Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Left In Tank Question- Trip Computer Showing Wierd Range?!

hora

Range showed I had 121miles left in the tank. However the needle was at dead-empty (or nearabouts'). Filled the tank to 55.9litres (whats the capacity of a 1.8VVTI 2001 Avensis?)

At full the range now read 337. Is this normal?!

Help!

Hi there...

Interesting topic this is...and iv'e always wonderd the same thing! Glad im not alone. I have a 1.8vvti SR 2001 hatch...i fill up £50 at every fill...the computer tells me i have a range of 377...yes 377...but i only ever get approx 165 miles out of it!!! Now i had my rear brake disks and pads replaced on Monday...before that they were making a weird slaving sound as if they were touching/dragging...admit the pads were worn and disks rusty...My other half reconed thats the reason why the car was consuming so much fuel...so now i'll wait and see as i've just filled up a full tank again...basically i think these fuel computers are a dream machine for the driver...but you'll never get what it says! Maybe when the car was new...but even then...who knows! Regards

Sammy

p/s sorry if i bored the hell out of you!

Range showed I had 121miles left in the tank. However the needle was at dead-empty (or nearabouts'). Filled the tank to 55.9litres (whats the capacity of a 1.8VVTI 2001 Avensis?)

At full the range now read 337. Is this normal?!

Help!

If you think the range is wrong try resetting it. With the car stationary and the range displayed, press and hold the trip button, it will beep and reset to whats in the tank. Should say 'RESET OK'. The car must be stationary for at least 20 seconds and on level ground prior to resetting.

Q.S will do- I press/held it on the move and the display said "Range NG". So will do when stationary for at least 20secs.

Sam- that doesnt sound right at all. You should be getting alot more than 165miles from £50! Do you drive round in 2nd gear all the time!?!!!

Q.S will do- I press/held it on the move and the display said "Range NG". So will do when stationary for at least 20secs.

Sam- that doesnt sound right at all. You should be getting alot more than 165miles from £50! Do you drive round in 2nd gear all the time!?!!!

The 'Range NG' means Range NO GO I believe. If the car hasn't been stationary for long enough, it will show 'DONT RUN' and should go to 'RESET OK' after sufficient time has elapsed.

As for the 165miles from £50...... something seriously amiss. I get 140miles from £20 at todays prices and cold weather from my 1.8Vvti.

The 'Range NG' means Range NO GO I believe. If the car hasn't been stationary for long enough, it will show 'DONT RUN' and should go to 'RESET OK' after sufficient time has elapsed.

As for the 165miles from £50...... something seriously amiss. I get 140miles from £20 at todays prices and cold weather from my 1.8Vvti.

Perfect. It works and the range displayed, 310 miles available against used so far (110miles) looks spot on.

What is the capacity of the 1.8 petrols tank 60lt?

Sam- when did you last have your filters, plugs and fluids changed? Have you tried emptying two bottles of Wynns injector cleaners into an almost empty tank? Have you ever added diesel in by accident?

Hia guys...

Im always playing around by holding that trip button down to reset! In response to you all...im hoping the fact that i have now replaced my brake disks and pads the car will give me better fuel economy (i so pray to god it does!!!)...and yes i fully serviced the car myself 3 months ago (only bought the car in Nov 2009 and serviced it a week later) did the spark plugs of the correct type, oil+air+fuel filters, replaced engine oil, and replaced gearbox oil too! So as you can see i did cover all areas. The onnly thing i can think of is the engine management light came on the day i bought the car, had it diagnosed...came back as result "P0155 02 SENSOR, HEATER CIRCUIT B2 S1" and had the engine light cancelled and that was it...assumed if the lambda sensor was faulty the light would have come straight back on again! It did a few months after and i think it was because i had a leak in the exhaust just before the cat and i had it welded. I found a tiny hole under my back box the other day so i'll be using gun gum on that tomorrow. So funny how some one mentioned using wynns carb cleaner because i just bought a can today infact!!! DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO WITH IT THOUGH? I've been told to take off the black air tube going to the carburetor and spray the whole can into it once the engine has warmed whilst slightly revving the engine??? Been told the engine may feel like it wants to cut out but to keep going and it will clean out all the crap...but im scared it might set of the engine light again? Please let me know guys. Sorry to bore you all but THANKS!

Sam

Carb cleaner? Your engine is the VVTI one though (so injectors not carbs?). Im no expert though- but Im sure you have the wrong type for your engine?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links