Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1999 1.8 Strange Rattle / Tapping From Engine Area Under Load

curlie72

Please be gentle as I am new to this forum but need some helpful assistance. My Avensis as just recently developed this strange noise from the engine bay area, from inside the car it sounds as though it is around gearbox area. When accelerating slowly through gears (2nd onwards as 1st is over to quick) a tapping can be heard whilst engine is under load. The noise increases with engine / road speed but will go if throttle pedal is backed off or clutch pedal is depressed.(The best way I can think of describing the noise is that it sounds similar to early indications of CV joint failure.) The noise eventually sounds as though it dissapears once you go above 2500rpm or when accelerating hard above these revs. I have just recently replaced some seriously warped front brake discs but don't think this relates in anyway as noise developed some time after this (although it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong). As anyone got any ideas or possibly point me in the right direction?

It would appear I have answered my own questions during the last couple of journeys I've taken. As the noise as now escalated it all seems to pointt towards gearbox internals. I would obviously need to eliminate any other drive train items but in the meantime I was hoping someone might be able to recommend a recon gearbox supplyer or similar.

It would appear I have answered my own questions during the last couple of journeys I've taken. As the noise as now escalated it all seems to pointt towards gearbox internals. I would obviously need to eliminate any other drive train items but in the meantime I was hoping someone might be able to recommend a recon gearbox supplyer or similar.

Well a new gearbox means a new clutch as well while its out - not a cheap job !

Think I would do further checks or even take it to Mr T for a test drive / quote, a good mechanic can soon spot the problem.

It could be so many things apart from the gear box, loose gearlever linkage, driveshft, brakes etc etc.

If, when you are moving, you press the clutch, the noise stops, but the gearbox is still going round with the road wheels, so it could be a broken clutch spring or thrust bearing etc

Asking the very obvious, but have you checked / changed the gearbox oil with the correct grade recently.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links