Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Glow Plug Light & Starting Engine

astrobhoy

Following on from a recent thread about the engine warning light I started, I discovered that my Glow Plugs needed changing. I happened to be talking to a friend who advised that when I start up the car, I need to turn it slightly - wait until the Glow Plug coil light goes on and then off - and then start the engine. Is this true? Am I damaging the glow plugs by just immediately starting the engine? I must say, have been trying to remember to do this and more often than not I keep forgetting!!

Following on from a recent thread about the engine warning light I started, I discovered that my Glow Plugs needed changing. I happened to be talking to a friend who advised that when I start up the car, I need to turn it slightly - wait until the Glow Plug coil light goes on and then off - and then start the engine. Is this true? Am I damaging the glow plugs by just immediately starting the engine? I must say, have been trying to remember to do this and more often than not I keep forgetting!!

hi mate

normally the glow plug tip is made of a hight temp resist alloy to be strengthed during all engine loads (exhaust gas themp).

You have an light indicator for plugs and a special time relay controls el feeding of the same plugs. Once you turn the key in ON -- an el signal goes thru this relay to plugs -- after plugs got heated ---- when you see a spiral light icon as ON -- it means the relay gives a command to plugs and once this light goes OFF - it means the relay disconnects el feeding and you can start the engine. In cacse you start the engine without plugs -- you can not affect them but affect starting Battery because you have to rotate the crankshaft unless a first sparks will be happened (thanks to hot compressed air)--- but it takes several crankings and this time depends on severals: condition of each cylinder (worn or not); outside air themperature; condition of your battery; themperature of lubrication oil. I think this helps. Cheers/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links