Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Premature Change Of Brakes?

emlid

I own an almost 3 yr old Aygo. During my prepaid 3yr service yesterday despite only having done 31500k miles i was told i needed new brake pads and discs. Also told needed 2 new tyres (even though the old ones had been on only 12 months and weren't cheap ones). I was alone and coughed up £330 for the work. My other half asked me to ask for the old tyres, discs and pads,however the pads had been thrown away!! He reckons I have been conned. I am no car expert anyone else had brakes done at this early mileage??

I own an almost 3 yr old Aygo. During my prepaid 3yr service yesterday despite only having done 31500k miles i was told i needed new brake pads and discs. Also told needed 2 new tyres (even though the old ones had been on only 12 months and weren't cheap ones). I was alone and coughed up £330 for the work. My other half asked me to ask for the old tyres, discs and pads,however the pads had been thrown away!! He reckons I have been conned. I am no car expert anyone else had brakes done at this early mileage??

Doesn't sound too far fetched (well at least the brakes). My first set of front tyres were replaced at 25000. Front brakes a couple of thousand miles after that. Small front engined cars do tend to go through front tyres/brakes quickly in my experience.

New brake pads are to be expected at 31,000 - I'd be interested to see if discs were actually required. It seems to be a trend now to change everything.

Tyre wear on an Aygo is a mystery! Some get tens of thousand on a pair, some get less than 10,000.

Agree that pads @ 31K is about right. Actually, like tyre wear, you've done quite well - altho' I am guessing this is your first brake change on the car?

Aygo is known to eat tyres and brakes :(

I think I will need new pads @ 15K Miles and if I am not mistaken, just after nearly 7.5K miles (in as many months) the discs are starting to lip just a tad. So...but I have raised the issue of tyres with Toyota already. So when mine goes in for the accelerator pedal recall, I will bring as much pressure as I can on Toyota to resolve the excessive tyre wear issue on my Aygo. My target is x2 new tyres FOC :)

After 17000 gentle miles, my front discs are badly lipped.

As with most modern cars, for the size of them, the brakes are fantastic.

They very rarely fade etc.

The downside of this is that they are made from very soft materials.

Mine is about to go in for it's last service under warranty.

I have asked them to assess the brake wear.

You are allowed 1mm per each side of the disc.

(New 19mm replace at 17mm).

If I can, I'll have them changed under warranty.

If it doesn't happen, I will replace with EBC discs and EBC kevlar black pads.

I've fitted these to my wifes & my own last cars and find them much less prone to both rusting & wear.

I think that at your 31000 miles, as Aygos go, you've done well.

Ian.

I'm at almost 40000 miles and the front pads are 80% worn. I'd say that was well beyond expectation, given the racing and track days :D

Going for Mintex pads with 3G RS-10 slotted and dimpled rotors, so will see if there is any difference. Never had a problem with the performance of the Aygo brakes, though.

Paul.

Hi emlid, the garage should keep the pads and discs for you to either take away or ask them to dispose of, Technically the parts still belong to you. too late now but worth bearing in mind for the next time. agree the pads would be about ready for changing around that mileage depends on driving style, the discs may have had to be changed due to reduction of surface area, if the discs were badly rusted inner surface or outer putting new pads on with those discs still in situ would have accelerated the pad wear and reduced braking efficiency. I would have not expected the tyres to be worn in only 12 months, by the looks of you mileage they must of only done about 12 to 14 thou, especially when you say they were not cheap ones. Best to ask the garage if they checked your tracking because of low mileage of tyres otherwise you will need another set in 12months, if you just bump up a kerb on regular basis it can knock your tracking out and so wear tyres either on the inner or outer edge.Hope this has helped.

regards

jonhrh

Sounds about right. My discs were worn out and the pads still had 50% life left. I changed tyres at 28k and brakes at 35k

The price sounds ok for the work, but the discs are not up to scratch, too soft. In the old days you only ever had to replace discs if you let the pads wear away and they scored the disks, or you warped them. Now it seems to be another consumable item.

My replacement EBC disks? No lipping whatsoever. My EBC pads, better feel and more power, and they were cheaper than your quote. Sounds like Paul T is taking it a step further though, with his non solid disks. As well as temp control I guess it loses a bit of weight too ! Every little helps ... crafty devil.

Andy

My tyres were relaced at 11,000 miles

Brake Pads at 15000 miles

Brake discs at 42000 miles

I got the car with 15 miles

i could be in africa by now

Dickie's a little over 2 years old, I've had him from new.

I had to change my two front tyres after about 12,000 miles, I recently had the 30K service, car now on 31,000 miles. Needed new break pads and discs, and another change of the 2 front tyres.

Not bad going for the driving I put him through :)

I have found that PADS:DISCS ration is 2:1. In mileage terms its pads every 30K and discs around 60K. That comes from general experience of owing a variety of cars, each differing in power, chassis and body.

Mostly have stuck with genuine brakes throughout and have been very happy with the usage they get put through.

Our Aygo however appears to have very soft brakes. no doubt that will be something else I have to speak to Toyota about when they fall due before they should.

The 2 main factors are driver and vehicle usage, my Passat has done 50k and the front pads are only 25% worn because i spend 90% of my time on Cruise Control on the motorway, if your doing urban driving your on and off the brakes and that inturn wears the tyres, you also have to take a lot more low speed corners than i do.

Unless your Aygos are being used as Motorway cars ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links