Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Brake Noise

rpaterson

Hi Folks,

I changed the rear discs, pads and handbrake shoes on my wife's '02 NRG a couple of weeks ago and now they're making a noise. It's definately related to the pads as pulling the handbrake on a few clicks makes absolutely no difference whereas just touching the brake pedal stops the noise. Ah yes, the noise - it's like a tap tap tappety tap tappety tap tap etc. If I try to literally press the brake pedal through the floor then it shuts up for maybe a few hundred yards and then it's back to being noisy.

Weather permitting, I'll be stripping the brakes back off at the weekend to have a nosey - but has anyone else experienced this? It's driving the missus mental, therefore it's driving me mental too!

Hi RP,

I remember quite a few posts on the Avensis site were to do with same problem, caused by non-Toyota brake pads being used in Toyota calipers. The "pattern" pads were slightly smaller backings than OEM, so rattled about a bit, especially on rough roads, so shim kits had to be used.

Just a suggestment,

Big Kev. :thumbsup:

I don't mind being right, but just love it when somebody else is wrong.... :D

Hi Kev. Well they are pattern pads (dunno what make). I've used Ferodo in the past with no probs.

Is the problem that the backplates are a little thinner, as I would have though that the caliper piston woudl take up any slack? Or is it that the 'shape' of the pads are slightly undersize?

ps - that sig is uncomfortably close to mine :)

Look closely at the position where the pad registers on the caliper. They tend to wear and then as Kev says the pad becomes loose and rattles. The RAV rear caliper was prone because in an attempt to reduce the risk of pads sticking, they made the abutment very thin. It works but wears out quickly.

Hi Don. Yes, that area is worn on the calipers but it's been worn for ages and the noise has only just started recently??? In a previous thread I suggested perhaps shimming the abutment with some stainless steel. To be honest it sounds more like the pad is wobbling inboard/outboard rather than rattling from the top to the bottom of the caliper but I'll definately be exploring both scenarios.

To mis-quote Ashes to Ashes - fire up the Dremel :)

The pads should have shims and a spring under the pins to surpress the movement. I will post pics ASAP.

Oh aye, those shims/springs rusted to buggery and were binned ages ago! I know that I should replace them, but I've not gotten around to enquiring about prices. I know that a handbrake shoe fitting kit is 25 quid so I guess that the shims will come with a new set of pins and R clips as well so will prob cost around the same???

I think that I've sussed the problem now, the lower caliper slider wasn't as free as it could have been so I've cleaned it up and lubed it slightly. I've been a test drive and all seems well and quiet. I guess that a clue could have been that mashing the brake pedal to the floor worked for a short while!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links