Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

03 Avensis Rust On Rear Brake Drums

tezza

The outer 1cm of the handbrake drum part of the rear brakes on my car are rusting badly. Its clearly visible through the alloys. Has anybody else had this??

I had rust on the drums of my Avensis '99 too. I saw that all the Avensis's with drums had this. I have my drums replaced with discs. No more rust for me. New paint job with heat resistant paint is needed.

The outer 1cm of the handbrake drum part of the rear brakes on my car are rusting badly. Its clearly visible through the alloys. Has anybody else had this??

Following your message I decided to have a look. I was quite surprised because I didn't realise there were separate drums for the handbrake :D

Anyway my car was bought in October 03, and so far there is no sign of rust. There is a bit of the drum that seems less well finished than the rest but no rust so far.

I wouldn't have thought its a major issue because all brake parts tend to rust where no contact is made. Even discs rust on the surface if you dont drive the car for a few days.

Yes, I know it's not serious. It's just doesnt look good behind the alloys spokes. I will be getting it sorted by the dealer at the first service hopefully.

Yes, I know it's not serious. It's just doesnt look good behind the alloys spokes. I will be getting it sorted by the dealer at the first service hopefully.

Just a suggestion but why don't you clean the area with a wire brush and paint the drums with a few coats of black hammerite, will stop the rust for a couple of years.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links