Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Idiot Drivers

Chris Dance

I was on a minor road near my home town. I cycled this road as a young boy so although I am now an oldie I still know every bend etc on it very well. On a sharp bend a car came on the wrong side of the road and tore the drivers side wing mirror off my car. The driver sped off and never showed any sign of stopping. When I could, I stopped and had to cut the electric wire to the mirror as that was all that was holding the mirror to the car.The mirror glass had shattered so he hit me at a fast speed there were also minor chips to the drivers side window. I was about 40 miles from present home and when I could I rang my local dealer. He has ordered a new mirror and he told me the bill will be over £300. I am allowed one claim on my insurance policy in any one year so I have decided to claim. I do have a £200 excess. I rang the insurers and it depends who you get when you ring claims. The person I spoke to the first time told me that if I did not take it to their approved garage an engineer assessor would have to view the damage. Also there was a problem as I did not get details of the other driver. I told this person what I thought about their no hassle claim policy and many other harsh words. When I got home late this afternoon I rang the claims again. This time I got no hassle from claims chap; he said take at it to your Toyota dealer get the job done and send us an invoice. He made a claim on my behalf over the phone it was easy. So beware folks who you speak to if you have to make a claim, also be careful on bends there may be an idiot coming on your side of the road. My Prius was immaculate so I am not a happy chappie getting damage which is not my fault.

I am allowed one claim on my insurance policy in any one year so I have decided to claim.

Don't forget though that whilst you may have "protected" no claims discount, they will (probably) still apply a claims loading to your premium next year. :ffs:

My Prius was immaculate so I am not a happy chappie getting damage which is not my fault.

Had far worse than that a year ago. A 16 year old youth who was over the limit took a bend too fast and ran into a neighbours wall before crossing our driveway and garden and ended up on the other side of our garden about 2 feet outside our front window. The flying masonry caused £2,000 damage to my Partner's car, our front door and window. Total claim cost was around £6,000. The insurance claim has still not been finalised as the passenger was a named driver on the Policy covering the car that the youth was driving.

As I was the last person to drive the car it made it very difficult to find an insurance company willing to renew my insurance this time round even though I was sat indoors watching TV when it happened. As for my partner, her premium did go up, but it may be adjusted back down again when the other party's insurance company has settled, which they have said they eventually will.

I have definately not been a happy chappie dealing with two insurance companies, and solicitors appointed by one of them and essentially getting everyone to co-ordinate things. My feelings have been well a truly :censor: at times.

The only thing that kept me sane was the thought that it could have been far worse. We were 2 feet away from having a car in our front room, in which case neither the car occupants or ourselves could have been around to deal with the aftermath.

Ultimately these claims can end up being covered by the Uninsured Driver's Fund, which every insured motorist pays into. Since this incident I have often thought that they should instead make uninsured teenager's pay the full cost of any damage caused whilst illegally driving a car, in a way similar to that which they have to repay student loans through their earnings in later life.

I was on a minor road near my home town. I cycled this road as a young boy so although I am now an oldie I still know every bend etc on it very well. On a sharp bend a car came on the wrong side of the road and tore the drivers side wing mirror off my car. The driver sped off and never showed any sign of stopping. When I could, I stopped and had to cut the electric wire to the mirror as that was all that was holding the mirror to the car.The mirror glass had shattered so he hit me at a fast speed there were also minor chips to the drivers side window. I was about 40 miles from present home and when I could I rang my local dealer. He has ordered a new mirror and he told me the bill will be over £300. I am allowed one claim on my insurance policy in any one year so I have decided to claim. I do have a £200 excess. I rang the insurers and it depends who you get when you ring claims. The person I spoke to the first time told me that if I did not take it to their approved garage an engineer assessor would have to view the damage. Also there was a problem as I did not get details of the other driver. I told this person what I thought about their no hassle claim policy and many other harsh words. When I got home late this afternoon I rang the claims again. This time I got no hassle from claims chap; he said take at it to your Toyota dealer get the job done and send us an invoice. He made a claim on my behalf over the phone it was easy. So beware folks who you speak to if you have to make a claim, also be careful on bends there may be an idiot coming on your side of the road. My Prius was immaculate so I am not a happy chappie getting damage which is not my fault.

Was probably a bl**dy taxi driver. You know how they drive :!Removed!:

No it was not a taxi driver. It was some old git like me my wife tells me. My wife was passenger in my car and she says I was driving safely on my side of the road. Wives are never wrong are they? I never saw the other driver but he accelerated out of sight round a bend.

At least they're not heated and autopark otherwise they would cost even more to replace

:unsure:

At least they're not heated and autopark otherwise they would cost even more to replace

:unsure:

They are heated... and if by "autopark" you mean they drop down when in reverse... they've all the stuff in them to do that too. I guess auto folding is the only thing left that saves money.

Mirror got knocked off on Tuesday. Local dealer ordered new one the same day. It arrived today Thursday and will be fitted 10am tomorrow Friday. I think that is good service from my dealer. I think it is going to be expensive!!!

Mirror got knocked off on Tuesday. Local dealer ordered new one the same day. It arrived today Thursday and will be fitted 10am tomorrow Friday. I think that is good service from my dealer. I think it is going to be expensive!!!

Because of where I live in the Peak District a lot of the roads can't cope with white van drivers and this happens a lot. Best value I ever had was with the Mazda 6, a second hand part from eBay cost £40 inc delivery. The Civic was much harder and I had to go to the dealer, (it had powerfold, heaters, auto dip etc), even then they agreed a price of £120 plus VAT for the assembly (the colour coded bit wasn't damaged)

I'd be interested to know how much it is on the Prius Chris.

Took my car in at 10AM to local dealer today for drivers mirror replacement. They promised it would be ready at 11AM and it was ready. Service was first class. The total bill inc VAT etc. £285-30. It is not worth claiming on insurance as I have a £200 excess. The bill was lower than I expected but I am still annoyed at having to pay it because the damage was caused by an idiot driver. (Labour is now £95 per hour!!!.) I was told that smashed off mirrors on the Prius for that dealership is about one a month.

I did ask about a second hand or demo Gen 3 as my son would like to part ex his Gen 2. There were none available and there was no new Gen 3s in the showroom. SOLD OUT. Shows how popular the Prius is despite all the media hype.

Jonathan I spoke to Direct Line Ins. I inquired that if I had made a claim and because I had protected no claim would they still load the premium for next year. They stated NO they would on no account do this.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links