Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2005 D4d Wont Start

Jardi

Hi, I have just changed my fuel filter on my 2.0 D4D 2005 Avensis. However, I managed to spill a small amount of diesel over the electrics directly below where the filter is located. After changing the filter, the engine started perfectly but after about a minute of idling, the engine stalled and I could hear a faint low frequency buzzing noise. The engine will not start now at all. The only electrical connection that I can see which might be effected by the spill is going to the top of the fuel filter holder bracket. Does anyone know if there is a pump incorporate into the fuel filter holder? Any suggetions would be greatly appretiated.

Just checked the filter again and it appears that the rubber seal on the bottom of the filter was not seated correctly so the fuel pump was sucking in air (nothing to do with the fuel spill as suspected originally). I have sorted this but the engine will still not start.

Does anyone know, if the fuel pump was sucking up air, would this destroy it?

... would this destroy it?

Not immediately.

Probably there is still (a lot of-) air in the fuel system between the filter and the high pressure pump.

Follow the directives in the car's user guide that describes what to do when you ran your tank empty, to de-air the system.

Check the fuse for the debit pump, and double check if the problematic rubber seal is now placed correctly, clean, and not damaged.

Just checked the filter again and it appears that the rubber seal on the bottom of the filter was not seated correctly so the fuel pump was sucking in air (nothing to do with the fuel spill as suspected originally). I have sorted this but the engine will still not start.

Does anyone know, if the fuel pump was sucking up air, would this destroy it?

no

check pressure on top of filter,

is the buttom hard or spongey ?

Hi, I have just changed my fuel filter on my 2.0 D4D 2005 Avensis. However, I managed to spill a small amount of diesel over the electrics directly below where the filter is located. After changing the filter, the engine started perfectly but after about a minute of idling, the engine stalled and I could hear a faint low frequency buzzing noise. The engine will not start now at all. The only electrical connection that I can see which might be effected by the spill is going to the top of the fuel filter holder bracket. Does anyone know if there is a pump incorporate into the fuel filter holder? Any suggetions would be greatly appretiated.

hello mate

- firstly inspect the spilled connections + have them cleaned by solvent;

- secondly the fuel supply line afraids to have an air inside, so act as below:

a) be sure the fuel filter has been assembled correctly !!!! withour O-rings damaging -- if you re still in doubts - then it is better to change them agaiin;

B) the filter case is a separate unit that normally has an air vent screw/bolt on its upper lid -- so have this crew/bolt released on 1/2 of its turn + after that insert the key and switch it in ON position (without cranking !!!!)-- this enables both SCV on the pump to be opened + after that activate a primer (booster) pump (membrane type) located on the same filter lid + observe what is pushed from an air escape screw/bolt + have it primed unless a pure diesel will be appeared from it + after have it tighten.

c) switch the key OFF + check the fuel supply line again - whether it is leaks proof or not to be assured.

d) try to start the engine in normal mode with glow plugs --- it is understood the first trials might be failed -- no worries -- try it again after 10-20 seconds.

It must to be started well. Good Luck + send the outome. Cheers/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links