Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Or Gearbox?

parky1968

Please help...there is a louder than I would expect noise from clutch/gearbox when stationary in 07 plate T180 20000miles - but it quietens down once I press the clutch in? I have taken it back to local dealer who assure? me this is normal for this vehicle and showed me a dealer only print off sheet?? :unsure:

My mechanic and second hand 4x4 dealer friends are telling me this needs resolving before the warranty expires soon - any advise on this greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Many thanks in advance :toast:

Welcome to the club Parky.

I'm afraid your mechanic is wrong this time but on a more positive note the noise you describe is perfectly normal. The noise you can hear is down partly to the dual mass flywheel and partly to the 6 speed box. Without going into too much detail they each have quite a lot of backlash in them and when you add them together can generate quite a din at idle because they are being jostled by the engine. As you say if you press the clutch or when they are under load all the backlash is taken up and they are quietened.

Don't worry!

Thanks for welcome and speedy response Anchorman :thumbsup: Just seems a bit noisier than one would expect...understanding it's diesel and all that!! :unsure:

Many thanks :toast:

If it really gets to you, ask your dealer about TSB (Technical service bulletin) CP-0030T-0808-EN. Maybe that's the one he showed you? It does say the noise is normal and does not affect component reliability, as Anchs says.

This TSB basically claims to installs sound deadening under the carpet (front seat area) and arround the gear change cables and possibly a different cable bracket. It would appear this was also changed in production about May 2007.

If it really gets to you, ask your dealer about TSB (Technical service bulletin) CP-0030T-0808-EN. Maybe that's the one he showed you? It does say the noise is normal and does not affect component reliability, as Anchs says.

This TSB basically claims to installs sound deadening under the carpet (front seat area) and arround the gear change cables and possibly a different cable bracket. It would appear this was also changed in production about May 2007.

Thanks for reply...yes prob was a TSB that he showed me but ! was not allowed to take a copy of it?? Our Rav was registered March 07 - so are you saying we may require extra sound deadening and a different cable bracket?? Sorry to be a pain!! :wacko:

Many thanks :thumbsup:

Thanks for reply...yes prob was a TSB that he showed me but ! was not allowed to take a copy of it?? Our Rav was registered March 07 - so are you saying we may require extra sound deadening and a different cable bracket?? Sorry to be a pain!! :wacko:

Hi Parky,

Welcome to the club. If you are troubled by the noise you need to ask the dealer to carry out the mods as detailed in the TSB under warranty [assuming yours is prior to the production change]

In my experience on another matter, as it is not safety related, MrT will not carry out the work unless a customer complains about the noise.

Enjoy your RAV

Thanks DavRav :thumbsup: I will do as you suggest before warranty expires early March :crybaby:

Don't forget you have the option of extending the warranty when the original runs out. Not cheap but probably worth it if you intend to keep the vehicle.

Just about to renew mine in next few months, yes I believe it is transferrable and have been quoted about £800 for 2 years with Toyota. Though you can pay monthly.

Regards

Ok any ideas how much it is to extend the warranty please anyone and is it transferable?? :unsure:

Just about to renew mine in next few months, yes I believe it is transferrable and have been quoted about £800 for 2 years with Toyota. Though you can pay monthly.

Regards

Ok any ideas how much it is to extend the warranty please anyone and is it transferable?? :unsure:

Thanks for that Lordy :thumbsup: See your a Man of Kent or Kentish Man too :yahoo: Which dealership do you use out of interest :unsure:

I go over to Abbey Citroen/Toyota at Redhill as I work nearby, have taken it there a number of times under warranty and got to say have received an excellent service-even changing my Wiper Blades under warranty ! They are also seem to have a cheaper hourly charge than some of the bigger Toyota dealerships.

Interesting you should mention the gearbox because I thought mine was packing up for the same reasons, will ask for the extra insulation myself when it goes for a service next month, so thanks for that.

Regards

Regards

Thanks for that Lordy :thumbsup: See your a Man of Kent or Kentish Man too :yahoo: Which dealership do you use out of interest :unsure:

Now that's interesting! I paid for a out-of-schedule gearbox oil change when I bought mine, just to see if that would make it quieter. (...thinking "it can't do any harm...") Of course it didn't :)

Anyone got a pdf for this TSB so I can check against my VIN? I don't seem to find it at R4W where I usually find them...

Now that's interesting! I paid for a out-of-schedule gearbox oil change when I bought mine, just to see if that would make it quieter. (...thinking "it can't do any harm...") Of course it didn't :)

Anyone got a pdf for this TSB so I can check against my VIN? I don't seem to find it at R4W where I usually find them...

Hope I've managed to forward a private message on to you, that contains that very pdf :thumbsup: Let me know ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Booked in under warranty, after I produced the TSB (cheers Davrav ^_^ ) Will keep you posted after Tuesday :huh:

Thanks everyone B)

Picked Rav up earlier on today (later in week than promised) after sound deadening warranty work been completed (the first one they have done,despite numerous similar reports from fellow Rav owners) after a short drive back home from the dealership...it seems like a different car - much quieter and more enjoyable to drive as a result!! :thumbsup:

All I can say, is that I think having the TSB to wave under their nose certainly helped to get this issue sorted :yahoo::toast:

Whilst booking mine in last week for its 40K service I enquired about the TSB, dealership came back to me yesterday and were quite categoric saying 'no' its not covered by my extended warranty. Stating extended warranties are different from the original and mine acts like an insurance policy where they come into effect when anything goes wrong. And in this case nothing has gone wrong-its just an update type thing !

They want £133 plus VAT for the kit alone and thats without the labour-which includes taking out the seats and carpet.

Hmmm do I do it myself-is it difficult taking the bits out and back in the same order ?

Well done Parky, I think you got it just in time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links