Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Do We Mollycoddle Our Diesels ?a

local hero

After reading some posts on here about EGRs needing cleaning at 22000mls the hazards of supermarket fuel etc,etc it just made me wonder if we aren't mollycoddling our Toyota diesels..A friend of mine has an 8yr old cab that has a 2.4 TOYOTA engine in it. It is designated as a 2lt engine probably as used in a HI LUX/ACE we don't really know..Anyway from new it has never had a MrT service, has been run on cheap fuel, never had its EGR cleaned out,has been run on non synthetic oil as + when it was felt neccesary, the only item replaced has been the water pump, It is emissions tested to euro iv std, every 6mth + has never failed it has currently done 380,000+mls :thumbsup: Stew

toyotaengine023.jpg

toyotaengine020.jpg

There's yer secret then - run it 24 hours a day... never let it get cold...or is it the fact that he oils the hinges regularly?

When was the last time you dieselly 5 door RAV drivers oiled yer doors?

After reading some posts on here about EGRs needing cleaning at 22000mls the hazards of supermarket fuel etc,etc it just made me wonder if we aren't mollycoddling our Toyota diesels..A friend of mine has an 8yr old cab that has a 2.4 TOYOTA engine in it. It is designated as a 2lt engine probably as used in a HI LUX/ACE we don't really know..Anyway from new it has never had a MrT service, has been run on cheap fuel, never had its EGR cleaned out,has been run on non synthetic oil as + when it was felt neccesary, the only item replaced has been the water pump, It is emissions tested to euro iv std, every 6mth + has never failed it has currently done 380,000+mls :thumbsup: Stew

toyotaengine023.jpg

toyotaengine020.jpg

Could it be, Stew, that this incredible engine was built before Toyota's main mission in life was to become THE BIGGEST?

Jist the thoughts of Chairman Me,

Big Kev

What you are forgetting folks is the biggest influence on all our lives - Brussels! The only reason all these gadgets are fitted is because legislation keeps tightening on emmissions and it is the shape of things to come. Our RAVs meet level 4 (IV) but the new D-CAT already meets level 5 and they want level 6 in by 2014;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards

Nice illustration;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Euronorms_Diesel.png

The daft thing is that it isn't global legislation so while we live in a clean cocoon the rest of the world is spewing out garbage like there is no tomorrow and those old diesels are plodding around in huge numbers without a minutes trouble.

I'm afraid your mates old bomb proof taxi engine might as well be driven by steam Stewpot if you think we could ever have engines as straight forward and simple again. The fact is we're stuck with these things so you might as well accept them and get used to mollycoddling and the taste of pate. Now did I tell you that pate no longer meets euro standards and you could well turn purple and fester if you eat even a molecule of the stuff? Well, according to Brussels................

There's yer secret then - run it 24 hours a day... never let it get cold...or is it the fact that he oils the hinges regularly?

When was the last time you dieselly 5 door RAV drivers oiled yer doors?

No need bothy, it all hinges around the modern materials they are made from :thumbsup:

The 2L engine was used in early models and has been around a long time, early Hilux in particular had this engine, and then in later life it became 2LT with the addition of a turdblower

Toyota had a deal with a Taxi manufacturer (back in the 90's I think) to supply this engine for their Taxi range, you might know who the Taxi company was Stew???

As dealers we were briefed on what the warranty scheme for the engines would be, but I cant EVER remember us repairing one under warranty. We used to sell shed loads of filters to the Taxi boys though, as they do like clocking up the mileage!

Big Kev...........I had to read your post again, I thought it said you were Chairman Mao :eek::naughty::lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

"What you are forgetting folks is the biggest influence on all our lives - Brussels! The only reason all these gadgets are fitted is because legislation keeps tightening on emissions and it is the shape of things to come. Our RAVs meet level 4 (IV) but the new D-CAT already meets level 5 and they want level 6 in by 2014;"

Absolutely right, the sooner we all wake up and realise how much our lives are being affected by this giant money grabbing undemocratic centralised mafia the better.

"The daft thing is that it isn't global legislation so while we live in a clean cocoon the rest of the world is spewing out garbage like there is no tomorrow and those old diesels are plodding around in huge numbers without a minutes trouble.

"

No, the daft thing is that it is in any legislation, the whole basis of carbon tax is an absolute scam, just google climategate, its worth spending a few hours looking at the FACTS as there are volumes of complete nonsense out there and plenty of irrelevant name calling.

The issue isn't even whether climate change is real - of course it is its been going on for millions of years and will continue to do so, and the issue isn't whether we should be looking for other renewable energy - I think that is a good idea too, the scam is that MANMADE CO2 has any affect on climate change whatsoever and the evidence simply is not there.

The scientists who support the theory are mostly as brainwashed as the rest of us listening for years and years about the greenhouse effect and global warming and carbon tax, you just kind of accept it as true without really looking at the science behind it.

So then we get a load of leaked emails from the people running the main scientific modelling for climate change and find that they have been deliberately falsifying figures, manipulating data, and trying to get opposing scientific theories stopped from reaching publication. Now if your theory is proven by solid science would you need to do this? What does this say about the integrity of the people running the science?

Oh, yeah and then they had an 'inquiry' run by a guy who is chairman of two companies that are directly involved in the alternative energy industry - set to become the largest and most valuable sector of industry the world has ever seen - mostly on the basis of carbon tax and carbon trading (trading - yeah shifting digital money around will help, that'll save the planet, can you see how obvious the fraud is?!)

Anyway, it was no surprise to find out his conclusion was that the science was sound and we should all pipe down and keep paying our taxes! :censor:

"The fact is we're stuck with these things..."

Sorry but its this sort of lilly livered attitude that has us where we are in the first place, get up and do something about it, switch off your TV sets folks go read some books and then start getting !Removed! angry with your MPs, your government and most of all your corporate media. Write to them, pester them, call them, demand that the truth gets out, kick out all the corporate puppets, stop watching rubbish trivia on tv all night and we might stand a chance.

Or you can toddle off with an ignorant smirk to your soap operas and fish and chips - just don't forget to bend over with a little ball bearing grease in hand, ready to take some more up the backside from your corrupt government in Brussels...these people aren't in power because they want desperately to look after you, I hope none of you are so naive to think that, so why do you think they would want to 'save the planet'? No, they want all your money and they want to drain it all off into Europe and on into private Banks.

You may wonder, "What does this have to do with my RAV?"

Well you do know your road tax is based on carbon emissions right??? If you sit back and accept this then next there will carbon tax on your food, on your electricity, on your gas, on your house, oh yeah and you breath it out every day so I guess that might be the final nail in the coffin.

Most of you guys drive Rav's because you have some semblance of intelligence, only the ignorant can be duped like this, stop burying your heads in the sand for a 'quiet life' and get angry and in time with effot you can change it, if not for yourselves for your kids. Your main stream media only tows the line, they are corporations and corporations exist to make money nothing more, the people with all the money decide what you see and what you don't see and that includes the BBC. There are hardly any real journalists left, just puppets for the money masters thats why they all read from scripts, most of them don't even know what they will be saying until they are reading out loud to you.

Welcome to the land of the Zombies!

Crikey, I wouldn't be surprised if they even tried to outlaw this type of opinion (free speech) soon just to make sure they can keep the wool well and truly over your eyes.

Me, I'm very happy :yahoo: that I have finally realised what they are doing and I'll fight it tooth and nail, I aint going back to slumbersville any time soon, hope you don't either. :thumbsup:

(Oh my god, I must have been THINKING TOO MUCH or maybe even READING TOO MUCH :o , must go bash my brains out with a litre of vodka and watch the idiot box for a few hours to make me sane again, :eek: ha ha ha. NOT! :P )

...........well! See what you started Stew? :rolleyes:

Very eloquently put Ravmania - it made me laugh and it made me think so thanks for the input.

BTW my liver isn't lily coloured, I was saying we have to put up with all the clutter bolted to the engine to make 1% of difference during cold starts!!!

The one that makes me laugh (read that as :censor:) is this carbon tax on flights I pay every time I leave this island. Is it me or is a tax only on the UK public and not the rest of the worlds aviators just another evil back door tax?

BTW my liver isn't lily coloured, I was saying we have to put up with all the clutter bolted to the engine to make 1% of difference during cold starts!!!

Hey sorry Anchorman, I didn't mean it to sound personal, I know you're an ace guy and you put loads of time and energy into the forums, I have the utmost respect for you. I just get so upset at how dumbed down we all are, I'm angry at myself as much as anything for being so apathetic for so much of my life...

I say stand up to them !! :angry: :angry:

I'm doing my bit - the neighbour wants our overgrown forest hedge cut down but I'm using EC Directive (too long numbers) Appendices 1-5 which state that you can't remove the habitat and nesting facilities of various hundreds of types of birds... which seems to include magpies who my school education (in England)taught me that they use anyone elses nest. :toast: :toast:

So back to the diesel pollution, theres a roaring trade in selling old diesel plant equipment to 3rd world countries - so much that the 2nd hand prices in the UK are extremely high. I guess once my diesel landrover is working then it will be worth a fortune.

...........well! See what you started Stew? :rolleyes:

Well Flipping Heck :eek: It was only an engine :rolleyes: Kingo, the company that originally made that cab were MCW metro cammel wakeman the same company do the Metro bus, It originally had a ford engine, then Reliant took it over, then Hoopers the Rolls Royce coachbuilders, The latest version, I believe its still made, though only about a dozen a year its called the Metro TTT toyota turbo taxi, Prince Philip has one, supposedly to avoid the congestion charge :rolleyes: I could post a picture if anyone was interested :unsure: Great post Ravmania :toast: If you stood for parliament you'd get my vote :yes: But suppose we will have to give JEDWARD a chance :thumbsup: Stew

do you know what gets right up my nose.........................................stupid politicians who blame the motor industy for global warming, aship kicks out 1/2ton of carbon emmisions for every tons of cargo carried, a truck 250 kgs per ton carried, a plane 5000kgs, so why dont the air industry get taxed and battered like the motor industry, did you also know if you drove a porsche in china, the emmisions coming out of the exhaust is cleaner than the air it takes in, the motor industry is the only industry that meets and exceeds carbon emmisions, so the politicians should p*****f and leave us alone. just my opinion

DAMN!DAMN!DAMN!

I would love to give my opinion on the state of climate change but the wife has chopped up and burnt my treasured soap box. :rolleyes: ;) :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links