Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Squealing When Turning Right

matt@theforce

Over the last couple of days SWMBO's Rav has started to sqeual when turning right. It doesn't happen all the time, when turning at slow speeds with a gentle turn it doesn't make the sound, turning right at roundabouts it always makes the noise.

Had it booked into Toyota this morning for a service and asked them to check it out too.

The mechanic came back and told me that he believes the squeal is coming from the driveshaft boot drying out and that it will clean up when the weather gets better.

I'm not a mechanic and have to take their word for it but it does concern me that the noise started on sunday when the roads were dryand today has been the 1st snow for a couple of weeks to settle, i would have expected if it was down to the bad weather it would have started during the early part of Jan when the snow was at its worst when swmbo was driving 1foot deep snow.

Any opinions?

Does it stop if you touch the brake?

Over the last couple of days SWMBO's Rav has started to sqeual when turning right. It doesn't happen all the time, when turning at slow speeds with a gentle turn it doesn't make the sound, turning right at roundabouts it always makes the noise.

Had it booked into Toyota this morning for a service and asked them to check it out too.

The mechanic came back and told me that he believes the squeal is coming from the driveshaft boot drying out and that it will clean up when the weather gets better.

I'm not a mechanic and have to take their word for it but it does concern me that the noise started on sunday when the roads were dryand today has been the 1st snow for a couple of weeks to settle, i would have expected if it was down to the bad weather it would have started during the early part of Jan when the snow was at its worst when swmbo was driving 1foot deep snow.

Any opinions?

If it was as simple as a CV boot dry on the outside then a quick squirt of a silicone libricant would have sorted it.:)

Does it stop if you touch the brake?

No, you can apply the foot brake and the noise continues, I orginally thought it could have been some grit stuck between the disk & pad or them binding.

If it was as simple as a CV boot dry on the outside then a quick squirt of a silicone libricant would have sorted it.:)

He did say he had applied some oil to it but it still makes the noise.

Aux belt? maybe turning right puts pressure on it some way?

What sort of squeel is it? any ideas of where about its from.

Aux belt? maybe turning right puts pressure on it some way?

What sort of squeel is it? any ideas of where about its from.

I thought of the aux belt but thats on the wrong side of the car for the noise. The noise is coming from from by the front left wheel.

If you speed up whilst its squealing the sound changes

Dunno?? would be good if you could maybe put up a video/audio clip of said noise.

Maybe the dry cv boot diagnosis is correct?

Dunno?? would be good if you could maybe put up a video/audio clip of said noise.

Maybe the dry cv boot diagnosis is correct?

I suppose the easiest way to describe it is like a squeaky wheel on a wheel barrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem on my rav 2002 d4d, drivers side front,pitch of squeal does not vary with road speed and applying the brakes does not affect the noise either. It was just on right hand bends but now its doing it all the time and its driving me nuts, anyone know what it is ?.

It has got a little better and doesn't happen so much on round abouts now but it still makes the noise when turning round in our culdisac.

Will be booking it back into the dealers in a weeks time for another look when the MOT is due.

had this once after a service with the NRG... those mr t grease monkeys did some thing on the brakes. went back to complain but 'they' could not find anything... sure

so i took it apart rebeded it all fine since :yahoo:

Same problem on my rav 2002 d4d, drivers side front,pitch of squeal does not vary with road speed and applying the brakes does not affect the noise either. It was just on right hand bends but now its doing it all the time and its driving me nuts, anyone know what it is ?.

Welcome to the club.

• 4 weeks later...

The noise had all but gone :thumbsup: and I asked the Toyota garage to check the lube they had put on as the noise had nearly gone when it went in for its MOT, Once the MOT was complete the Service guy came out and advised me that they had removed the grease that had been applied as it was picking up dirt from the road and it could deteriorate the driveshaft rubbers and they had now applied some silicon sealant/lube and now the noise has returned :crybaby: .

This in my mind has told me that the noise is coming from the driveshaft rubbers at near full lock when turning right.

What is normally applied to the Driveshaft rubbers to stop them from squeking? anyone have any diagrams etc of whats there to help me understand how it fits together and how that bit works.

Matthew

There is normally no lubricant to stop them squeaking because they don't normally squeak. I think its a red herring. Sometimes the pads squeal on full lock. Next time just ease on the brake to see if it stops it.

driving thru snow and slushy roads chucks up a lot of muck which settles on the areas around the wheels.

I would check the front calipers for cleanliness; stones jammed in between the back/dustshield and discs/calipers; the power steering belt; pads retracting properly;

then

buy a satnav that only instructs left turns.

• 1 month later...

matt, did you ever get it sorted?????

i bought a rav 4 last week and today it's doing exactly the same as yours, coming from lh front wheel, seems to be when loading is put on that wheel

had it in the garage today and a good mechanic i know had all the brakes apart, everything working as it should and is sort of scratching his head towards a wheel bearing or something like a dry cv joint, it's not making the noise normally associated with a wheel bearing so?????

help!!

• 11 months later...

matt, did you ever get it sorted?????

i bought a rav 4 last week and today it's doing exactly the same as yours, coming from lh front wheel, seems to be when loading is put on that wheel

had it in the garage today and a good mechanic i know had all the brakes apart, everything working as it should and is sort of scratching his head towards a wheel bearing or something like a dry cv joint, it's not making the noise normally associated with a wheel bearing so?????

help!!

Sorry for the late reply, I guess you have yours sorted. We haven't had it looked into any further, it still squeals when turning right but has passed another MOT so not really worried about it anymore, also we have now moved house so the furthest the car ever goes now is about 5miles from home

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links