrific consequences.. :( Stew

Peugeot bonnets have been flying up and bloking peopes view of the road for some time now, its even been on watch dog. Imagine having no vision at 70mph on a busy motory way packed with HGV`s.

Peugeot`s response, the owner did not service the bonnet catch?????? Not sure if this is now rectified, but not doubt we will have to wait for another death, before they recall them.

It is sad to hear of any childs death especially where it could have been prevented.

I personally know of an where a child lost its life and its sibling was scarred horrifically for life. This incident involved an MG Montego and occurred about 15 years ago. The childrens mother went into a shop for a few errands and when she came out 5 minutes later the car was ablaze. Luckily an off-duty fireman was passing and he was able to extract both children but sadly one died from her injuries the other surviving but only after many months of painful suffering. There was an in-depth investigation following the incident and it was not able to establish the exact cause of the fire although it was thought it possibly started in a faulty interior courtesy light. In other words the cause was never fully established.

In another incident I was personally involved. I took my young son (3 years old) out with me on to get a burger and was tempted to leave him in the car but he insisted he came with me. On returning to the car about 3-4 minutes later I noticed my car was filled with black smoke. Fortunately a local mechanic was passing and beween us we were just about able to get the bonnet open and disconnect the Battery and the fire extinguished itself. No doubt if I had left my son in the car he would have secumbed to the poisionous fumes.

The one lesson I did learn from this incident was to never leave a child alone in a car without adult supervision.

I appreciate cars shouldn't develop faults but as cars are designed and checked by humans it is possible for any person to inadvertently overlook some safety aspect either during construction or maintenance.

Yes the risks may be very low indeed but is it worth the risk of leaving children unattended - personally I don't beleive it is.

My heart goes out to the childs poor mother as I'm sure not only is she suffeirng from the loss of her child but also she is wrecked with guilt.

Peugeot bonnets have been flying up and bloking peopes view of the road for some time now, its even been on watch dog. Imagime having no vision at 70mph on a busy motory way packed with HGV`s.

Peugeot`s response, the owner did not service the bonnet catch?????? Not sure if this is now rectified, but not doubt we will have to wait for another death, before they recall them.

If I remember correctly I think the cars in question was Renault Clios of a certain age whereby the bonnet catch failed due to corrosion (it didn't close properly). There has been some agrument as to whether this was down to poor design or poor maintenance and checking or lubrication was not included in the servicing schedules. Sadly many manufacturers fail to include this in ther servicing schedlues.

Renault wrote by recorded mail to every owner requesting they take their vehicles to a dealer for a check-over. And depending on each situation either the locking mechanism was either lubricated correctly or replaced. Sadly not every owner has even bothered their backside to take their car in for a free check.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links