Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Gearchange

jw67

Had my Corolla a few days now and absolutely love it but,is it normal for the gearchange to be notchy especially into 3rd gear?It's not as smooth as my previous Jap car,a Nissan Primera,and almost spoils a great drive especially as everything else is so light and easy.The car is a 1.4 VVTi on a "W" plate,with 129,000 miles under her wheels :)

I'd say get used to it I have owned a few toyotas and all of them have had rough gearboxes and some have been low mileage cars, just seems to be the Toyota way.

Thanks for the reply :thumbsup: .As long as I know it's pretty normal,then at least I don't have to worry about a immenent bill already :)

Aaargh,this gearbox is driving me mad :help: .This is what i have.Very little movement between the clutch pedal being buried in the carpet and the biting point.Sometimes,when pulling away and pressing the clutch down to change into 2nd,it is like I have just come off the throttle as the the clutch doesn't disengage the drive so the car starts a quick engine braking type feeling yet 2nd gear isn't difficult to change up into.All gears change up fine but 3rd gear in particular is very obstructive indeed when changing down.There are no noises whatsoever from the gearbox or clutch.

I must say,in 24 years of driving (15 cars of my own)and hundreds of others from years in the motor trade before I left it some 12 years ago,this is one of the most frustrating gearboxes I have ever come across.May try bleeding the clutch and see if this helps at all,although the pedal doesn't feel spongy,the fluid looks very dark.

Any other suggestions/comments are welcome.

sounds like air in the clutch.

the clutch and brakes use the same hydraulic tank so you will have to bleed both I suspect.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links