Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Paintwork On New Auris!

jackadee

Hi

We bought our Auris T2 (2010 plate) 3 weeks ago- lovely Island Blue colour- and it already has TWO chips in the paintwork!! one on the bonnet and on the driver's side door!!- we are not impressed. i am driving the same route to work as i have always done. the garage say"we have been unlucky"-maybe so BUT i drove an old fiesta on the same route for 4 yrs and that did not happen. has anyone else found the paintwork dodgy-have Toyota cut corners?We had it superguarded too at £250 extra!!We are worried now that if it is not sorted it will surely rust???

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Jacs

Hi

We bought our Auris T2 (2010 plate) 3 weeks ago- lovely Island Blue colour- and it already has TWO chips in the paintwork!! one on the bonnet and on the driver's side door!!- we are not impressed. i am driving the same route to work as i have always done. the garage say"we have been unlucky"-maybe so BUT i drove an old fiesta on the same route for 4 yrs and that did not happen. has anyone else found the paintwork dodgy-have Toyota cut corners?We had it superguarded too at £250 extra!!We are worried now that if it is not sorted it will surely rust???

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Jacs

water based paint thats the problem!i had a 6 month old corsa vxr and lost count of the stone chips it collected in 3 months could not live with it so got shut and got the compressor with NO CHIPS IN PAINT!

[quote

Doesn't matter what car you buy new, they will all have water based paint - which doesn't cope as well as oil based paint as regards chipping, scratches, etc. Supaguard will help resist light scratches and keep the shine, but will not protect against stone chips.

Some Toyota Centres offer 'smart' repairs where you can have stone chips, etc repaired. Otherwise I've used Chipsaway in the past with good results.

After the severe winter many roads are in a poor state, surfaces crumbling etc due to frost damage, so there is much more debris around.

I doubt there is a problem with the paintwork... dark colours show marks more easily... the car is new so you are "super sensitive" to spotting any marks too.

I doubt there is a problem with the paintwork... dark colours show marks more easily... the car is new so you are "super sensitive" to spotting any marks too.

I think the comment above is a little on the harsh side , jackadee has only had the car for 3 weeks for pity's sake , sure people are super sensitive with a new car , i agree with that , but.....

Manufacturer's have to use water based paints now , but who's to say that the paint & lacquer hasn't been applied thinly , the lacquer should provide a hard Shell for the paint underneath , but again , is it of a good quality , are there differences between one manufacturer's paints and an others , i'd probably say yes , i'm no expert of course , but i do sympathise with jackadee , who's to say its not a manufacturing fault , it might , i think jackadee should contact Toyota Customer Relations 0800 1388 744. and have a word , give them a call and take it from there .

For your guidence , Toyota Customer Care Charter http://www.toyota.co.uk/bv/1024downloads/Customer_%20Care.pdf

• Like 1

Get real people.Stone chips in paint are made by flying stones- the clue is in the name. They are quite often thrown by other cars tyres and there is NO PAINT that can resist such impact. You can put plastic film on your paintwork (ie 3M)- I think Porsche does it by default. That can protect against smaller stones but not big ones cough on motorway during 80mph.

The best self applied stuff is from www.drcolorchip.com I used this on my Type R and Honda paint you can spit through.

Doesn't surpise me that the paintwork has already got chips, my 08 plate Verso has got huge chunks of paint missing now from small stones thrown up from M-way driving. The paint would be more durable if it was made of cheese! My old VW was 10 years old and far better in that respect.

I think the comment above is a little on the harsh side , jackadee has only had the car for 3 weeks for pity's sake , sure people are super sensitive with a new car , i agree with that , but.....

Manufacturer's have to use water based paints now , but who's to say that the paint & lacquer hasn't been applied thinly , the lacquer should provide a hard Shell for the paint underneath , but again , is it of a good quality , are there differences between one manufacturer's paints and an others , i'd probably say yes , i'm no expert of course , but i do sympathise with jackadee , who's to say its not a manufacturing fault , it might , i think jackadee should contact Toyota Customer Relations 0800 1388 744. and have a word , give them a call and take it from there .

For your guidence , Toyota Customer Care Charter http://www.toyota.co.uk/bv/1024downloads/Customer_%20Care.pdf

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies- good advice Mooly- will contact toyota customer care.Obviously we may have been unlucky! BUT-its a bit startling having paid so much money for this car!! and it was not on a motorway-just local roads! anyway lets see what happens eh?

Doesn't surpise me that the paintwork has already got chips, my 08 plate Verso has got huge chunks of paint missing now from small stones thrown up from M-way driving. The paint would be more durable if it was made of cheese! My old VW was 10 years old and far better in that respect.

A VW of this age would have had oil based paint - which was more durable, but still subject to stone chips.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies- good advice Mooly- will contact toyota customer care.Obviously we may have been unlucky! BUT-its a bit startling having paid so much money for this car!! and it was not on a motorway-just local roads! anyway lets see what happens eh?

Don't mention it :D But the names Balli Hi :blink:

Hi all,

Sorry!! Thanks Balli Hi- great advice and help.

Good Luck with this one, can’t see what you expect to them to do, are stone chips Mr T's fault?. I had a screen go with less than 100 miles on the clock, s**t happens. If they don’t do anything get a touch up stick and sort the chips yourself.

Going to be really harsh now so look away, Supaguard is rip off, don't buy it again :) I used to sell it the commission was more than i got for the car sometimes!

Let us know how you get on :)

Can you post some pictures of the chips maybe ?

I took delivery on Tuesday of new Auris (Decuma Grey) so will be watching closely.

Didn't mean to sound "harsh" but unfortunately, given the state of many roads it's a fact. Many surfaces have crumbled over the winter, you only have to look at the side of the roads to see all the loose debris, and that is going to get thrown around, particularly in the wet.

Modifying your driving style to suit road conditions helps a lot too... so keep a good distance, if you are on the M/Way and it's wet then try (not always easy) to slot into a space in the inside lane and keep a good space around you. Accept the journey will take a bit longer.

Not trying to lecture you, but I know there is a lot you can do to help prevent damage.

Only yesterday I noticed an "emergency services" vehicle approaching me from behind at high speed, so I just ducked into a side turning to avoid being showered with debris from the central reservation... sometimes you just have to take action.

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned a variety of Mr T's finest since the early eighties, both private and commercial vehicles, and the paintwork has always been pretty poor and thin. It takes nothing to scratch or chip especially around doorhandles and boot catches.

Regular application of high quality polish helps a little.

I've owned a variety of Mr T's finest since the early eighties, both private and commercial vehicles, and the paintwork has always been pretty poor and thin. It takes nothing to scratch or chip especially around doorhandles and boot catches.

Regular application of high quality polish helps a little.

Which is just what I did on Monday, gave it a good polish :) I have always declined the Supaguard treatment too.

While talking of paintwork, the dreaded unreliable Audi A4 I owned did seem to have tough paint. Used to do 40+ mile a day with a motorway stretch of 18 miles or so and the chips were minimal. When you did pick one up it didn't flake a huge chunk off. The Carina XL and the TSport were not as good as the A4 in that regard. Will have to see how the Auris stands up but I expect similar to the others.

If we're talking about the best motor for paintwork, I'd have to nominate my old long-dead Bedford Midi van.

Sure it rusted like a good 'un through the paintwork in places, but the paint itself was really tough. I'd wash and wax it once a year, the rest of the time it was left to the weather the clean the muck off (and plaster, concrete etc.). After I'd waxed it (minute wax, nothing fancy) it always looking really good.

Oh, for paintwork like that on my T180!?!

• 1 month later...

You will find contacting Toyota Customer Care are a complete waste of time on this matter.I have got a lot of stone chips mainly on the front plastic spoiler which after all should absorb the impact unlike metal.In their opinion stone chips are not a paintwork failure. I have asked them to inspect the damage but they are unwilling to do so.The paintwork is definately very poor when compared to other cars which I have owned.I am extremely dissappointed by the lack of concern shown by Toyota on this matter.

Hi all,

Sorry!! Thanks Balli Hi- great advice and help.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links