Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windscreen Scratches From Scraper

Glyyde

Hi,

Just a quick question that I hope someone could answer me. I have been using ice scrapers during the frozen month and I realised now that there's a long scratch on my windscreen towards the driver end (the length of the scraper vertically).... not sure how it got there as I would suspect scratches from a scraper should be more along the line of the direction I'm scraping? However, this just run the length of the scraper....

Anyway, the question would be, I can't feel the scratch touching on it myself but would this need to be repaired? Or would it affect the MOT in the future? (which would be 2.5 years time seeing that my Prius is new) Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Glyyde

On my GF's Yaris, there are several top to bottom scratches on the inside of the windscreen on the driver's side which look as if they have been caused by someone demisting the screen with the back of their hand while wearing a diamond ring. It has passed 2 MOTs with flying colours so you are probably OK from the MOT point of view.

From a repair point of view, if you are fully comp, you should be covered for a free repair so no harm in phoning up to find out.

And you could always have a free visual safety check at your Toyota dealer.

I just had a free visual check with the brakes software updates and they did not mention anything on that

Had similar problems a few years ago - I made the mistake of using a handful of snow to wash the salt off the windscreen and ended up with a load of fine scratches on the glass :( These were very fine (but bad enough to show up in sunlight).... not enough to be regarded as "chips or cracks" as far as MOT was concerned, and probably not bad enough to justify getting the windscreen changed under insurance.

Lesson was - be careful what you scrape / clean the windscreen with!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links