Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Banging Noise From Rear Of Car

Catweazle

Hi

Only had my RAV for 2 weeks now and the banging noise which seems to be coming from somewhere towards the rear of the vehicle is really starting to get on my nerves. It sounds like a panel reverberating rather than something underneath knocking but I have removed the parcel shelf, rear wheel cover and the wooden panel which covers the recess in the boot floor but all to no avail. It only happens at certain sppeds on certain road surfaces but driving around town happens a lot.

I'm hoping that someone else has experienced this and can tell me the fix.

Have you considered sticking some sound deadening pads on the inside of some of your panels.... maybe this would help :huh:

On a lighter note.... I once had a banging noise at the rear of my car, it took me 2 days to work out what it was.... I had locked my missus in the boot :rolleyes:

On a lighter note.... I once had a banging noise at the rear of my car, it took me 2 days to work out what it was.... I had locked my missus in the boot rolleyes.gif

Does the expression dead meat mean anything to you :D

On a lighter note.... I once had a banging noise at the rear of my car, it took me 2 days to work out what it was.... I had locked my missus in the boot rolleyes.gif

Does the expression dead meat mean anything to you :D

Yes.... my wife said I would become that :blink::help: :D

Did make the missus travel in the back to see if she could locate the noise but she wouldn't let me forget that she was there!

Did make the missus travel in the back to see if she could locate the noise but she wouldn't let me forget that she was there!

At least you didn't let her drive... :D

IF I made SWMBO travel in the back the back axle could fall off and I wound`nt be able to hear it! :unsure::unsure::bangin::laughing:

banging noise in the back on a 5 year old RAV

rear suspension bushes; diff mount; rear exhaust mountings; shock absorber mountings; should all be checked for play.

Thanks Bothwell_Buyer and Anchorman

I have checked underneath as well but it sounds more like a panel drumming than something knocking.

Has anyone experienced the sound made through the failed weld on the back door as mine really isn't a rattle?

Thanks Bothwell_Buyer and Anchorman

I have checked underneath as well but it sounds more like a panel drumming than something knocking.

Has anyone experienced the sound made through the failed weld on the back door as mine really isn't a rattle?

On mine its an annoying squeak

• 1 month later...

Solved at last!

Whilst cleaning the RAV on Saturday, noticed that the nearside sidestep was a little loose and made a noise when wobbled. Put my head underneath and found that the cantilever bracket wasn't making contact with the floor pan and instead was free to knock against it. Put in some cardboard packing as a test and 70 miles of testing later no bangs - bliss!. Will carry out a more permanent fix later.

Solved at last!

Whilst cleaning the RAV on Saturday, noticed that the nearside sidestep was a little loose and made a noise when wobbled. Put my head underneath and found that the cantilever bracket wasn't making contact with the floor pan and instead was free to knock against it. Put in some cardboard packing as a test and 70 miles of testing later no bangs - bliss!. Will carry out a more permanent fix later.

wot a star! Thanks for letting us know.

For anyone out there, I now supply small squares of cardboard at £199.99 - all proceeds to charity! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links