Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

After The Egr Was Cleaned

lazer_mjj

HAd my auris T180 coming upto a week now and out of curiosity started to search for common faults on the forum. Found the EGR valve to be most common so took it off and cleaned as everyone else with some carb cleaner and elbow grease. After putting it back on the car I started it and nearly crapped myself at the awful sound it made and it stalled. The dash flashed up the enigne light on the second startup so disconnected the neg on the Battery to clear the error code. Left the car for a few minutes before starting and the code appeared to be clear, took the car for a spin all seemed fine and mpg had risen a little but the car seems louder and has more of a rattle than it did before it was cleaned. Any ideas? Is this normal?

How far have you driven it?

Sounds like you got carb cleaner in the intake manifold and/or EGR valve which will create a noisy burn.

Make take a few miles to burn off especially if its in the EGR valve and it gets re-introduced with each opening.

Probably covered 50 miles or so. Made sure the valve was dry when i put it back together but cant account for how much went into the manifold. It feels like its got full power but wondering if the EGR was blocked enough that the soot would cause enough resistance to stop it working fully without the ecu picking up an error. The cars only covered 15k

Ive come from petrol engines, this is my first oil burner so not sure if Im paranoid of a rattle as that would usually be terminal in my previous cars

Just taken it down to Toyota and they think there might be a blocked injector so needs further investigation

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links