Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Mats

agfs

Took car in for (£173) Service last week which included being driven home from and back to the Toyota garage before and after the 1.5 hour service. When I picked it up I was told that the mat on the driving side had been put in my boot because it was not a standard Prius mat and that Toyota had had problems with mats in the USA.(as we are already aware) The mat was transferred from my previous Corolla and, as I had had no problems with it, I put it back.

Took car in for (£173) Service last week which included being driven home from and back to the Toyota garage before and after the 1.5 hour service. When I picked it up I was told that the mat on the driving side had been put in my boot because it was not a standard Prius mat and that Toyota had had problems with mats in the USA.(as we are already aware) The mat was transferred from my previous Corolla and, as I had had no problems with it, I put it back.

Hmmm, I really wouldn't if I were you. Seriously, I'm not trying to panic you but if it slides under the accelerator pedal it can cause the car to accelerate. I know this is what all the fuss is about in the USA but it is true. I have the standard Toyota mats and they have two holes to connect to some clips in the floor. One day I had vacuumed the car and mats and threw the drivers mat in, lined it up but didn't clip it in. A few hours later I was driving up a road and when I let my foot off the accelerator the car carried on - only slightly but it was still accelerating - eeek. I tried to brake and this worked but then it set off again when I took my foot off. I looked down and sure enough my mat had slipped under the bottom of the accelerator pedal. I pulled it away and the car stopped accelerating.

Now I always ensure the mats are clipped in! For the sake of £40 go get some genuine Prius mats and clip them in. I'd hate to hear your Corolla mat got stuck and you had a bump - or worse :(

Thanks for your advice but I do secure the mat to the floor clip so that it does not go under the accelerator pedal.

To be honest I would not use Corolla mat. I thought of transfering my Avensis mats to my prius when I PX cars. The dealer said no way and included new Prius mats in the purchase price. Better to be safe than sorry.

Chris.

Your advice was taken. I was offered and accepted a second-hand set of Prius mats for £23.95.

I noted that unclipped Corolla mats fitted completely under the accelerator pedal preventing it from fully being depressed or being trapped by the mat, whereas the Prius mats are completely clear of the pedal.when clipped, which leads me to think of the possibility that some of the problems with the the pedal ‘sticking’ in the US could be attributed to the Prius mat sliding forward to cover the pedal if it wasn’t clipped.

Your advice was taken. I was offered and accepted a second-hand set of Prius mats for £23.95.

I noted that unclipped Corolla Mats fitted completely under the accelerator pedal preventing it from fully being depressed or being trapped by the mat, whereas the Prius mats are completely clear of the pedal.when clipped, which leads me to think of the possibility that some of the problems with the the pedal ‘sticking’ in the US could be attributed to the Prius mat sliding forward to cover the pedal if it wasn’t clipped.

One case in America told of a woman who had one set on top of another YES TWO SETS of mats and blamed the world for her sticking accelerator pedal !!!

People laughed at me in here when I said I've seen that done in the UK too :rolleyes:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Perhaps it would help the situation if Toyota salesmen didn't try to rip customers off. When I bought my gen3 the salesman quoted me £75 for a set of mats. I declined.!!!

Interesting question .... If an owner purchases and fits mats from a third party non Toyota supplier, does it invalidate insurance as the small print often states that the vehicle shouldn't be modified from makers standard specification.

Interesting question .... If an owner purchases and fits mats from a third party non Toyota supplier, does it invalidate insurance as the small print often states that the vehicle shouldn't be modified from makers standard specification.

Always found that interesting. Where does the car start and stop? Is an air-freshner and aftermarket modification? A box of tissues in the glove box?

Also "standard specification".... does this mean that any of the "optional" extras, including metallic paint?

Perhaps it would help the situation if Toyota salesmen didn't try to rip customers off. When I bought my gen3 the salesman quoted me £75 for a set of mats. I declined.!!!

The price of genuine mats is £62 (todays price)

If it was PROVED that the fitting of non genuine mats caused you to have an accident it might very well be an interesting conversation with your insurance company. Whilst the small print will always state this type of wording, I have only ever known of a couple of incidents where the insurance company have refused to pay out, and they were for non standard brakes/wheels/tyres. I'm sure you would get away with a new air freshener!

agfs you made a wise decision. Pleased you got it sorted.

Chris.

And that includes a couple of mat hooks. :thumbsup:

And that includes a couple of mat hooks. :thumbsup:

Yes it does, BUT take those old rubber mats you had in your Austin Allegro 35 years ago, OUT before putting your nice shiny new mats in :D: :D: :D:

Yes it does, BUT take those old rubber mats you had in your Austin Allegro 35 years ago, OUT before putting your nice shiny new mats in :D: :D: :D:

I never owned an Austin but I have some old rubber mats floating around. They've never caused me any problems in many different cars, but it is something I'll look at again, but it is poor that Toyota didn't have any Gen 2 Prius rubber mats for winter or wet conditions for sale.

I never owned an Austin but I have some old rubber mats floating around. They've never caused me any problems in many different cars, but it is something I'll look at again, but it is poor that Toyota didn't have any Gen 2 Prius rubber mats for winter or wet conditions for sale.

They do! Rubber mats for Prius Gen 2, front only ;)

PZ414-G0354-RJ

They do! Rubber mats for Prius Gen 2, front only ;)

PZ414-G0354-RJ

I was aware that there used to be rubber mats, but when I ordered at end of 2008 my dealer was sure that they were no longer available. With a parts no. I may have more success, thanks. :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links