Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 D4D 2008 Tourer

taximan1256

coming home from work and temp indicator went bananas went up to 3/4 then dropped back to under normal cooling fan kicked in and seemed to get it under control luckily i was only 500 yards from home so plonked it on the drive popped bont and engine bay was covered in frothy coolant. so let it cool down and washed it off mixed the correct amount of a/freeze with hot water and refilled the sytem started her up and got the car to normal operating tempreture and checked for leaks top and bottom hoses were as hard as a rock extreme thumb pressure to dent them then coolant poured from the small tube on the expansion tank could i be the victim of the dreaded 2.2 gasket failure only had the car 13 months and milige is showing 73.000 it had 16.700 when i bought it. advice would really be appreciated before i go to mr t.

Sounds like a gasket failure to me. Turn the motor on and listen around to see if you can hear any unusual noises. Also, go to a garage to get a compression test. If you're losing compression then its is confirmed, your gasket has blown. :(

Sorry :mellow:

coming home from work and temp indicator went bananas went up to 3/4 then dropped back to under normal cooling fan kicked in and seemed to get it under control luckily i was only 500 yards from home so plonked it on the drive popped bont and engine bay was covered in frothy coolant. so let it cool down and washed it off mixed the correct amount of a/freeze with hot water and refilled the sytem started her up and got the car to normal operating tempreture and checked for leaks top and bottom hoses were as hard as a rock extreme thumb pressure to dent them then coolant poured from the small tube on the expansion tank could i be the victim of the dreaded 2.2 gasket failure only had the car 13 months and milige is showing 73.000 it had 16.700 when i bought it. advice would really be appreciated before i go to mr t.

Although your car is past the normal 60,000 miles warranty but have Toyota service history you may find that Toyota have extended the head gasket warranty period to 100,000 miles, just go and see them as they should be able to do something for you. If not tell them you are going to contact Toyota GB, ......... I don't think they need any more bad press right now!

Best of luck,

Pete.

no loss of power no steam from exhaust no oil in water and vice versa i will have to show off at mr t tommorrow if it is head gasket as this is a known problem on this forum and try for a warranty repair 70.000is not very good for what is sopposed to be a quakity car my picasso never used a drop in 4 years and 470.000 (not a typing error) miles.

Quick update car now at gordon lamb sheffield for diagnosis very nice and knowledgeable service assistant ( lucy )they hope to confirm and get in touch with mr t to get authorisation (hopefully) my only worry at the moment is will this problem reoccur in the future as i have only worked this car for 13 months and it will have to work for at least another 4 years 100.000 miles will be reached by november this year so a head job every year is out of the question for the rest of its working life considering the 3k price tag, so heres hoping for a result from toyota gb.

Quick update car now at gordon lamb sheffield for diagnosis very nice and knowledgeable service assistant ( lucy )they hope to confirm and get in touch with mr t to get authorisation (hopefully) my only worry at the moment is will this problem reoccur in the future as i have only worked this car for 13 months and it will have to work for at least another 4 years 100.000 miles will be reached by november this year so a head job every year is out of the question for the rest of its working life considering the 3k price tag, so heres hoping for a result from toyota gb.

Hello again, once Toyota have fitted the modified head gasket you shoud be ok and you have warranty on the warranty job. You could then consider taking out Toyota extended warranty which covers everything that the orginal did, it may be around £500-£800 but in your case it will be worth it.:thumbsup:

Best regards Pete.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links