Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Varso Drive Shafts

dib680

Hi All, first post, I bought my Verso new in 2004, it has only done 41k, and now I'm told by Toyota that the drive shafts need replacing, it has always been serviced by Toyota, I had a 1999 Picnic before, once again from new, and not one problem. They have quoted some £1200 plus to replace them.

Has any one had any problems with their drive shafts and if so can they be bought after market, as once again Toyota want bundels for the parts.

Dibs

Hi All, first post, I bought my Verso new in 2004, it has only done 41k, and now I'm told by Toyota that the drive shafts need replacing, it has always been serviced by Toyota, I had a 1999 Picnic before, once again from new, and not one problem. They have quoted some £1200 plus to replace them.

Has any one had any problems with their drive shafts and if so can they be bought after market, as once again Toyota want bundels for the parts.

Dibs

Did they tell you why they need replacing? It must have had a very hard life to need driveshafts replacing at 41k.

They are knocking when pulling away with any lock on the steering, and that there was no way of greasing them.

They are knocking when pulling away with any lock on the steering, and that there was no way of greasing them.

Sounds like they are goosed then, not good for just 41K. Only reason for such early failure would be if they have been run for some time with split boots (gaiters) letting muck and crap in.

Should be able to get none guenuine (possibly recon) shafts from a trade parts supplier.

Sounds like they are goosed then, not good for just 41K. Only reason for such early failure would be if they have been run for some time with split boots (gaiters) letting muck and crap in.

Should be able to get none guenuine (possibly recon) shafts from a trade parts supplier.

Isn't split gaiters a MOT failure point? Pretty sure I had an older Toyota Previa fail because of that and tried those

glue them together gaiters to solve the problem. If so should have been spotted before any major damage was done.

There are no splits to the gaiters, infact the car is in as new con, I just think that the driveshafts themselves are not up to the job, as I have had Toyotas all from new for the past 20 years and this is the first one I have had go wrong, and by far it is the worst put together.

There are no splits to the gaiters, infact the car is in as new con, I just think that the driveshafts themselves are not up to the job, as I have had Toyotas all from new for the past 20 years and this is the first one I have had go wrong, and by far it is the worst put together.

I meant that maybe the gaiters had been split in the past (between MOT's) and then repaired at MOT time but after premature wear had started. Once the surface of the joints components has been damaged, wear occurs at a faster rate. I would say that 41K is not usual for driveshafts to fail, mine has over 70K on it with no driveshaft problems.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links