Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 .diesel ,6 Speed G/box

The Cav

HI people

brand new to the forum today

my names Phil and I drive an Avensis 2.2 D4D T Spirit 2006/06 plate 100,000mls

recently bought the motor for £5485 from a dealer in Liverpool

car is immaculate in black previously owned by custom and excises so all motorway miles

have spoken to main dealer garage in falkirk where car was based and no major problems except a new turbo at 45,000mls

just one slight concern while crawling along the M62 (traffic jam) I noticed a slight whine in 1st & 2nd gear when the engine runs down not there when accelerating

I've had the car to a gearbox repairer in Liverpool and he says its nothing to worry about other people say the 6 speed box is a bit whiney and all is normal

the thing is the noise disappears when I dip the clutch

any ideas put me out of my misery is the box OK or worn etc

Do you mean like a kind of grinding noise. If it is i get the same noise and it goes when the clutch is pressed. Its normally at low speeds of 20mph. I think this might be due to the flywheel because its dual mass.

Do you mean like a kind of grinding noise. If it is i get the same noise and it goes when the clutch is pressed. Its normally at low speeds of 20mph. I think this might be due to the flywheel because its dual mass.

thanks for the reply

no the noise is defo a whine

hard to describe really I only hear it when the car is rolling after taking my foot of the accelerator

and the car is slowing down while still in 2nd gear could be just a bit low on oil or poss a noisy differential

another mate told me yesterday to dont worry about it just drive it...great advice i know esp as the car is a dream to drive compered to my previous drive ....a VW T4van ....(i used to be a moblie dj until last year) so this year treated myself to the avensis....a good buy me thinks ...did fancy either an accord,saab 93 vector or a vectra diesel but plumpted for the avensis

hope i made the best choice

Cav

I get the same whine when engine braking or coasting in gear (well in 1st and 2nd anyway) in my 2.2 t180. Its always done it and ive only got 30K miles on the clock.

To be honest ive forgotten it does it, I deliberatly listened out for it this morning after reading this thread and its still there but otherwise I dont worry about it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links