Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bluetooth Transfer - Single, Not Bulk From Phonebook

Doc Oakley

Hi folks, new here. Took delivery of an XTR today in Astral Black - looks great, until it rains I guess...

Anyway, courtesy of a list I found on here and after fiddling with the bluetooth in the XTR for 2 hours, I have discovered that my Nokia 6300 is only partially compatible with the bluetooth system, in that it's not possible to transfer the entire phonebook from the phone to the car (in one go). According to the list posted on here, it is possible to transfer single entries...does anyone know how to do this? There doesn't seem to be an option in the menu (car or phone). The XTR offers me >phonebook>add entry>by phone...and then attempts to start a transfer (it says 'transfer' on the head unit) but the bluetooth connection simply drops. Any ideas? I can add numbers and voice tags manually OK, but doing it that way doesn't allow the adding of text to the number (which would happen if I could transfer from the phone). Cheers, Doc.

Welcome to the club Doc.

I have just had an XTR as well so I went through the same thing only last week. To be honest when it comes to modern electronics I'm about as capable as a cow with a sub machine gun and I always sit sobbing until our electronics guru - shcm comes along. I asked him the same question last week but it was before he got his new XTR and he didn't have a book to study but he does now. My daughters have fancy phones and are able to transfer text and pictures and music by bluetooth so I think it might be down to the capabilities of the phone. My 1963 Nokia brick is a non starter but I think you might find that some of the data is transfered. For instance when i looked at the list of connected devices it had my name on the display and I certainly didn't put it there! I think that number data is only displayed if the car is stationary otherwise it just says "talking" to stop you looking at it I guess. I had a little snag over the weekend where it seemed to lose the link and in the end I gave up trying to re pair them. Next time I looked it had done it on its own. I don't know how many voice tags I added but it seemed to stop me adding them after a while and I think it might be surprisingly low unless I did something wrong - about 20 maybe.

Just wait for shcm, he considers NASAs best computers to be nothing more than mangles so he will soon tell you what to do.

Just wait for shcm, he considers NASAs best computers to be nothing more than mangles so he will soon tell you what to do.

Phew, that's a lot for me to live up to and I think I'm going to fail miserably with this one :crybaby:

Anyway, I agree, the computers on the shuttle were nothing more than mangles :D. I seem to remember a few years ago NASA supposedly putting out a plea for replacement processor chips for the shuttle which were obsolete. Component obsolescence can be a big problem for some parts of the electronics industry.

I can't really offer you much more than what is in the manual. If I'd had a play with that unit, I might be able to offer you a bit more advice, but I don't have that unit unfortunately.

Might be worth repeat this here. I have what could be considered a fairly old phone/pda (treo 650). It is supposed not to work with the satnav unit. If you try and pair it with the satnav, The phone thinks it has completed the task, but the headunit just sits there waiting and looks like it hasn't paired.

A little tip (which can be found elsehwhere on the web), is to then make a call from the phone. (I called my answerphone, 'cause it is free :D). You'll then find that the headunit has in fact paired and from then on it seems to be fine.

Just wondering whether a process like that might work for you. Start the transfer (get the transfer message), wait a while, then maybe make a call from the phone? I'm just wondering whether it has transferred, but is not closing the process properly. :g:

It would appear a lot of the bluetooth protocols go through various versions, which can cause loss of function if both ends don't support that version. I've been looking at the bluetooth audio playing option (a2dp and avrcp), where you can play reasonable quality audio through the satnav unit from your media player and also control the player remotely. There are various versions of avrcp, which means all of the nice control options don't happen on the headunit, if your media player doesn't support it.

Phew, that's a lot for me to live up to and I think I'm going to fail miserably with this one :crybaby:

Anyway, I agree, the computers on the shuttle were nothing more than mangles :D. I seem to remember a few years ago NASA supposedly putting out a plea for replacement processor chips for the shuttle which were obsolete. Component obsolescence can be a big problem for some parts of the electronics industry.

I can't really offer you much more than what is in the manual. If I'd had a play with that unit, I might be able to offer you a bit more advice, but I don't have that unit unfortunately.

Might be worth repeat this here. I have what could be considered a fairly old phone/pda (treo 650). It is supposed not to work with the satnav unit. If you try and pair it with the satnav, The phone thinks it has completed the task, but the headunit just sits there waiting and looks like it hasn't paired.

A little tip (which can be found elsehwhere on the web), is to then make a call from the phone. (I called my answerphone, 'cause it is free :D). You'll then find that the headunit has in fact paired and from then on it seems to be fine.

Just wondering whether a process like that might work for you. Start the transfer (get the transfer message), wait a while, then maybe make a call from the phone? I'm just wondering whether it has transferred, but is not closing the process properly. :g:

It would appear a lot of the bluetooth protocols go through various versions, which can cause loss of function if both ends don't support that version. I've been looking at the bluetooth audio playing option (a2dp and avrcp), where you can play reasonable quality audio through the satnav unit from your media player and also control the player remotely. There are various versions of avrcp, which means all of the nice control options don't happen on the headunit, if your media player doesn't support it.

This might work

I had a similar problem with my T180 built in bluetooth system and my very old & cheap Nokia would not trandfer the phone entries - I swappped the SIM to another more modern phone (my wife's) and the transfer went ok - I still use my old Nokia as the bluetooth link to my Orange network and the odd extra numbers I just type in - the T180 set up might be quite differnt as the bluetooth works through the satnav screen !

Guy

Hi Folks

Thanks for all the suggestions there - since I last posted I downloaded the lastest s/ware for the Nokia 6300 which promises, inter alia, 'improved connection to in-car systems' - well, all 33MB of it made not a jot of difference. I'm going to try the SIM-swap method when I get hold of a suitable phone. BTW, making and receiving calls is a breeze: I went to Bristol and back today and my callers/receipients all commented on how good the call clarity is. Just a pity that the display says 'no name'!

Thanks again.

Doc.

This might work

I had a similar problem with my T180 built in bluetooth system and my very old & cheap Nokia would not trandfer the phone entries - I swappped the SIM to another more modern phone (my wife's) and the transfer went ok - I still use my old Nokia as the bluetooth link to my Orange network and the odd extra numbers I just type in - the T180 set up might be quite differnt as the bluetooth works through the satnav screen !

Guy

Hi Doc, welcome to the club :thumbsup:

It does explain the process in the main manual, I've done it myself :D

I would go into more details, but I'm currently in between visits to the toilet (if you get what I mean)! :rolleyes:

If you are still having problems, I'll put something up on the forum over the weekend

I would go into more details, but I'm currently in between visits to the toilet (if you get what I mean)! :rolleyes:

If you are still having problems, I'll put something up on the forum over the weekend

Baboonish is it Duncs?

Baboonish is it Duncs?

Duncerduncs, commiserations mate. Definitely a burning issue.

Hope its soon all behind you

DRK

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there

I would appreciate some help with the bluetooth system from anyone who has been successful in transfering numbers.

To recap, I have paired the phone ok and have used the manual input method and given voice tags ok.

When I try to transfer a number from the phone to the car system via bluetooth nothing happens.

I follow the instructions as per the manual - select phonebook,add entry,by phone,confirm. I then select the contact on the phone and tell it to send.

The phone then looks for a bluetooth device to send to. The car system is not recognised so nothing is sent.

I have tried with the system connected to the phone and disconnected from the phone.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, the car is 2010 XTR with standard kit (no satnav) and the phone is a Samsung SGH-U900.

Thanks.

Peter

Hi Peter

Just done all mine. The way I did it was like you said with the adio button - phone/phonebook/add entry/by phone/confirm/..press once more then the phone disconnected and the radio sat waiting. I then went (on a Nokia 6600) names/...(select contact)/details/options/send business card/by bluetooth/paired devices/CAR M-MEDIA. At that point the radio bursts into life and connects and shows the name first and then the number. Then press the audio button until it says add/confirm. When you have added all the contacts (not many I'm afraid - about 20 at the most) you can then also assign them to speed dial buttons. Really chuffed with mine and it works really well.

The good news for me is that I'll have to do all my contacts again on Tuesday (when I get my new car) :rolleyes:

I'll see if I can come up with a fool proof way of transferring contacts all at once :thumbsup:

I imagine deleting them will be far easier :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links