Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hamilton Apologises Over Driving

Raistlin

Formula 1 star Lewis Hamilton has apologised after having his Mercedes impounded in Australia for driving in an "over-exuberant manner".

Hamilton, 25, was stopped in Melbourne for allegedly "deliberately losing traction" of the vehicle.

Hours earlier Hamilton clocked the fastest time in practice sessions ahead of Sunday's Australian Grand Prix.

Hamilton was pulled over while driving a 2010 Mercedes C63 close to the Albert Park circuit.

Reports in Australia said the 2008 Formula 1 world champion was seen "doing a burnout and fishtail".

A spokesman for Victoria Police said: "A 25-year-old man who resides in Switzerland will be charged on summons in relation to improper use of a vehicle."

Hamilton released a statement through McLaren, for whom he drives in the Formula 1 championship, apologising for his actions.

"I was driving in an over-exuberant manner and, as a result, was stopped by the police," he said. "What I did was silly, and I want to apologise for it."

Hamilton was driven back to his hotel in a police vehicle following the incident. "There were no problems whatsoever when the driver was stopped," said the spokesman.

Hamilton is likely to face a fine if found to have committed an offence.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links