Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Excessive Tyre Wear - Aygo Ii (mmt)

ihpj

Thought I should post this for the benefit of others on the forum:

We have all had varying degrees of wear from the factory-fit ContiEco3 fitted to the cars. In our case, the [front] tyres have lasted just 8.5K miles, having covered this mileage in as many months [from new], and this is clearly unacceptable.

My initial concerns were batted off by the Dealer and Toyota Customer Relations. I was squarely of the opinion that I was not going to fork out £60 per tyre - and thus persisted with my approach of raising my concerns. is tuck to my guns and the result is that I will receive x2 new Michelin tyres at a cost of £40 to myself, the difference in cost being picked up between Toyota GB and my Dealership.

At the end of the day, I'm not faced with the full cost of replacement, and altho' short of my FOC target, this is a very good compromise. I hope the Michelins last longer than 8.5K miles! :)

I suggest that if others are similarly unhappy, that you register a case with Toyota Customer Relations and push for contribution to replace these tyres.

After a little pushing, I have to congratulate Toyota GB for stepping up...

well i ahve just had 2 replace one of my tyres on the drivers side which had a tear through it my car is two yrs old and only done 10.ooo miles i never took it tooo my dealer instead i took it to my local garage and they fitted a michellin tyre for 42.00 i am assuming that it cd have been caused by the recent bad weather we have been having

I'm really surprised Toyota backed down and offered you a discount as they're admitting some liability for the short tyre life. Out of all the borderline cases of what constitutes 'wear and tear' I'd have thought tyres were an open and shut case - an identical set could last a heavy footed maniac 1000 miles and a cautious old dear 30,000 miles.

Is your beef that they're a faulty batch or just that they're totally inappropriate for the car to be supplied with (i.e. too soft a compound?).

10k or under on soft tyres (like the Bridgestone Potenza RE040s my Yaris T-Sport came with) is commonplace.

I'm really surprised Toyota backed down and offered you a discount...

I took a very pragmatic approach and made it clear that I was not after any admission of liability etc. - just stuck to my line of expressing concern that tyres on a car like this should last only 9K miles.

Is your beef that they're a faulty batch or just that they're totally inappropriate for the car to be supplied with (i.e. too soft a compound?).

I made no such attempt to categorise my tyres as faulty - just wanted to know why, when everything my car was A-OK, the tyres should wear away as quickly as they have. They couldn't offer any explanation and in the end agreed to my request that they meet a proportion of the cost to replace both tyres.

I have no doubt that the ContiEco3 is far too soft a tyre to fit to this car - Contis tend to be softer and therefore wear quicker - but even then, this is excessive by any means. My Local Dealer was amazed that I had got Toyota to contribute as he was adamant they would not.

I just don't take 'no' for an answer and nor am I a mug ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links