Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Software Update costing £300

BigRedSwitch

Just collected my C-HR after a service at the main dealer. Everything normal until the service fellow mentioned software update and £300 in the same breath!  What!?, I exclaimed.

Now backstep a month or two. I had read on this forum that it wasn't possible to update the SatNav maps without having the latest software version installed. No problem I thought, I'll get that done at the upcoming service. I had fallen foul of this sitruation before but the service manager at a different branch updated it for me there and then free of charge, took an hour or so though.

So, to be told it's going to cost £300 and had to be authorised by Toyota has me bemused, to put it lightly. I had explained when I handed the car over that it was so the maps could be updated but I wonder if they thought I wanted the engine ECU reloaded? I'll contact the service manager next week.

Comments?

Doesn't sound right Ian, keep us updated 👍

Someone with knowledge of this software issue will most likely post shortly.

• Like 1

just a map update on a touch2 (glass touchscreen) is £120 plus the TLS update what is FOC

late 2018 is when the new touch2 gen 3 comes in which has 2 silver knobs and silver buttons (no cd player)

smells a lot like a dealer upsell to me

• Like 4

Sounds like you're being ripped off. Get them to itemise what they are proposing and get in touch with Toyota GB (tell the dealer you will be) and see if they explain it and adjust the price...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigRedSwitch said:

I had read on this forum that it wasn't possible to update the SatNav maps without having the latest software version installed.

It sounds as though maybe something got lost in translation somewhere. We don't know:

• Exactly what you asked the dealer to do
  • Exactly what the dealer understood he was asked to do
  • Exactly what the dealer did

The quoted statement isn't correct - you do NOT need the "latest software version installed" in order to update the maps. The map set consists of a base map 'database' - a rather large file - and a series of update files that can be applied over the air (OTA). This all works fine provided that the base map database isn't too out-of-date.

When the base map 'database' gets too old, we need to replace it with a more update version. Toyota don't support this being done OTA - instead, we need to download a full update and apply this via a USB stick.

I am assuming that this is what you actually wanted the dealer to do? I don't believe there is a standard service price for this as we can do this update for ourselves.

But if, instead, you explicitly asked the dealer to install the latest version of the software they would have needed authorisation from Toyota UK since that is not a standard service item and there would be a real risk that they could break the multi-media system in the process. And the price, based on the time and care that this might take doesn't seem too unreasonable.

Maybe?

• Like 3

Philip, all good points.

I think the service agent misunderstood me and that's where confusion arose: "map" as in mapping the cars ECU for better performance or economy; whereas I meant "map" as in Satnav, although I am certain I was clear as to what I wanted. Re-mapping an ECU can't be common for a main agent but I wasn't asked at the time of presenting the car why I wanted it done because it wasn't on the service sheet of work to be done.

I'm sure a  chat with the service manager will sort it out. Meanwhile I'll try to update my Satnav maps tomorrow.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, BigRedSwitch said:

I think the service agent misunderstood me and that's where confusion arose: "map" as in mapping the cars ECU for better performance or economy

That is very unlikely to be the case - franchised dealers don't do such things and Toyota UK certainly wouldn't authorise it. But let's see what the service manager says ...

• Like 2

I've been looking unsuccessfully for the receipt from Toyota for the 3 map updates offer which I purchased some time ago, but I don't know exactly when. Without that it makes it pointless to stir up Toyota for a software update and map update that I can't prove I've paid for.

To be honest I've only used it 2 or 3 times and I can't see that I need an update; it's just that I'd paid for it and wanted to get up-to-date for the sake of it.

Waze beckons, I think..

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post.

Ian

7 minutes ago, BigRedSwitch said:

I've been looking unsuccessfully for the receipt from Toyota for the 3 map updates offer which I purchased some time ago, but I don't know exactly when.

You would have had three years from new in 2018; so, probably, renewed around 2021?

If you go via My Toyota > e-Store you can access the Purchased Item tab to see what you own and can download now, and the Payment History tab which shows what you bought and when ...

7 hours ago, philip42h said:

You would have had three years from new in 2018; so, probably, renewed around 2021?

If you go via My Toyota > e-Store you can access the Purchased Item tab to see what you own and can download now, and the Payment History tab which shows what you bought and when ...

I bought the car used in 2021. I seem to recall now that the previous owner had not refreshed his maps and I had trouble updating them after buying the 3-year map updates. The service manager at the main dealer branch from where I bought the car did it for me; this isn't the same branch who quoted £300 but the same main dealer.

I will look at My Toyoya > e-Store tomorrrow. Thanks for the pointer.

Thanks to Philip's prompting I found my Payment History on the MyToyota e-store and discovered that I had bought the three-year map updates on 23/11/21 so that gives me a few months to get this sorted.

I wonder if the £300 I was quoted included the price of a map update package even though I told them I had a three year package already? Still leaves a large labour cost for someone to press a few buttons on my head unit though!

I will go and visit the service manager tomorrow - too easy to be fobbed off on the phone.

As mentioned earlier I found the entry for my purchase of the 3Yr MapCare package on Toyota's e-Store. Then I looked in Purchased Items but there was no corresponding entry as an "active" purchase. I believe this may be why I can find no way to download a map update. I have asked Toyota Multimedia Support to investigate.

Didn't visit the local dealer because I'm sure he would have told me to contact Toyota UK.

6 minutes ago, BigRedSwitch said:

As mentioned earlier I found the entry for my purchase of the 3Yr MapCare package on Toyota's e-Store. Then I looked in Purchased Items but there was no corresponding entry as an "active" purchase. I believe this may be why I can find no way to download a map update. I have asked Toyota Multimedia Support to investigate.

Didn't visit the local dealer because I'm sure he would have told me to contact Toyota UK.

OK, we now know that you have a valid Map Care subscription. This allows you to buy a map update (at zero cost).

So, log-in to your My Toyota account and go back to the eStore. In the eStore, look at the Maps that are available for you to buy:

image.thumb.png.6e7a09d97690da949a6541e84b93e362.png

This is what it shows me - it should show you the same.

Click on the update and Add to basket. Accept the Terms and Conditions by scrolling all the way to the bottom, ticking the two check boxes and clicking Accept.

Proceed to buy the update - I can't give line by line instructions because I have already bought this one and it won't let me buy it again! However, note that the price will magically reduce from £119 to £0 once you get to the checkout.

Once you have completed that, your purchase will appear within Purchased Items:

image.thumb.png.ef46ca779966af635c94986d84d3757f.png

Click on that item to find links to download and the necessary activation code for your vehicle.

Come back once you've got that far if you would like a little more guidance to complete the update for yourself ... 😉

Philip, you've been a real shepherd. It's all coming back to me now... I think.

Anyway, I did as you said and got to a second Checkout page - the price shown was £0 - but then I got the message that there is something wrong with their system and to try later. 

Thanks for all your help.

Ian

• Like 1

What does a software update provide?  Is it limited to the infortainment system - map updates and such?  Surely there would be no charges for anything involving safe operating of the vehicle, that’s if updates do go that far?

3 hours ago, BigRedSwitch said:

Philip, you've been a real shepherd. It's all coming back to me now... I think.

Anyway, I did as you said and got to a second Checkout page - the price shown was £0 - but then I got the message that there is something wrong with their system and to try later. 

Thanks for all your help.

Ian

I seem to get that error message every time I update, but if you go to Purchased Items you may well find it has worked and the update is ready to be downloaded. 

Software and Maps updated successfully so I'm a happy bunny.

Thanks to all, particularly Philip42H.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

During my last annual service, I asked about a satnav map update and was told this is a chargeable item, separate from my service plan.  I then discovered that our daughter has Apple Play on her BMW X3, and this is free with updates being embedded in the system program, so the maps are up to date each time the satnav is used on Apple Play.  I found that my C-HR supports Apple Play, so this is now my chosen way to use my satnav.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links