Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Touching Up Stone Chips

molveees

Hi Folks

Has anyone tried one of the genuine toyota touch up paints that consists of the paint & lacquer? how well do the merge in with the rest of the body paint?

Is there a specific method to apply it other than whats written on the back of the bottles?

i only came across the paint by chance on fleabay that someone was selling really cheap, & matched my car paint code exactly. it comes with a brush which is way bigger than the areas i'd like to cover. what are the alternatives to using the supplied brush.

I have a small number of tiny stone chips on the bonnet which are not really that bad. I only want to treat them to make the bonnet as good as the rest of the car & avoid the possibility of rust setting in the long term.

The instructions talk about using fine sandpaper of a specific grit density. i do have all the sandpapers but as the area is small i am wondering if i can get away without using the sandpaper by thoroughly cleaning the area, applying the paint thinly & filling the rest using laquer either with a tiny brush or possibily toothpick?

from your post i would leave it to someone who knows what they are doing. after the grit was cut with rocks this winter the front of mine is now covered in chips - i have some spraying experience (wheels, interior) but i wouldnt do the front of a car, its going to the bodyshop for that. another thing to consider is the paint on the rolla is as thin as a smackhead so there isnt much to play with when it comes to blending it all in.

Touch up paint will never give an amazing finish that blends, they are just a way of keeping it looking ok until you take it to the body shop.

If you are confident with work such as this then have a go at it, but I would advise you to get it done professionally so you don't have to keep coming back to it. ;)

If they are only stone chips then use the paint you mentioned with a smaller brush, I use small brushes like the ones my kids use for painting, light brush strokes and a couple of coates.

As mentioned you will not get a perfect blend because of the chip you will still be able to see where the chip is close up but stand back and the paint is all you see, not perfect but better than bare metal.

I got scratches on my bonnet and front bumper, so i decided to get some touch-up paint to see if it helped with some of the more obvious marks. The 1st coat is a really good match, and seemed to go on really well. However you have to put the laquer on, and it just makes it look shiny and more obvious. Car will be getting a front bumper and bonnet respray at somepoint.

I got scratches on my bonnet and front bumper, so i decided to get some touch-up paint to see if it helped with some of the more obvious marks. The 1st coat is a really good match, and seemed to go on really well. However you have to put the laquer on, and it just makes it look shiny and more obvious. Car will be getting a front bumper and bonnet respray at somepoint.

I share the same opinion. Use a small brash and apply only the touch-up paint. Don't apply the laquer.

A cocktail stick is also good for applying touch up paint.

I've had good results mixing a small amounts of paint and lacquer together before applying.

I share the same opinion. Use a small brash and apply only the touch-up paint. Don't apply the laquer.

I have never applied the laquer only the paint, the paint alone is O.K. so seems to be a case of don't apply the laquer.

cool! so the general consensus is "do not apply lacquer?". I thought lacquer was there to give the paint work a bit of depth as well as shine.

the paint wont match without laquer - been there done it. depends what you want - if you want a good finish (which is what i pressume?) then you wont get that with a lil artist brush and touch up so why bother in the first place. you may as well use them strips provided - that will be as discreet but at least the right colour.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links