Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Airport Parking

Jolly English Gentleman

I have booked our holiday which means parking the car at the airport for 2 weeks. We are flying out of Luton. The last few times we have flown from there, the arrangement at one car park has been to leave the car in one area, where they then move the car to a long term area and return it to the pick up point for collection. Naturally this means leaving the car with someone who may not be familiar with the start up and switch off routines.

I am not saying that ours will be the first Prius to be left at Luton airport, but I am cautious, as quite a few years ago I had a Rover 214 with remote c/l (when it was still rare) and had a bad experience at Luton returning to find that they had somehow managed to get all the locks out of sync. This car was not new, but you'd think they'd never seen remote central locking before as they must have used the key to open the door. It took me ages of unlocking and locking each door one by one from the inside to get them all synchronised again. This was with a reputable Air Parking firm close to the terminal.

I plan to discuss this with which ever Airport carpark operator I decide on to get some reassurances that they do have experience of the model, but I am just wandering whether there are other owners who can either confirm my fears or tell me I am worrying about nothing.

It is for similar reasons, including the fact that I distrust people with my cars, that I always go to the airport by private hire car :yes:

I have booked our holiday which means parking the car at the airport for 2 weeks. We are flying out of Luton. The last few times we have flown from there, the arrangement at one car park has been to leave the car in one area, where they then move the car to a long term area and return it to the pick up point for collection. Naturally this means leaving the car with someone who may not be familiar with the start up and switch off routines.

I am not saying that ours will be the first Prius to be left at Luton airport, but I am cautious, as quite a few years ago I had a Rover 214 with remote c/l (when it was still rare) and had a bad experience at Luton returning to find that they had somehow managed to get all the locks out of sync. This car was not new, but you'd think they'd never seen remote central locking before as they must have used the key to open the door. It took me ages of unlocking and locking each door one by one from the inside to get them all synchronised again. This was with a reputable Air Parking firm close to the terminal.

I plan to discuss this with which ever Airport carpark operator I decide on to get some reassurances that they do have experience of the model, but I am just wandering whether there are other owners who can either confirm my fears or tell me I am worrying about nothing.

If you use the park-and-ride service then no-one needs to move your car.

You are one brave person leaving your car for 2 weeks with some minimum wage racer who will show no respect for your pride and joy.

A colleague I use to work with left his girlfriends fairly new car with these cowboys when they went on holiday, only to find that each door was covered with parking dents from parking too close to the other fools customers cars when they were away. It also had more mileage on the clock than it had before it went in.

And no, you’re not worrying over nothing! I wouldn’t be able to relax on my hols if my car was left with these people. Use a coach taxi or train etc and leave your Prius at home :thumbsup:

A friend of mine had his rare Porsche 928SE written off in airport carpark as some 18 year old decided to move it and totally lost control. Never give anyone your keys, you have no idea who will end up driving it.

I can understand your concerns about airport parking particularly Luton. Any no mark could attempt to drive your car and I cannot see them knowing the Prius systems. If you have friends who reside near Luton perhaps they could help you with parking. I would not hand my Prius car keys to anyone except Toyota Dealer or breakdown service. I would rather use the dreaded public transport than risk it. Luckily I have a good son who gives us lifts to airports. If my son is flying from Luton he leaves his Prius on our drive and if it is a 4am start he gets a taxi from here. If it is normal working hours I can take him and pick him up. Even that can be difficult at Luton.

I wasn't as thorough (didn't discuss beforehand) but my Prius came with a 1-page "quick start" card which I left on the dashboard just in case when I recently used an off-site car park at my local airport. An added bonus was that the car was warmed up ready for my return (as it happens it was covered in snow so they had cleared the windscreen as well).

In my opinion (and my experience!) you're far more likely to get a dent (and have to claim off your own insurance) in a supermarket carpark. But then again, I've never parked at Luton :unsure:

When you hire a vehicle they go round it with you marking all the dents on a sheet and signing it so you are liable for any extra dents.

Could you do this with them so they sign for the condition it is received in?

You don't want to leave your car in a carpark. Leave it in your locked garage and get a cab - not that I'm biased or anything ;)

Manchester Airport shuttle park is great, pre-book, go through the barriers, park up on nicely laid out tarmac, well lit, jump on the bus with keys in hand, not a carpark attendant in site, no handing over of keys, brilliant

I used a different carpark than normal at Liverpool once, had to hand over the keys and the car was driven into an undercover hanger. Arrived back a few days later, car was outside parked up and waiting for me, no dents or extra mileage, good service again. Not every airport has louts working for them

Kingo :thumbsup;

You don't want to leave your car in a carpark. Leave it in your locked garage and get a cab - not that I'm biased or anything ;)

Time was when local Taxi firms could match their prices with the cost of two weeks airport parking at any of the London Airports and add a tenner or so for the convenience and make a living. It therefore made a cab a non brainer.

Those days have long gone sadly even accounting for a fill up at Chorleywood. Result is that many can't be bothered with unsocial hours let alone the M25 without charging a premium. OK not going to Gatwick this time, but there was a time when they could fit a Luton drop off with say a Gatwick pick up, so making the trip even more worthwhile for them.

Besides I have bet my other half that I can do the 180 mile round trip with less than half a tank (hopefully nearer a third) ;)

I have emailed the operator that I have narrowed it down to and am awaiting their reply. Looking at the long stay car park at the terminal. If they can assure me that it will be left where I park it, then that should be sufficient. I always reset one trip and leave the other showing mileage from home when parking at airports/airport hotels, so I would know if someone had driven my car.

I have never had problems before at any airport/airport hotel other than the experience described before. I am just being cautious because of the start up and stop routines and the issues described elsewhere about Battery failure through not shutting doors properly.

I do have the card than came with the car, but from my own experience when I first had the car the card could be better designed and written.

I can understand your concerns (and your desire to use valet parking!). I've used a valet parking service at Manchester airport with no problems (before I go the Prius) (but then, it's a company car, so isn't quite so stressful if anything happens to it.... though I do have a £150 excess to contend with, so it's not quite trivial!)

I've had similar issues leaving my Prius with a local hand car-wash (long story - but parking at work is a nightmare, and I'm able to get half a day's parking and the car washed for a fiver if I leave the car with them!) Even though I've explained the Prius to them I always feel worried!

For the car-park, I'd suggest a simple "idiot's guide" - even simpler than the ones that come with the car.... printed in a 20 font and left on the dash!

To start:

Foot on brake, press START

Foot on brake, move selector to D

Release parking brake with left foot

Drive off.

To Stop:

Foot on Brake, press P

Foot on brake, press START (to stop the car)

Left foot to set parking brake.

For the car-park, I'd suggest a simple "idiot's guide" - even simpler than the ones that come with the car.... printed in a 20 font and left on the dash!

To start:

Foot on brake, press START

Foot on brake, move selector to D

Release parking brake with left foot

Drive off.

To Stop:

Foot on Brake, press P

Foot on brake, press START (to stop the car)

Left foot to set parking brake.

You’re assuming the minimum wage immigrant can read the Queens English, if they can’t here are a few alternatives...

Aby uruchomić:

Stopy na hamulec, naciśnij Start

Stopy na hamulec, wybór przejść do D

Hamulec postojowy Publikacja z lewej stopy

Przepędzać.

Stop:

Foot o hamulcowe, naciśnij klawisz P

Stopy na hamulec, naciśnij przycisk START (zatrzymanie samochodu)

Pieszo Pozostało aby hamulec postojowy

لبدء :

الاقدام على الفرامل ، واضغط على ستارت

الاقدام على الفرامل ، وتحرك محدد إلى دال

الافراج عن وقوف السيارات الفرامل مع القدم اليسرى.

يطرد.

لإيقاف :

الاقدام على الفرامل ، ف الصحافة

الاقدام على الفرامل ، اضغط ستارت (لوقف السيارة).

Za početak:

Nogom na kočnicu, pritisnite START

Nogom na kočnicu, premjestiti selektor do D

Izdanje parkirna kočnica sa lijevom nogom

Otjerati.

Za Stop:

Stopalo na Brake, pritisnite P

Nogom na kočnicu, pritisnite tipku START (za zaustavljanje automobila)

Lijevo stopalo postaviti parkirna kočnica

शुरू करने के लिए:

ब्रेक पर पैर, प्रेस स्टार्ट

ब्रेक पर पैर, चलो डी चयनकर्ता

रिलीज के बाएं पैर के साथ पार्किंग ब्रेक

बंद चलाओ.

बंद करने के लिए:

ब्रेक, प्रेस पी पर पैर

ब्रेक पर पैर, प्रेस स्टार्ट (गाड़ी रोकने के लिए)

बाएं पैर पार्किंग ब्रेक स्थापित करने की

Kuanza:

Wakaivunja miguu juu, waandishi START

Wakaivunja miguu juu, ili kusonga selector D

Release parking wakaivunja kwa mguu wa kushoto

Drive off.

Ili Stop:

Wakaivunja miguu juu, waandishi P

Wakaivunja miguu juu, waandishi START (kusimamisha gari)

Mguu wa kushoto kuweka parking wakaivunja

:thumbsup:

:eek:

Thanks for the above.

I have been advised in writing that they will only move your car with Priority parking. If you park in either the short,medium or Long Term car parks at Luton, they can't move your car as you get to keep your car keys. That's assurance enough for me. :thumbsup:

:eek:

Thanks for the above.

I have been advised in writing that they will only move your car with Priority parking. If you park in either the short,medium or Long Term car parks at Luton, they can't move your car as you get to keep your car keys. That's assurance enough for me. :thumbsup:

Excellent.

I hope your mpg improves soon . . . . . :yes:

I have used Luton Long Stay and Mid Stay. They are now both drive-in and take ticket car parks. You park and take your keys with you. It is also cheaper if you book online via the airport website.

http://www.london-luton.co.uk/en/parking/

Ed

Even cheaper if you book with the AA :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up on this, I had a slight concern that it might not start after being idle for 2 weeks and thus causing Battery problems. Pleased to say it started first time.

No damage noticed although I found myself surrounded by 4 x 4's which made it a tight squeeze to get out of the space - the rear view camera really came into its own.

Recently parked at Silver Zone at Bristol Airport the car was not moved (did leave the instructions on the seat in case)

It did start without any problems and there was no damage. Used Silver Zone there for years.

I was away for 9 days.

So now all you have to worry about are the people that park on either side of you. When the kids fling the back doors open with !Removed! abandon.... It's Holiday mode!!!!

Leave the car at home. It's not worth the risk or the money.

Trev..

That can happen in a supermarket car park if the parents have not set the child locks.

So now all you have to worry about are the people that park on either side of you. When the kids fling the back doors open with !Removed! abandon.... It's Holiday mode!!!!

Leave the car at home. It's not worth the risk or the money.

Trev..

If I followed that logic to its conclusion, I wouldn't have a car at all . . . . . :(

If I followed that logic to its conclusion, I wouldn't have a car at all . . . . . :(

What were your assumptions? What reasons can you give to argue that parking at an airport for two weeks would equate for example with a much shorter visit to the supermarket? Would the age of my car matter? Would it make a difference if the car had had a previous owner? Whether I hand washed and polished the car or took it to a car wash or never washed it at all? Would the length of my flight make a difference e.g. would I want to and be safe to drive after a tiring 14 hour return journey?

What were your assumptions? What reasons can you give to argue that parking at an airport for two weeks would equate for example with a much shorter visit to the supermarket? Would the age of my car matter? Would it make a difference if the car had had a previous owner? Whether I hand washed and polished the car or took it to a car wash or never washed it at all? Would the length of my flight make a difference e.g. would I want to and be safe to drive after a tiring 14 hour return journey?

Are these questions addressed to me? They don't seem to have much to do with my post.

If you want me to explain, I was responding to a post that said in effect that you should not take the car out of the garage if doing so puts it in danger of damage. Since every car is in danger of damage whenever you take it out of the garage, the logical conclusion is that you should never take it out of the garage. If I was forced into that situation, I wouldn't see much point in buying a car.

I have been parking cars in airport carparks since the 1950s and have yet to have one damaged. I am sure there are others whose experience has been different from mine. I have a friend whose car was damaged when a ladder fell on it while it was in his garage, but I still put my car in the garage, even though there are two ladders hanging on the wall. Life is full of surprises, but we shouldn't get neurotic about them - just take the best care we reasonably can - and buy insurance . . . . . . :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links