Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Options For A Ra40 Xt?

Kp30 tony

Hi,

I've given up on the Corolla and bought a cheap RA40 XT to restore. Its great but it seems to be burning quite a bit of oil.

Got some mods planned for it but I really need some help.

Brakes: Got some 4-pot volvo calipers which I intend to adapt.

Suspension: Will modify the front struts to height adjustable, but does anyone know were i can get lowering springs for the rear?

Engine: If i rebuild the engine can I fit a 18rg head to the 18r? How much for it? What about exhaust, intake manifold and carbs? Or should I try to fit a 3SGE and get 150+bhp and fuel injection? Has anyone heard of it being done?

Finally Body panels: Does anyone do repair sections for the RA40? Or cheap second hand panels?

Thanks for the info

Tony

Hi Tony,

I should be able to help with lowering springs for you, drop me an email.

Re 3SGE - Can be a challenge to use in a RWD application. The 3S is designed to run at a 15 degree slant but the bellhousing that can connect the 3S to a W series RWD gearbox does not account for this. Apparantley, the lubrication system will require modification if the engine is mounted flat, though I believe there are RWD 3S's running in Australia OK, at no slant. I've seen a website with a 3SGTE in a TE71 like mine.

Maybe a 4AGZE and a T50 would be easier for your 150hp (more like 165hp+)?

Or a T-VIS 4AGE 16v + T50 or even ITB'd 4AGE 20v (costly).

Maybe a 5MGE + W series 'box from a Celica Supra, even an MA70's 7MGTE.

Or, keep it old old school with 18RG + carbies like you say.

Thanks for that.

Had a look in the Haynes manual yesterday and it appears that i've got a W50 gearbox in the celica.

Will a 4AGE bolt up to the W50? Is there gonna be enough torque from the 4AGE? Aren't they about 130bhp? The perfect solution would be the 4AGZE but they are a tad pricey. :o

I have found an 18rg without carbs for £100 and I'm seriously considering it.

I'll get in touch about the lowering springs.

PS Have you managed to sell the TE71?

No, the A series engines need a T50, however there is a bellhousing available to mount the A series to the W gearbox (more money again though).

Indeed, 4AGE's lack torque and need at least 4,500 rpm to go anywhere, but the 4AGZE has low down grunt in abundance. I still think a 5MGE would be nice...160hp, plenty of 6 pot torque, very strong engine.

That sounds like a good deal for the 18RG...definately the easiest and most cost effective route and retains some originality.

Yeah I still have the TE71...was it too far for you to come for in the end as well?

I am increasingly tempted to keep it, and transfer my old AE86 suspension to it, now I have some new coilovers/shocks and springs for the AE86. It's either that or sell it to fund more parts for the AE86. Decisions, decisions....

Keep the TE71, it looks real nice in the photos and you can easily turn it into the ultimate sleeper car :)

Unfortunatly it ended up being too far for me to travel (i'm 20 miles north of Newcastle) otherwise it wouldn't have been parked on your drive anymore :(

Thanks for all the help.

Toysport in the U.S do conversion kits for the 3sge and 3sgte, pricey but i be that 40 serries would go like hell. Then theirs the nissan Srd20t or whatever its called from a 200sx, which might be my next conversion, or the toyota 2.5 twin turbo will fit.

Uve got lots of options, the 18rg can be tuned to 200+ bhp (bored and stroked to 2.4), or even turbo charged to give around 300..... your call. How much power are u looking for, and for how much money :lol:

Well looking for cheap as chips and 120 to 150bhp to start with. With more to come when funds allow.

Scot do you know if there are repair panels available for an RA40? I've been trying to get in touch with Billy to join the TEC and I'm about to get in touch with my local toyota dealer but was is the best option?

Well looking for cheap as chips and 120 to 150bhp to start with. With more to come when funds allow.

Scot do you know if there are repair panels available for an RA40? I've been trying to get in touch with Billy to join the TEC and I'm about to get in touch with my local toyota dealer but was is the best option?

Hmm, i'll search for the pannels, but any i find will prob. be fibreglass mate, and expect to pay around £50 per wing, but i bet that is gonna be way cheaper than toyota, but check with them anyway mate. Goodluck with TEC mate.

ooo, TEC might have the pannels for you aswell......

Tony,

Toyota will crucify you on prices. If you can get FRP panels then go with those since they're cheaper, lighter and won't rot. Check the finish of them though, since often they need a good refinishing to take primer and paint well.

Re engines - IMO, engine conversions running near stock are often better than nice build-ups. You get stock reliability and it actually costs less than all the parts to rebuild the old engine nicely. Of course, you lose the factory fit and originality kudos though.

The SR20DET is a very popular choice at the moment. It's all alloy so very light for a 2.0 turbo and will give an easy 250hp near stock. Don't go overboard on power and torque though, since, like the AE86, the diff/rear axles are quite weak on the RA40's (6.7"?) and cant really cope with over 200hp in the long term.

That £100 18RG sounds best though.

If your oil burning 18R is a good runner, I know someone who would be interested if the price was cheap enough.

Let me know how you get on with the TEC...I've left a couple of messages for Billy but I think he must be really busy.

FRP panels would be great. No rust and less weight as you say. Any idea of any stockists? I suppose I could try and make some myself, but that be the last resort ;)

I should know by the weekend if the funds (and wife) will allow for the 18rg :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links