Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alternator Rattle Only 36k Miles

trevs toyota

Just joined this club. Hi All Coralla owners.

I love my Corrolla but it developed a rattle which got louder.

Had to get a new Alternator fitted and very disappointed at £360 bill.

Toyota dealer excellent service but at only 36000 miles how many of these fail?

mine is 1.4 Diesel D.V.D.

Service manager new what was the problem without looking at it ,which made me suspicious that this is common problem?

SHOULD THIS HAVE BEEN RECALLED? I bought with 11000 miles on the clock and just out of 12 month warrantee when

replaced alternator but very low mileage for component failure.

Is this common and should Toyota have refunded me as my dealer says not?

Trev.

Why did you have the alternator replaced in the first place anyway? was there a problem with charging the Battery or was the power output from the alternator faulty?

Seems very odd that they knew what the problem was BEFORE the diagnosis.

They should of checked it out and told you beforehand what they were going to do, rather than saying it's this fault and just replacing it.

I've had mine since new, and nothing like this, i've heard of before.

Alot of questions, but i think you will have few answers for them.

Why did you have the alternator replaced in the first place anyway? was there a problem with charging the battery or was the power output from the alternator faulty?

They should of checked it out and told you beforehand what they were going to do, rather than saying it's this fault and just replacing it.

Thanks man- bing.

It was replaced because of the loud noise/rattle which was getting worse/louder each week.

I told the service manager about it and what I thought it was and where noise was and he knew without looking at it that it was the alternator through experience.

He then cheacked it and confirmed his diagnosis, priced the job and I booked it in cos I was travelling to Northants in 2 days time and did not want to break down.

All ok now so it was the alternator that was making the noise/rattle. Just did not expect a major componenet to fail as never had this before with ford or citroen and 30 years motoring and thought Toyota was supposed to be reliable.?

Trevor.

Why did you have the alternator replaced in the first place anyway? was there a problem with charging the battery or was the power output from the alternator faulty?

Thanks man- bing.

It was replaced because of the loud noise/rattle which was getting worse/louder each week.

I told the service manager about it and what I thought it was and where noise was and he knew without looking at it that it was the alternator through experience.

He then cheacked it and confirmed his diagnosis, priced the job and I booked it in cos I was travelling to Northants in 2 days time and did not want to break down.

All ok now so it was the alternator that was making the noise/rattle. Just did not expect a major componenet to fail as never had this before with ford or citroen and 30 years motoring and thought Toyota was supposed to be reliable.?

Trevor.

It seems to be very common with the D-4Ds. I had the same problem but replacing the alternator bearing kit and pulley fixed the rattle. I had only 15,000 miles on mine when it happened and I was 2 weeks out of warranty :( My Toyota garage told me they had fixed alot of them and a few other members on here have had it done.

Thanks man- bing.

Trevor.

It seems to be very common with the D-4Ds. I had the same problem but replacing the alternator bearing kit and pulley fixed the rattle. I had only 15,000 miles on mine when it happened and I was 2 weeks out of warranty :( My Toyota garage told me they had fixed alot of them and a few other members on here have had it done.

Thanks moviestar.

I thought it was a cover up and you have confirmed it.

How many of these have failed I wonder and should have been fixed free by Toyota.

I am dissapointed now and with all the bad press on recalls lately wonder how Toyota have done so well in the reliability surveys , J.D.Power and Which ?

Do Toyota owners not complain or report faults?or are Toyota good at covering there tracks.?

Got my eyes on Skoda next !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links