Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headunit keeps flickering

Bhamraju

Hi guys, today I had my headunit start flickering all off a sudden. The screen keeps switching off and on. Does anyone know what’s wrong with it? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

sounds like connection to display screen

Hi Regwan,there are a few possible reasons why the head unit might be flickering,The flickering could be caused by a loose connection between the head unit and its power source or wiring harness. You can try checking the connections to see if they are secure.If the connections are secure, then the head unit itself may be faulty and you may need to replace it. In some cases, the flickering may be caused by a software issue with the head unit. You can try updating the software to see if this resolves the issue.The flickering could also be caused by a blown fuse. Check your owner's manual to identify the fuse for the head unit and see if it needs to be replaced. If the above steps don't work, you can try resetting the head unit to its factory settings. This may resolve the issue if it is caused by a software glitch. Consult your owner's manual for instructions on how to reset the head unit.

If you are not comfortable troubleshooting the problem yourself, you can take your car to a qualified mechanic or Toyota dealership to have it diagnosed and repaired.Hope this help:smile:

On 2/7/2024 at 1:17 PM, Perfection said:
1 hour ago, Bper said:

Hi Regwan,there are a few possible reasons why the head unit might be flickering,The flickering could be caused by a loose connection between the head unit and its power source or wiring harness. You can try checking the connections to see if they are secure.If the connections are secure, then the head unit itself may be faulty and you may need to replace it. In some cases, the flickering may be caused by a software issue with the head unit. You can try updating the software to see if this resolves the issue.The flickering could also be caused by a blown fuse. Check your owner's manual to identify the fuse for the head unit and see if it needs to be replaced. If the above steps don't work, you can try resetting the head unit to its factory settings. This may resolve the issue if it is caused by a software glitch. Consult your owner's manual for instructions on how to reset the head unit.

If you are not comfortable troubleshooting the problem yourself, you can take your car to a qualified mechanic or Toyota dealership to have it diagnosed and repaired.Hope this help:smile:

Hello, thank you for your reply. I have done the factory reset with no luck unfortunately. It’s actually gone worse now as the bluetooth connection now drops with the touch screen unresponsive. Please can you tell me how to do a software update? I tried to do it on the settings but could not find an option to check if there is an update available. Thank you.

I would be very wary of updating the software. If it is a bad connection and it lets go during the update you stand a chance of trashing the unit.

Does it only do that when you are driving? If so then it is almost certainly a connection problem.

So when it is parked then it’s fine and it works perfectly, it’s only when I’m on the move it starts playing up. I’ve got it booked with Toyota on Wednesday so let’s see what they have to say. Also will this be under the warranty if you know? Thank you.

Hi Regwan, it sounds like a loose connection somewhere that is causing this problem so hopefully Toyota will be able to resolve this for you.

Unfortunately under the warranty exclusions it doesn't cover the multimedia system screen and buttons. However it would be unlikely considering your car isn't that old that it would need replacing. Let us know how you get on.Hope this helps.:smile:

Update:

I took it to Toyota and they said because it has a aftermarket reverse camera on, it’s causing connection issues with the power cable. Apparently both cables are using the same slot. When they bang the camera cable the screen flickers and when the bang the power cable nothing happens. They advised me to contact the dealership I bought the car from and get them to remove the camera as Toyota won’t do it as it’s not a genuine product.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links