Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cigar Lighter

Wrinklymike

I wish to use a solar panel to keep my Battery topped up due to car not in continuous use, using the cigar lighter for power BUT

The cigar lighter turns off with the ignition switch. I have contacted three local electrical experts who cant be bothered to reply.

Is there a remote chance anybody can help, I am in Worcester U.K. I dare not touch modern electrics.

Thanks folks

Mike

Some solar panels are available that connect directly to your car Battery rather than needing to be powered by the cig lighter thumbsup.gif

Some solar panels are available that connect directly to your car battery rather than needing to be powered by the cig lighter thumbsup.gif

Thanks for that.

Yes I have the crocodile clips, but would prefer to have an internal connection rather than lifting the bonnet every time we use the car.

The annoying thing is there are two accessory sockets (cig lighter) and I cant use either!

Mike

Old but not doddery.

You can also buy accessory lighter sockets, with the crocodile clips. Just get one, remove the short bit of wiring (or cut, and extend with male/female connectors)and replace with longer length. Run it through the car out to the Battery. Either use the clips or fit some looped ends and connect to Battery. Just be sure to install a fuse, too. You can buy an inline fusebox, that just opens up to install new fuse, plus extra wiring etc, from most motor factors.

You can probably find a nice little hiding ploace for the lighter socket too, in one of the gloveboxes or under the shelf.

SIMPLES! :thumbsup::toast:

You can also buy accessory lighter sockets, with the crocodile clips. Just get one, remove the short bit of wiring (or cut, and extend with male/female connectors)and replace with longer length. Run it through the car out to the battery. Either use the clips or fit some looped ends and connect to battery. Just be sure to install a fuse, too. You can buy an inline fusebox, that just opens up to install new fuse, plus extra wiring etc, from most motor factors.

You can probably find a nice little hiding ploace for the lighter socket too, in one of the gloveboxes or under the shelf.

SIMPLES! :thumbsup::toast:

Thank you for such precise instructions.

I reckon I could have ago if somebody climbs under the dash for me.

Mike

Old but not doddery

We bought a solar panel for my mother as she only drove her car occasionally and not for very long, so the Battery was always running down.

BUT - Most only put out 1 watt or so, which isn't even enough to compensate for normal drain let alone compensate for the car being used for repeated short runs where the Battery never got charged up enough to compensate for the starter motor current used in starting it.

In the end we've thrown the solar charger away and bought an "automatic charger".

You will still have the same issue regarding how you connect it, but after 12 months of never being able to rely on the car starting, my mother now simply leaves the auto charger on all the time and the car is always fully charged. She thinks its absolutely brilliant.

This is what I bought and it was the best £45 I ever spent, having wasted £15 on the solar charger....

I've installed it in her house, extended the 12v leads out into the drive and she simply leaves it switched on in the house all the time, plugs it 12v lead into the car when she parks and unplugs it when she drives off.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/242842/ctek_multi_xs3600.html

I've bought this 3.6amp version, but there's a cheaper 1.8amp version that would do for simple top up charging....

Even a 1.5watt solar chargers is only putting out 0.1amp, so there's a massive difference. You'd need a dozen or more solar panels to put out the power of even the cheaper 1.8amp auto charger.

Here's the cheaper version...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CTEK-MULTI-XS800-Battery-Charger-12v-Cheapest-EBAY-/260607045519?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cad63ef8f

I've installed it in her house, extended the 12v leads out into the drive and she simply leaves it switched on in the house all the time, plugs it 12v lead into the car when she parks and unplugs it when she drives off.

Hope she never forgets she has it on before setting off!!! :eek:

Often hapens to motorcyclists who use disclocks on the front wheel... A most embarassing drop of the bike, at the very least. As a tip, you can get a small plastic "Plug" that fits into the ignition switch. You will have to remove this to start the vehicle, thus reminding you of why it is there in the first place! I think it then just goes back onto your keyring, when not in the lock.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links