Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV Type 2 cable is a pain

Tom_w

I wondered if anyone else finds the cable that came with the car very bulky.

Parked next to another PHEV (Cupra Leon) at a charge point and the cable for that, which is a VW part produced by mennekes was half the diameter. Perhaps because the max charge rate looks to be 3.6 kWh for them and 6.6kWh iirc for the Rav4.

I understand the relationship between conducter diameter and electrical capacity but wondered if anyone had bought a properly rated Type2 cable and found it to be lighter and easier to store?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I purchased a new genuine VW 32amp lead online £89.99 inc postage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom_w said:

I wondered if anyone else finds the cable that came with the car very bulky.

Parked next to another PHEV (Cupra Leon) at a charge point and the cable for that, which is a VW part produced by mennekes was half the diameter. Perhaps because the max charge rate looks to be 3.6 kWh for them and 6.6kWh iirc for the Rav4.

I understand the relationship between conducter diameter and electrical capacity but wondered if anyone had bought a properly rated Type2 cable and found it to be lighter and easier to store?

I replaced it with a 5m fluorescent green cable. So the postman doesn't trip over it when he cuts across the lawn from next door. Can't recall what it cost but good to 8kW. R4P 6.6kW and my wall box can output up to 7.4kW. So it covers the future bases.

I did have a really long one which I got for cheap in the good old days of the wall box grant. But sold it as my wife decided she didn't need to use the drive for her car so there's never a car in front of mine, which was he basis of getting a long cable. 

• Like 1

Yeah.....I've always thought the cable supplied bulky.

Like all things Toyota, robust.

Tight coiling to keep compact can be a pain.

Increased frequency of charging doesn't help. 

A task I wouldn't want to tackle in a wedding suit on a wet day.

A minor downside for RAV PHEV's IMO.

Barry Wright, Lancashire. 

• Like 1

We have a 7 amp tethered Podpoint EV charger to date I have only used the 32amp lead once (I brought it just in case ?), the 13amp lead supplied with the vehicle is unopened

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links