Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Road Tax Back ?

SilverT4

Can't help thinking the new chancellor might restore some form of road tax back to hybrids.

Suppose it was a bit of a novelty having £0 tax on a new hybrid, but now there's quite a few of them about, maybe the novelty has worn off and we may be paying tax again, even if its a low rate.

Any predictions for the budget in June?

All the parties have made too many claims about being "Green" and reducing CO2 levels etc. I cant see anybody championing the environment, who then applies a tax to a car with very low emissions, just cant see that happen

As for other taxes, the mainstream parties have, in the past, wanted to reduce taxation and they have all stood on their soapboxes to talk about it. I wished that somebody, pre election, would have stood up and be counted, saying this country is in a mess and we all need to pay more tax, stick a couple of pence on everyones tax bill until such time as the deficit is reduced. Of course we do need to cut back on Govenment quango's and wastage, it is rife, if we want a civilised society and all the things that go with it, we need to pay for it, but let's take a fresh look at the books and see what we can all do without for a while, I'm sure there are thousands of areas where we could cut back in Government, just like we have all had to cut back in our own homes these last couple of years.........Rant over ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

The Road Tax now gives no break for hybrids. It gives it to cars under 100g CO2 like the Gen3 Prius.

Cameron has always tried to talk the green talk so who knows?

The Road Tax now gives no break for hybrids. It gives it to cars under 100g CO2 like the Gen3 Prius.

The current arrangement gives a £10 discount off the annual road tax fee for any hybrid above 100g/km. The gen 2 Prius at 104g/km is just £10 a year to tax, it's £20 for a normal band B car (101-110g/km).

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

• Like 1

One of the many factors in me getting the Prius was the £0 road tax, against £215 for a diesel mondeo automatic. Even if the road tax is increased for the Prius from zero, it will still be lower than the rest as if the less than 100g/km band goes up, so will all the others and probably proportionately. Ie if the Prius goes to £50 pa, the Mondeo auto goes from £215 to £275 for example.

Any government, even in the present economic mess created by our previous, communist in all but name, government, will still try to encourage 'greener' vehicles. And the Prius is there at the top of the list for green cars.

I also personally like the new idea from Boris about the London Congestion Charge being amended to exempt vehicles under 100g/km rather than just hybrids as previously. I always thought it odd that the Lexus 4x4 hybrid was ok but an eco supermini car wasn't.

OK so gen 2 Prius owners and Honda hybrid owners will be cheesed off but hey life is tough :unsure:

Cheesed off? nah, its still gonna be cheap for my Gen II, and my company pays it anway! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect that the £10 discount may disappear on the grounds that Hybrid's take up just as much room on the road as a non hybrid. The discounts will probably all be targetted at the 100% electrics assuming that Government support for the Nissan Leaf remains in place.

One of the many factors in me getting the Prius was the £0 road tax, against £215 for a diesel mondeo automatic. Even if the road tax is increased for the Prius from zero, it will still be lower than the rest as if the less than 100g/km band goes up, so will all the others and probably proportionately. Ie if the Prius goes to £50 pa, the Mondeo auto goes from £215 to £275 for example.

Any government, even in the present economic mess created by our previous, communist in all but name, government, will still try to encourage 'greener' vehicles. And the Prius is there at the top of the list for green cars.

I also personally like the new idea from Boris about the London Congestion Charge being amended to exempt vehicles under 100g/km rather than just hybrids as previously. I always thought it odd that the Lexus 4x4 hybrid was ok but an eco supermini car wasn't.

OK so gen 2 Prius owners and Honda hybrid owners will be cheesed off but hey life is tough :unsure:

hi crabbie

how come your road tax was so high on the mondeo, was this cos you have a higher tax rate when used for taxis.

my mondeo ST tdci (161 CO2) was £150 annuel, last 15 DEC.

All cars should pay a set fee... and the money should be re-invested in the roads...

None of this discounted/free nonsense ;)

thumbsup.gif

hi crabbie

how come your road tax was so high on the mondeo, was this cos you have a higher tax rate when used for taxis.

my mondeo ST tdci (161 CO2) was £150 annuel, last 15 DEC.

We pay exactly the same rates as everyone else. I am aware that some of the small diesel Mondeos are much less than £215, but I go for automatics and they're rated higher, working out between £215 & £250 a year.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links