Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I'm Buying A T180

Steve Hebby

Had a BMW120D for the last 3 years and changing over next Tuesday to a T180. Due to the snow last year (and living at the bottom of an hill) I had nearly a week where I couldn't get to my job and decided I needed a good 4x4 with a similar performance and fuel consumption to the 120D. I've done my research on several 4X4s over the last few months and the Rav4 T180 has come out way in front of the others. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy the T180 :) :) :) :) :)

Welcome to the club.

I did the very same thing last year: Out with the 320D and in with the T180. You may not be so impressed with the MPG from the Rav as compared to the Beamer, but I agree that you have probably made the best choice of 4x4. There were a couple of teething troubles when I first had it, but with a little experience and some help on this forum, it's fine now.

I had to visit family in both Yorkshire and Wales when the snow was pretty bad. The Rav just took it all in its stride. I've fitted a reversing camera and replaced the bonnet prop with a pair of gas struts (missed the ones on my 320D). I've done about 10k miles in it now, without any dramas.

Good luck.

Great car to own and drive thumbsup.gif, had mine for three years and was trouble free for 36,000 miles (proof that not everyone has a problem with the run flats during their ownership).

I just bought a T180 last month for the exact same reason as you mentioned. I live in the Highlands of Scotland (near Aviemore) and have had far to much disruption last winter. I have also bought a set of 17" XTR wheels and I am planning to fit a set of dedicated winter tyres before November

I am loving my T180 so far. Good choice!

Blue

Yip, had mine since Feb and still loving it. The run flats were an issue for me so i bought a spare wheel/tyre and popped it in the boot. Once the run flats need changing im getting the bands cut off. I get about 400 miles on a full tank which aint bad. Best car I have owned in a long time. ENJOY

Had mine since dec 2008, was a bit of a bargin as paid 11500 for it with 42000 on the clock, at the time 4x4,s were geting bad press and used car prices were being hit hard.

Had a 2005 golf gti before that but had to sell due to split with x ended up with a bmw 118d which was ok but missed the tourqe of the golf,wanted somethig with lots of space, 4 wheel drive and a bit of the tourqe of the golf. After looking at lots of car,s the t180 was the one for me,so far i have fitted running boards and front bumper guard, allso due to new gilfriend reversing into a parked car'(with parking sensor,s and reversing camra fitted)spliting rear bumper, had to fit a silver rear bumper guard, by rgm i think, which cover,s the split and allso looks very good.

In sept 2009 had the check 4x4 system lights come on,took down to toyota and ended up with a new cat and other bits fitted for free even though car was over 3 years old, so very happy with toyota uk.

As for mpg around town i get about 28. on a run about 37 at 70, and if i drive like a nun can get just over 40. In the snow it has been great and will not ghange my car for a while as can not find something as good for the money.and as for runflats will have them cut off and normal ones fitted when the time comes.

Enjoy your t180 it,s the best car i,ve had yet

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a 2006 rav4 t180 yesterday, had a 250mile drive home and was impressed.

Can anyone tell me what satnav dvd i need as this was missing? ive seen them on eBay but not sure if they are the correct disc.

thanks mart

Just picked up a 2006 rav4 t180 yesterday, had a 250mile drive home and was impressed.

Can anyone tell me what satnav dvd i need as this was missing? ive seen them on ebay but not sure if they are the correct disc.

thanks mart

Log on to this site for Toyota DVD for T180 Sat Nav - about £135

http://www.toyota-mapupdates.eu/

Depends on Euro exchange rate - you get four DVD's covering Europe - I only wish Toyota did just a single one at at fair price for UK only as I have no plans to go abroad! Sat nav is quite good but does not accept full post codes like my wife's £60 SatNav !! ie SK23 9 does give a list of streets - wifes SatNav SK23 9RP that gives exact street.

Known fault on T180 engine - oil leak from timing cover and perhaps sump - depending on year and mileage (if still in waranty) dealer should reseal - needs engine out- mine done about 2000 miles ago - super vehicle - one of the best I have had and it goes like a rocket when needed.

Do not worry too much about run flats - modern tyres seem to have less punctures than the old crossply tyres - Had my T180 from new for nealy two years.

Best wishes

Guy

Another option - I've got a set of genuine update disks from my previous 4.3. (XT5 - same satnav as T180). Was going to put them up for sale, in the "for sale" section, but haven't got around to it yet. (In fact there are one or two other bits and pieces I have for a 4.3 now surplus to requirements).

PM me if interested in the disks and if you are not too bothered about the latest maps. I'm not close to them at the moment and can't remember the map version. They will be probably about 2 years old. Will check later.

I can do much better than £135 for this set!!

Don't forget to buy a full set of alloys and winter tyres if you have a lot of problems in winter.

Even with temporary 4x4 the summer runflats don't perform as well in temp's as low as 7 degrees and even thought it's a 4x4 you still have grip problems on summer run flats.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links